• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Purchased a Hyper 212 plus fit in my case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkclock

Registered
I recently posted a thread asking about a good recommendation for a good Air CPU heatsink fan, so i went ahead and order the Heat sink, which was the cool masters hyper 212 plus. I later found out its 4 mm to big for my case. I have a ..Raidmax Sagitta II case

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=jcRJT63KOoe-tweAh7zuAg&ved=0CEQQ8wIwAw

CPU Fan i bought was: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
Hyper 212 plus. I was really disappointed when i found out this heat sink wouldn't fit. It was so close, but the top prongs hit my side fan on my case, so the only way i can install this heat sink is to remove my side fan. I don't want to that, so can someone recommend a Heat sink that is similar in quality and is a little smaller than the Hyper 212 plus.

thanks

Old post about the recommendation --> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693462&highlight=darkclock

Last edited:
The problem with side fans is that they can easily upset the air-flow thru the case which in general is from lower front to upper rear. That side fan blowing in, can easily upset that flow. I think I would leave the side grill there and remove the side fan and use the 212 EVO. That however is myself after having had to change my mind on case fans before.

Yes, If i was in your situation....... I would rather take that side fan off and use Hyper 212 plus.
From my personal experience side fans can easily create vortexing of air flow......
I would rather use that side fan on my case front if i have room.

I noticed 3 degree drop on temp after removing side fan and another 2 degree after after adding that fan on front side.
Good luck !

The problem with side fans is that they can easily upset the air-flow thru the case which in general is from lower front to upper rear. That side fan blowing in, can easily upset that flow. I think I would leave the side grill there and remove the side fan and use the 212 EVO. That however is myself after having had to change my mind on case fans before.

Basically your saying that my side fan isn't really do much and it wouldn't effect any of the cooling if i did in fact remove it, so i could fit that sexy Hyper 212 plus on my CPU instead!

side.gif

--> My case is the second one they talk about here that looks like Alien ware case.

In my case there is also a spot for a 120mm fan in the front where the hard drive bay are. I was actually in the process of installing that fan! Would that front 120mm fan be more beneficial then my side fan? I Would then have a back exhaust 120 mm fan in the back, front 120mm fan left over if I remove the side fan, and of course the huge Cool master Hyper 212 plus CPU heat sink.

I am looking to over clock my AMD Phenom II X3 710 2.6GHz Socket AM3 as much as possible without overheating it. That the whole reason i decided to buy a nice CPU heat sink.

Yes, If i was in your situation....... I would rather take that side fan off and use Hyper 212 plus.
From my personal experience side fans can easily create vortexing of air flow......
I would rather use that side fan on my case front if i have room.

I noticed 3 degree drop on temp after removing side fan and another 2 degree after after adding that fan on front side.
Good luck !

Generally speaking, the only reason i like the side fan because it has a blue LED built into it. My case came with blue LEDs, so that side fan enhances the led look to my case. <-- That one reason stopped me from removing it.

If i wanted to remove the case fan, i see one problem, a guy at computer store pointed out when i brought it in to see if he had a CPU heat sink that would fit my case. He pointed out that if i take off the side fan i will have to some how fasten my side plate where the fan is attached to.

Any have any experience with that? Also i would really like to keep this CPU heat sink because i can't find any other one that is as nice. Unless you can direct me to one ;)

I looked at the fan you recommend it. It looks like a nice replacement if i want to keep the side fan, but i would rather order from newegg, so if you could recommend one from newegg that would be very helpful.

If you guys give me good reason why the side fan isn't doing much I might be obligated to remove it! I'm looking for the best cooling i can get in my case, so if that means removing the side fan, i will do it! It would be nice not having to deal with reshipping this Cool master hyper 212 plus heat sink back :(

PC Specs:

Gigabyte motherboard: GA-MA790XT-UD4P
Heat sink: currently cheap Xtreme Gear CPU fan that locked up.
Ram: 2 * 4Gb Gskill and 2* 2GB = 12Gb of ram total
Graphic Card: ATI 4870 1gb version
CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 710 2.6GHz Socket AM3
Fans: One rear 120mm fan , Side 120mm fan and adding a Front 120mm fan for the hard drives.
Power supply: Sigma Shark 635w

Thank you for the fast replys! Such a great community you guys are here! :)

Last edited:

The fan you just recommended is out of stock? It looks to big to fit in my case i might have to say.

I read on earlier post in this thread, that stated :

Trent"says":. Still a 120mm fan-based tower cooler but only 155mm tall; 4-5 mm shorter than many others like it. It may work for you. A great cooler, too. The one you have now is 158.5mm tall.
--> How did you get these measurements ?

If i were you i would just get some nuts at your local hardware store to fasten those
screws in place after you remove the side fan. That heatsink is one of the best on the
market and shouldn't go to waste because of a LED.

I actually have the exact same heatsink cooling my 960T unlocked 6 core (3.5Ghz).
I run at 36C Idle and 52C Under load (1 hour Prime95).

If i were you i would just get some nuts at your local hardware store to fasten those
screws in place after you remove the side fan. That heatsink is one of the best on the
market and shouldn't go to waste because of a LED.

I actually have the exact same heatsink cooling my 960T unlocked 6 core (3.5Ghz).
I run at 36C Idle and 52C Under load (1 hour Prime95).

I might take that into consideration and remove that side fan because i had feeling this fan was one of the best Air Heat sink's you can buy. I was very disappointed when i found out it wouldn't fit with my side fan, but i could see if it fits good without the side fan. Thanks for sharing your personal experience you had with this heat sink, that helps a lot!

