Notices

Overclockers Forums > Software > Microsoft Operating Systems
Microsoft Operating Systems Microsoft Operating Systems and Applications
Forum Jump

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 03-02-12, 02:33 PM   #41
Mr Alpha

Ok, I've changed my mind. Metro is horrible. They've broken Start Menu Search. I can no longer access the device manger simple by hitting the windows key, typing "device manager" and hitting enter,
Mr Alpha is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-02-12, 03:38 PM   #42
txus.palacios
Premium Member #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Alpha View Post
Ok, I've changed my mind. Metro is horrible. They've broken Start Menu Search. I can no longer access the device manger simple by hitting the windows key, typing "device manager" and hitting enter,
No, please, tell me you're joking. So I can no longer run commands just by hitting Win and typing it?...

Metro just lost a few points. A HUGE FEW points...

The only sound I want to hear out of my computer (unless I'm gaming or watching a movie) is the hum of my 6000 rpm fan pushing air through my heatsink. - Seebs
If I turn up dead, somebody make sure they put "should have just benched in the cold" on my tombstone, along with my most recent superpi32m score. - I.M.O.G.
I didn't go water-cooling for an air-cooling Vcore!! - bluezero5
I'll rm -rf /yourface/* - thideras
txus.palacios is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-03-12, 04:41 AM   #43
neo668

I'm experiencing slight stutters and freezes with Win 8. Anybody else having the same problem?

Graphic: XFX HD6850 and MSI HD5450
Ram: ADATA DDR-3 1333 2x4GB
PSU: Antec NeoECO 520W
neo668 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-03-12, 05:53 AM   #44
txus.palacios
Premium Member #18

OK, the problem with the VM was that it seems I downloaded a corrupt ISO. Working like a charm on VMWare Workstation 8 right now.

And, @MrAlpha, you can still hit the Windows key, type a command, and it'll run it. You have to enable a feature called Show Administrative Tools or something among those lines to be able to hit the Windows key, type something like Device Manager (instead of the command, if you type devmgmt.msc, it ignores that) and run it.

First impressions are that this will rock on tablets and multitouch AIO systems, but at least, for me, I'll stick with Win7. Win8 Consumer Preview does not include the new filesystem (at least, it formatted my VMWare HDD as NTFS). I hope they release it.

They use a very similar wallpaper as they used on Win7 RCs, a fish, but this one is like a collage. I like it.

The only sound I want to hear out of my computer (unless I'm gaming or watching a movie) is the hum of my 6000 rpm fan pushing air through my heatsink. - Seebs
If I turn up dead, somebody make sure they put "should have just benched in the cold" on my tombstone, along with my most recent superpi32m score. - I.M.O.G.
Old 03-03-12, 07:12 AM   #45
habbajabba

C'mon guys it's really made for their $60,000 tabletop computer. That and an idiot to man it. kidding
Isn't there supposed to be some built-in process of internet activation (like crapple) which supposedly has already been hacked?

OS's, from my point of view, are nothing but a layer between you and a goal. All these eye candy crap wannabe touch(me elmo)phone interfaces do is tie you physically to something someone else made to take your attention ($'s nice too which then makes you a model slave). Nothing more nothing less. I love how apple likes to come out with new hardware at least twice a year. retarded imho

Evga 8400gs
Samsung 2232GW 2ms 22"
Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers
Memorex ext usb burner
Win7Ult 32bit/Manjaro dualboot
WD cav blue 320gb
Samsung F4 2tb
WD Blue 2tb
CP850avrlcd ups

Last edited by habbajabba; 03-03-12 at 07:23 AM.
habbajabba is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-03-12, 09:15 AM   #46
mgsickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangaskan View Post
microsoft thought of that.

bottom left hand corner if you click you get the start menu, top left your recent apps.

you can also pin your desktop and any app together, i'm not sure how to do it, but i saw it in a preview.
I know of the desktop feature in Win 8, but I want it to boot that way without Metro UI at all.

It is also a big pain not having a start menu and having to go through the Metro UI to find any app.

Tablet = Yes
Desktop/Laptop = Terrible and No

Gaming Rig:
i7 2700k:Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4:2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866:EVGA 680 GTX:Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200 Watt:256GB Crucial M4
heat
mgsickler is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-03-12, 02:19 PM   #47
aerick

Where's the screenshots? if you don't mind.

