• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD signs of failure?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Methal

got this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227707
from microcenter about a month ago, today after booting into windows, updating facebook status, and leaving it idle for about an hour, windows hung. When i restarted the computer bios didn't detect it. Left for a few hours, and now it does detect it.

Would that be considered a sign of failure? Should I back the thing up and take it back?

If it says "Missing operating system" or something liek that, yeah, that sounds like early symptoms to me, i had a 20GB drop on me like that a month ago, it was just for a test bench and it hung up, and then looped restarting the bios screen until i got a message saying there was no HDD installed.

No, it is not a sign of failure. It is a known problem relating to buggy firmware. The SandForce drives sometimes fail to wake up from sleep and this causes Windows to BSOD. Disappearing on power cycle is another known SandForce firmware bug.

What you want to do is update to the latest firmware, which supposedly fixed most of the issues, although there are still some problem left.

Doing the update and seeing how it goes. Will it erase what i've got on the drive?

EDIT: "Firmware does not need to be updated."

Hope this thing doesn't die. But if it does, going to get an Intel.

Last edited:
A friend of mine had this issue with his agility 3. Multiple bluescreens, he finally found some information with little help from OCZ.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\0b2d69d7-a2a1-449c-9680-f91c70521c60]

Attributes"=dword:00000002

Link for more information:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/177819-ahci-link-power-management-enable-hipm-dipm.html

*EDIT:

The registry key info I provided is the Add_AHCI_Link_Power_Management_Option.reg download link there..

If the drive no longer detects, you likely have hit the Sandforce FW lock bug. Your drive essentially has bricked and needs to be flashed. This requires running a jumper and the Sandforce MPTool to flash your FW. You won't have access to any of these tools, so the drive will need an RMA if the FW has locked.

Back