• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am stuck, V7 Ubuntu 10.10 help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
Folks need some help. I used the software install in Ubuntu(Just to see if it worked) I put in my name,team,and passkey. Then did it again with the command line in a terminal. then I searched every where and found the config.xml in lets see...I forget:eek:

I have to go look but any way...

I am drawing a blank on the config.xml file. I found it and it has my info but its says copy this file to config.xml. What do they mean by that ? Do we have to copy it somewhere else? Also I can't find any info in the log for flags. Is that all kept and placed in the xml as well?

Like how to flag for a -oneunit? I know enough to shut the client with ctrl c then issue the command in terminal but whats the command?

Thanks for the help with this beta client, I'll know my around in a week but right now I am lost.

Oh and is there a -bigadv flag or will it count 32 cores and give me one?

Oh and I know there are scripts but I prefer doing it manually so I learn something(Unfortunately I then forget..but that's another issue)
I could have installed the v6 in my sleep.:(

They had an instruction bad for Ubuntu when I tried to get the V7 to run on Tanker, so I had to use 6.34.

To set a flag, you set the user mode (upper right hand corner), to "advanced" or "expert", then click on the (upper left hand corner), Config tab, and then on "Slots". Edit your slot type by clicking on the type you want, and save that (lower right hand corner).

Yes, your flags can be all put into the config xml file, or set with buttons you click on. "Quit" -- stops everything, including the cores.
"Finish" - same as -oneunit used to be. "Pause" - actually stops the core, but the V7 client remains loaded, and will restart them when you click on "Fold", next time.

What version of V7 do you have?

They had an instruction bad for Ubuntu when I tried to get the V7 to run on Tanker, so I had to use 6.34.

To set a flag, you set the user mode (upper right hand corner), to "advanced" or "expert", then click on the (upper left hand corner), Config tab, and then on "Slots". Edit your slot type by clicking on the type you want, and save that (lower right hand corner).

Yes, your flags can be all put into the config xml file, or set with buttons you click on. "Quit" -- stops everything, including the cores.
"Finish" - same as -oneunit used to be. "Pause" - actually stops the core, but the V7 client remains loaded, and will restart them when you click on "Fold", next time.

What version of V7 do you have?
Where are you seeing the FAHControl? I have only used the console. It seems to be installed but how do you start it?

FAHClient starts it(the fah process) up in console but FAHControl does nothing, what am I missing. All these problems I am seeing may go away when I actually install Ubuntu to a HD.

I thought I would get a GUI at some point. I am using Version 7.1.48

Last edited:
V7 has a GUI! I'd help you, but my attempt to use V7 in Linux failed, so I'm not much help I'm afraid.

For the moment, I'd just use 6.34 client console in it.

V7 has a GUI! I'd help you, but my attempt to use V7 in Linux failed, so I'm not much help I'm afraid.

For the moment, I'd just use 6.34 client console in it.
But you described what I thought it must look like where did you see that at?

Unfortunatly until I can -oneunit I'm stuck! I can't shut it down! Defcon 1, total nuclear devastation:) Its running fine I just can't monitor it. I think I'll get the points.

But you described what I thought it must look like where did you see that at?

Unfortunatly until I can -oneunit I'm stuck! I can't shut it down! Defcon 1, total nuclear devastation:) Its running fine I just can't monitor it. I think I'll get the points.

I have the V7 client running on two Windows computers, that's how I know.

It may sound hideous, but you can always disconnect the internet from the folding rig, and then let it finish folding. Then reconnect the internet cable (so it can't send it while you are distracted from watching it), and watch the console log, as soon as it's finished sending in the wu - disconnect it again.

Then use system manager to stop the folding processes.

There are two .deb files to download, the client and control. both install by double clicking on the downloaded file. FAHControl will not run on 11.04 or 11.10 without curing a python dependancy problem and I never bothered to do that, choosing instead to revert to 10.10 which I like better than the Unity versions of Ubuntu. Control runs fine on 10.04 and 10.10. FAH control can be found in applications/science in the ubuntu GUI once installed. Control can be used to edit everything on the client. Once you have it as you want it, you can quit control (in Linux).

There are two .deb files to download, the client and control. both install by double clicking on the downloaded file. FAHControl will not run on 11.04 or 11.10 without curing a python dependancy problem and I never bothered to do that, choosing instead to revert to 10.10 which I like better than the Unity versions of Ubuntu. Control runs fine on 10.04 and 10.10. FAH control can be found in applications/science in the ubuntu GUI once installed. Control can be used to edit everything on the client. Once you have it as you want it, you can quit control (in Linux).
Thanks, I thought it downloaded it through Software, I'll download it manually, I am on 10.10. I only have one piece of software and it must be the client. So that also answers my other question ChasR;) Its funny I can't find in a software search, just shows me what I already have installed. The GUI part will have this make sense. I thought it was half broken. Looks like I had everything set up right, I received credit.

Bigadv is automatic? I chewed through a 7808. TPF 3:50 aprox .
Thanks Guys:thup:

SMP folding is chosen if multiple cores are detected by V7 by default, but not bigadv AFAIK, you have to opt in for that.

Use control to edit the smp slot and add client-type with a value of bigadv. While editing the slot add next-unit-percentage with a value of 90 to 100%, depending on your tpf and download speed. You don't want to get the WU downloaded too early (the QRB clock starts running) or too late (idle time). Default is 99%. If you have a slow connection or a very fast one, you will want to set this.

Finally have some time to devote to this again, I am trying to figure out why its either not installing or just isn't showing up in Application/Science. It doesn't start with the command line either.:-/

Does FAHControl show up in installed software?
No.

At this point I am having so many issues running off the USB that Ubuntu has become the problem. Once an SSD arrives(Hopefully today) I think a proper install will solve any problems I am having.

If you have ever had one of these bug out, you know what I mean...The cursor has turned into an X, the close buttons have disappeared form open windows etc.

I thought a couple reboots might get it straightened out... nope.

Its running Rosetta OK and I could probably get the old client running. I'll just wait and finish my other parts of this build. Anonymous or someone else received the credit for the wu's completed, the client ran fine for the day and a half I was gone.

I thought the first went to me but it must have been one of my other rigs.

If you install the FAHClient correctly, it goes through a menu that asks for your user name, team number and passkey before it starts running WUs. By correctly I mean download the file and double left click on it. THe ubuntu software center will start and carry through the installation. Alternatively you can download the file and install it with dpkg. Both those methods worked for me.

If you install the FAHClient correctly, it goes through a menu that asks for your user name, team number and passkey before it starts running WUs. By correctly I mean download the file and double left click on it. THe ubuntu software center will start and carry through the installation. Alternatively you can download the file and install it with dpkg. Both those methods worked for me.
I did that, I have no idea why I didn't receive the credit. The terminal allowed me to see the 5 or 6 that completed 100% (smp)

So that only leaves me to think I gave them to someone else, (I figured anonymous)I'll look at are EOC stats and see if there is user named dfonda-Team32 instead of dfonda_Team32:)

and I went back to the V6 client...Yes tail between my legs. I thought I read that the dependencies had been fixed, not the case. I just couldn't work on it anymore when its clearly not ready for prime time. I fail at Beta testing. :eek: OH and I'm back on 11.10 with an HD. Sorry but its what I'm used to.:chair: "The Kracken" installs the same on this version of Ubuntu.

Everything became stable with a proper install.

Back