Intel P55 chipset
6GB DDR3 SDRAM
1TB SATA hard drive
DVD+/-RW optical drive
Sapphire hd 6870
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit
aerick is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-03-12, 03:09 PM   #48
Audioaficionado
Super Moderator

10 Year Badge

It looks like an effort to unify the UI look for both mobile and desktop users. If the desktop/laptop users without touch screens can't easily disable metro, I see another Vista PR fiasco.

Gigabyte DS3, 3GB GSkill 5-5-5-15-2t PC6400, E6400 @3.0GHz
Asus P5Q PRO Turbo, 4GB GSkill 5-5-5-15-2t PC6400, E6600 @3.0GHz
Iwill DH800, 2GB OCZ4002048PFDC-K 2.5-3-3-8-1t, Dual 2.4 M0 Xeons 1.5v/880/3300
Help improve overclockers.com! Get involved!

You have over 101 posts and Can't see the classifieds???Click This Link
Anyone we catch cookie stuffing at this site will be banned on the spot!!
Audioaficionado is online now Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-03-12, 07:12 PM   #49
mayagrafix

Overview

Here is comprehensive review of Win8 from ZD-Net
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/windo...;siu-container

Old 03-03-12, 09:35 PM   #50
neo668

I can see ppl on XP or Vista, touch screen and tablet users, looking to upgrade would go directly to Win 8. But for present desktop users of Win 7 there is not much of an incentive to upgrade. Why pay for something that is no better than what you already have (Win 7)?

Graphic: XFX HD6850 and MSI HD5450
Ram: ADATA DDR-3 1333 2x4GB
PSU: Antec NeoECO 520W
neo668 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-04-12, 11:17 AM   #51
nd4spdbh2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioaficionado View Post
It looks like an effort to unify the UI look for both mobile and desktop users. If the desktop/laptop users without touch screens can't easily disable metro, I see another Vista PR fiasco.
agreed, as many others have said before and will undoubtedly say again.... nice interface on a tablet.... HORRIBLE HORRIBLE interface on a desktop / laptop interface.

its a good 3 or 4 extra clicks to do the same thing as windows 7. they really need an option to go with a FULL desktop interface, and disable the metro ui.... also the whole i closed out of an app but its still running in the background is just bs... when i close an app i want it closed.

like audio stated and i have been telling people since i played with the beta.... i have a feeling this is going to be a new vista.

#12 in the 4ghz core 2 duo club baby! - 52 inches of CRYSIS! - Black Belt Ubercloxx0r -- Heatware
Main -- Lian Li V2000b -- i7 2700k -- MSI Z68A-GD80 -- 12gb 1600 -- GTX560Ti --Adata 128gb S510 & 2x500gb -- Seasonic S12 600w -- Dell 2209WA
HTPC -- Silverstone GD05B -- E7200 @ 3.2ghz -- G41-M7 -- 4GB 800mhz -- g210 passive -- 320gb 2.5in WD -- Antec EA 430w -- 52inch Samsung LCD
Server -- Antec NSK4480B -- E3300 @ 2.5ghz -- ECS G33T-M2 -- 3gb 667mhz -- Onboard Vid -- 500Gb + 1TB hatachi + 1tb WD -- Zalman 400w
Netbook - Dell Mini 9 - Atom 1.6ghz - 8GB ssd - 2GB pc6400 - WIN 7 PRO!
Need 4 Speed - BH
nd4spdbh2 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-04-12, 11:55 AM   #52
Aldakoopa

This comes to mind...
Attached Images

Old 03-04-12, 12:03 PM   #53
fcomstoc

Just a thought: Windows 95's interface was much different than 3.1
Windows ME was just crap, I am with you on that one
Windows Vista looked different then XP
Windows 8 looks much different than 7

so my guess is that Windows 8 will be crap but their next version will be brillant.

HTPC: MacBook Pro 13in (Early 2011) - Upgraded to 8GB RAM // OSX Mavericks // Xubuntu 12.04
Folding User Stats
root@linux# mv /home /dev/null
fcomstoc is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-04-12, 03:16 PM   #54
nooster

Realy do not like the new metro interface. It feels clunky and reaks of iOS. I much prefer the layout of old (xp, win7).

I think over time I would get used to it, however nothing new that interests me.