Any other recommendation if i decide to buy different heat sink? Options are always handy ;)

Last edited:
I would take the side fan off, its not going to do much other then suck in a lot of dust clogging the inside of the case up eventually.

Why not move it to the back if you like to see the LED's that way you can see it through the window.

The fan you just recommended is out of stock? It looks to big to fit in my case i might have to say.

I read on earlier post in this thread, that stated :

Trent"says":. Still a 120mm fan-based tower cooler but only 155mm tall; 4-5 mm shorter than many others like it. It may work for you. A great cooler, too. The one you have now is 158.5mm tall.
--> How did you get these measurements ?

I looked on the manufacturers' websites.

There has been some input from forum members whose opinions I respect to the effect that side fans actually harm case air flow result in higher temps. Seems like the cheapest and the best solution is to remove the side fan. Like someone else said already, it would be easy to secure the fan cover by going to the hardware store and getting some small screws and nuts. Or, just get a skinner case fan. Instead of getting a 120x25 mm fan, get a 120 x 15 mm fan: http://www.cooltechpc.com/c/ctpc/std/sku=nexus_120mm_15mm.html

A few things for thought.

There are many things to consider when throwing stuff into a case and coming to the point of overclocking and adding heat.

I have just g00gled for about 2 hours and read a bunch of forum threads/posts that were by and large "opinion" without real consideration about fact.

Here are a couple of links that may help a little in deciding on case air flow. With side mounted fans and bottom mounted power supplies there have been changes. But if you have a normal (what was normal top mounted ATX P/S) then that most bottom link shows the why of moving to ATX designed motherboards.

A thought and why I linked two of them is they are from a case manufacturer.

Tech Talk
The effect of airflow direction and air channeling inside computer chassis.

Home Support Tech Talk at Silverstone. Multiple Topics at TechTalk.Includes at least
3 computer case cooling articles

ATX motherboard design changes from the old AT standard.
Third, a cooling path from the lower front to the upper rear of the case vents hot air through the power supply and/or an exhaust fan. All three major improvements are centered on splitting the board between the slot and CPU area.

I would take the side fan off, its not going to do much other then suck in a lot of dust clogging the inside of the case up eventually.

Why not move it to the back if you like to see the LED's that way you can see it through the window.

Yeah looks like the best decision is to remove the side fan and maybe replace it with small side fan or none at all. I like your idea on removing the LED fan i like and putting it on the back. It would create the same amount of light at the same height as the side fan Thanks!
I looked on the manufacturers' websites.

There has been some input from forum members whose opinions I respect to the effect that side fans actually harm case air flow result in higher temps. Seems like the cheapest and the best solution is to remove the side fan. Like someone else said already, it would be easy to secure the fan cover by going to the hardware store and getting some small screws and nuts. Or, just get a skinner case fan. Instead of getting a 120x25 mm fan, get a 120 x 15 mm fan: http://www.cooltechpc.com/c/ctpc/std/sku=nexus_120mm_15mm.html

Thanks for taking the time to give me some legit facts on, why the side fan isn't really worth having! If i do in fact still want a side fan I'll probably take your advice and buy a smaller one. I just hope if I bought the smaller side fan the Hyper 212 plus will still fit perfect!

There are many things to consider when throwing stuff into a case and coming to the point of overclocking and adding heat.

I have just g00gled for about 2 hours and read a bunch of forum threads/posts that were by and large "opinion" without real consideration about fact.

Here are a couple of links that may help a little in deciding on case air flow. With side mounted fans and bottom mounted power supplies there have been changes. But if you have a normal (what was normal top mounted ATX P/S) then that most bottom link shows the why of moving to ATX designed motherboards.

A thought and why I linked two of them is they are from a case manufacturer.

Tech Talk
The effect of airflow direction and air channeling inside computer chassis.

Home Support Tech Talk at Silverstone. Multiple Topics at TechTalk.Includes at least
3 computer case cooling articles

ATX motherboard design changes from the old AT standard.
Third, a cooling path from the lower front to the upper rear of the case vents hot air through the power supply and/or an exhaust fan. All three major improvements are centered on splitting the board between the slot and CPU area.

Thanks for taking the time to search for air flow those links help out. Basically from the links you provided me, if want air flow to flow a certain way i have to buy a filter for the fan, which makes sense. I am beginning to think that air flow isn't that big of a deal anymore.

I'll update you guys on how the fan installations go!

Well if you create a dead spot in the area of the fan intake that cools the cpu, then air-flow will begin to make sense.

Air flow is a big deal. You must dissipate heat. You can have the biggest baddest CPU cooler in the world but if you're using warmed air to try to cool it it won't do well.

Last night after removing my side case fan i found out that the current fan screens screw into the fan its self by securing the side fan & base plate. I can't keep the fan base plate fastened unless the fan is attacked because the screws have nothing to screw into if i just want to attach the fan base plate without the fan. I am wonder if i can find some screws that are made for attaching fans that will have nut or some type of attachment so the screws have something to screw into? Can you please recommend me some? I know we addressed this issue before, but im not sure what i need to keep this base plate attached without the fan in its place?

currently i have these screws : http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Mounting-Case-Fan-Screws/dp/B0002AFTD6

You will need to visit a hardware store, lowes, home depot, fastener place and get some different screws. I don't think you will find a nut to fit them.

If you have an old dead fan or something you don't mind sacrificing you can snip the parts of the fan that the screws thread into and use that. You might could even use a hacksaw to thin an old gutted fan enough to make it fit. That would be more work though.

Back