• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock Extreme3 Gen 3 Problem- No onboard sound/audio at all.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brownie4life

My new gaming rig just came in the mail 2 days ago and i built it (Although with some problems. ASRock has got some serious Bios bugs.) But everything's set up and working perfectly except for the part where i get absolutely no onboard audio.

There is no POST beep, and nothing i plug in will work either. No speakers, mic, or headset whether in the front panel or the back into the motherboard. I managed to get sound through my monitor because the geforce 560 ti has sound capability but i need to be able to plug the headset and speakers in.

All the latest drivers are installed, and in the sound tab in control panel, I can even see the realtek hd output and it's showing that it's working perfectly. Do i have to RMA the board? Any help would be awesome, thanks guys.

This was supposed to go into Intel motherboards section. My bad, anyway delete thread?

Have you already tried changing the speaker settings in the Realtek HD Audio Manager? I'll move the thread to the Intel MBs forum for you.

Thank you my man, appreciate it. And yea, problem is, it won't detect anything i plug in.

I tried disabling front audio detection but that still resulted in nothing being played. The sound settings on both control panel and hd audio manager look fine. The reason i think onboard audio is dead is because I don't get a POST beep.

soundi.png

Last edited:
Bios is currently 1.3.0 and Yes sir. That's the exact driver i installed. I've reinstalled about five times too.

I actually did that too.... two days ago. No response yet.

Guess this thing's being RMA'd back to Newegg. I even oc'd it to 4.7 ghz at 1.39 stable and everything. Waste of my time

I'd probably wait a day or two before RMA'ing it. There are quite a few users here that own that same board, and may be of more help to you.

I'll take your word for it. I was gonna wait till Monday anyways. UPS doesn't ship on sundays. If anyone can help me fix it though, man that would be awesome

:welcome: to the forums!

What are your other computer spec's? Specifically, what memory are you using?

Also, what version of Windows are you using?

I have also been struggling with this motherboard. The onboard audio works, but the top PCI slot doesn't detect my sound card (works find in the second PCI slot though.) RMAd to NewEgg, got a new one, same problem. The sound card works perfectly fine in every other PCI slot in various computers, so it must be something messed up with the MOBO.

I just bring this up to suggest you might want to consider a MOBO from another Vendor rather than go through rebuilding twice like I have =/

I have also been struggling with this motherboard. The onboard audio works, but the top PCI slot doesn't detect my sound card (works find in the second PCI slot though.) RMAd to NewEgg, got a new one, same problem. The sound card works perfectly fine in every other PCI slot in various computers, so it must be something messed up with the MOBO.

I just bring this up to suggest you might want to consider a MOBO from another Vendor rather than go through rebuilding twice like I have =/

Honestly man, I'm not huge into sound cards or sound in general. I don't use my computers for music, I got a sound system for that seperately. All I ask for is onboard sound. I feel like that's not too much to ask for.

However, I did OC my cpu to 4.7 ghz stable and 60 degree temps with 1.4v so the mobo is pretty good for the price i must admit. I just really wish onboard sound would work.

I installed the audio driver off asrocks site and my audio works fine. A few people have complained about audio problems so maybe your onboard is defective. I read a lot of the reviews on newegg and it seems like people having issues w/ this board have more then one problem, such as bad ram slots, bad pcie slots, and audio seems to be an issue too. Mine so far has been running fine, PCIe works great a long w/ ram and audio.

I did have some major issues at first but i later found out my gskill ddr3 was defective so after getting a new set everything has been good. Also the last nvidia driver (285. i think) did crash every now and then but the new 295.73 has been working great.

Just curious you do have a speaker plugged in for the POST beep right? I had to use one in had in my box of parts since the board doesnt come w/ one.

Have you gone into device manager and checked if all the yellow exclamation points are gone?

Last edited:
hey i have had same problem with is mobo and Asrock makes you pay for shipping so it not worth it just go get a Asus Xonar DX and trust me it worth the money because this will not be the last time you have to RMA

Back