Also 1 thing I can't get my head around, where is the shut down option (was in the start menu previously)
nooster is offline Benching Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-04-12, 04:09 PM   #55
txus.palacios
Premium Member #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooster View Post
Realy do not like the new metro interface. It feels clunky and reaks of iOS. I much prefer the layout of old (xp, win7).

I think over time I would get used to it, however nothing new that interests me.

Also 1 thing I can't get my head around, where is the shut down option (was in the start menu previously)
Charms menu > Settings > Power > Shut down

Old 03-04-12, 06:49 PM   #56
Aldakoopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooster View Post
On the front of your computer.

Old 03-07-12, 02:42 PM   #57
gangaskan

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by txus.palacios View Post
No, please, tell me you're joking. So I can no longer run commands just by hitting Win and typing it?...

Metro just lost a few points. A HUGE FEW points...

you can. i just tried it, however, "device manager" is not in the list of commands you can type. if its pinned in the start menu apps, it should be fine.

commands like control panel, cmd, etc will work for the most part.

i've been actively using build 8250, and so far, i'm impressed. a few things aren't compatible, like older hyper V servers, and some RSAT items. but nonetheless, its been pretty good for me so far as a "beta" is concerned.

people think that metro is fully designed for the tablet enviorment, but really, they've incorporated a few things to lower its frustration on a pc. and i put start8 on and i've been happy (using full metro for the start menu though myself, just used to having that dammed button there )

Main Rig: [Silverstone TJ06 painted hammer black] [Intel E6550 3.2 ghz 1.35v ] [4 gigs Gskil] [Asus P5k Premium Wifi/ap] [Soundblaster Audiguy ZS platinum] [ATI 3560 pro] [enhiem 1250 pump, Swiftech Storm, primoflex tubing, mcres micro, maze 4 gpu block][ Windows Vista x64 Ultimate sp1]
HTPC: [LianLI V300B] [Opty 165 1.88 ghz] [Thermalright XP90] [2 gb OCZ Platinum DDR400] [Soundblaster X-FI Xtreme Music] [8600GT Stock] [Windows Vista Home Premium sp1]
Server: [Rocketfish Tower] [c2d E6600][Scythe Ninja Jr] [4 gigs Gskil ddr2 800][ATI X850XT ] [Windows Vista B]
Network: Cisco 851W uptime: forever
Heatware
gangaskan is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-07-12, 03:19 PM   #58
Alaric

I haven't bothered with "fixing" the Metro UI. I already decided to stick with Win 7. I downloaded a couple utilities from Major Geeks and Win 8 didn't know what to open the setup with. The files were _exe , so I tried adding the file association to explorer and failed. After some head scratching I tried the blatantly obvious and changed the file names to .exe and they ran with no issues. I tend to overlook the obvious sometimes.
Overall I'm finding Win 8 to just be a pain in the @$$ to navigate and use. The Developer Preview was a lot better (for me). Unless I'm missing something really big , I smell another Vista in the new OS. It may be using fewer resources in hardware , but it seems to require more of my personal resources-not what I'm looking for in software. On the plus side , Windows 9 should be a winner!

It looks like most of the reviews are focusing on the Metro Mess , love it or hate it. That tells me the main body isn't newsworthy. Anybody find anything it does better than 7?
Alaric is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-07-12, 10:18 PM   #59
FX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsickler View Post
All my partitions are there, however it wont give me a choice to boot to windows 7. Anyone else experience this?
I have a tool for doing this. I actually found it reading this website when my W7 install would not boot after a fatal crash. I'll try to remember to get you the name in the morning.

Intel DZ68BC MB
16 GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866
2 TB WD Black Caviar HD
Intel 311 20 Gig SSD cache
Noctua CPU Cooler NH-U9B SE2
Dual Samsung S23A350H monitors
Logitech diNovo Edge keyboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium
FX4 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-07-12, 10:22 PM   #60
FX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldakoopa View Post
This comes to mind...
Well not to mess things up but Win 2k was a very good release and this skips the entire NT line that turned into Win2k, XP,...

Intel DZ68BC MB
16 GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866
2 TB WD Black Caviar HD
Intel 311 20 Gig SSD cache
Dual Samsung S23A350H monitors
Logitech diNovo Edge keyboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium
FX4 is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Microsoft Operating Systems