• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stable to unstable overclock????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orangehaze68

Registered
Hi Everyone!

Hope your all good! Im having problems with overclocking my graphics card (see sig), I had the core clock set at 989Mhz and memory clock at 1363Mhz, voltage at 1.25 it think (could have been 1.75 cant remember) it ran pretty stable ran 3dmark and furmark no problems, temps didnt go over 70*C. I was using both Catalyst Control Centre and ASUS Smartdoctor. I put a new Fan on the CPU and since Smartdoctor kept changing the voltage back down to 1.1v so removed Smartdoctor and put GPU Tweak on, It seems to only go upto 950Mhz but even that is REALLY UNSTABLE, I keep getting display drivers have stopped responding and have recovered every few seconds till i revert back to default. I cant see how the CPU fan would effect the G/C, is that possible?
I would appreciate any help you could offer!!!
Thank you
Orangehaze68

Hi, welcome to the forums!

I've moved your thread to AMD GPUs, as it's likely to get more replies here.

Have you monitored your GPU temperatures while overclocked? It may be overheating, and the change of CPU fan may simply have altered the airflow in your case a little.

Thanks! It doesnt give me a chance to check within about 5 seconds it goes hay wire.

Display driver crashing is because you don't have enough v-core going to the core/ plus possibley your memory speed is too high. I'd downclock your memory and find the max core speed then find come back to find your max memory speed.

Try either sapphire trixx or afterburner and then unlock voltage control. and disable overdrive from ati ccc,
To monitor your temps, use hwmonitor as it records min and max temps.

880 /1375 @ 1.175 is stock for a 6970.

So I imagine gpu tweak isn't actually increasing your v-core on the g-card, what does gpu-z show your max v-core.

Thanks for the responce!
I turned off ccc orverdrive, checked my v-core with gpu tweak and gpu-z, which was showing 1.25 (does that sound about right), as it had auto set at 950Mhz memory was 1250Mhz seemed stable in 3dmark in windowed do more testing) on only a couple of tests better.
Will get back to you on resaults.
Thank you!
Orangehaze68

Thanks for the responce!
I turned off ccc orverdrive, checked my v-core with gpu tweak and gpu-z, which was showing 1.25 (does that sound about right), as it had auto set at 950Mhz memory was 1250Mhz seemed stable in 3dmark in windowed do more testing) on only a couple of tests better.
Will get back to you on resaults.
Thank you!
Orangehaze68

1.25 is on the higher side of things but usually required to get over 930mhz core speed. As long as temps are ok then keep testing til you start getting unstable.

Back