• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power down and loud pop during eVGA OC Scanner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrsaturn7085

Last night I was stress testing the overclock I could achieve on my graphics card using eVGA Precision and eVGA OC Scanner. I had GPU-Z open at the time as well. I was running below 80deg C @ 810-875MHz core clock (shader synced to 2x core) and I did not modify the standard GPU voltage of 1.05V. After running for ~30 minutes, I bumped the core clock to 900 and still did not go past 86deg C (90deg C was the limit I was watching for). After about 8-10 minutes of testing, the entire system shut off, and within 5 seconds I heard a single loud pop. I shut down the power to the supply and unplugged the box.

This is a brand new build and I completed a quick examination of the motherboard and did not see any burst caps. The GPU was too hot to handle and I will complete a more detailed examination this evening. In the meantime, I was curious if anyone could give me some pointers on where to look? I have a decent amount of CPU/memory OC experience but have never touched the GPU before and I typically err on the side of caution; I have never had a sudden major failure of a component before. The details of my build follow:

ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z/GEN3 (BIOS 3103)
i5-2500K @ 4.6 (1.35V) w/Thermaltake Frio
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 9-9-9-24
eVGA GTX 560 Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra
Corsair 750HX
Corsair Force GT 120GB

Those temps were fine......warm, but not zOMG outlandish. However I would still look at the card. Check that thing for blown caps or anything toasted in the power delivery area. If you cant see parts, put your nose down by it. You will smell something burned if its on the card.

I am guessing that the PSU will not turn on when I pull it this evening. The GPU was not at a crazy temperature and the whole system shutting down like a light switch prior to the assumed cap failure makes me think that is where the problem is. If it doesn't test out, I'll do an RMA with Corsair and test the system with an old Antec supply I have lying around.

I also think it will be the PSU - I have had graphics cards running much hotter without problems (up to 103C!). I bet it is a faulty unit and tried to output more than it could handle.

Crossing my fingers... Corsair has been pretty good to me but the PSU probably has the widest manufacturing tolerances out of the possible failure points. Hopefully the PSU did it's job and didn't take out the rest of the components with it, should that be the case.

Survey says: PSU

All rails were completely dead. Cannot see the full extent of the internal damage without cracking the seal (voiding the warranty). Submitting an RMA through Corsair later today.

Yes, I have a spare PSU. Unfortunately, it is an older model that does not have the proper connections for the GPU supply. I could mod it, but I really don't feel like spending the time. I am requesting an advanced exchange in my RMA, crossing my fingers that Corsair can help me out.

Back