• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which mini diplayport adapter for eyefinity??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

notJUSTguitar

Hi.
I'm planning to get a few screens for eyefinity in the near future.

After a trade, I'll have this monitor from a friend:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236079

And then I'm thinking I will just get 2 more of those, and then I'll have 3 identical monitors.

I'll need a mini displayport adapter.
Probably to DVI? The monitor I'll be getting will have VGA/DVI/HDMI.

I'm not sure if it matters what adapter I get.
This comes up first on newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999030

So, my question is, is there a cheaper adapter that people use and know it works ok? Or is that one good?
What adapter to people use on here?

I don't have that much money to spend, so I'm trying to go as cheap as possible :)

Thanks,
-notJUSTguitar

I paid $90 each for mine, so if you are comfortable with the reviews, get it and try it out. I wish I would have seen this about 6 months ago. lol

Thanks for replying.
I almost made a big mistake and ordered the one I linked to. That one is a regular display port adapter, I need a mini displayport adapter.

I ordered this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200944
I've never heard of that brand..but 6 5-star reviews so I'm hoping it works fine.

I'll get it early next week (I love shoprunner 2-day shipping lol) and reply with how it works, and post a few pictures :)

Last edited:
That StarTech one you linked is fine, I have one myself. It's one of the few NewEgg carries that's on AMD's approved list. The section you're looking for is about two thirds of the way down, "Adapts: Mini DisplayPort™ to: DVI-D Single Link Active". They are fine for up to 1920x1200 resolution monitors. The $90 ones Lukee is talking about was probably something like this, which is what eyefinity early adopters were forced to buy. They do support higher resolutions (up to 2560x1600), but not necessary for most people.

That StarTech one you linked is fine, I have one myself. It's one of the few NewEgg carries that's on AMD's approved list. The section you're looking for is about two thirds of the way down, "Adapts: Mini DisplayPort™ to: DVI-D Single Link Active". They are fine for up to 1920x1200 resolution monitors. The $90 ones Lukee is talking about was probably something like this, which is what eyefinity early adopters were forced to buy. They do support higher resolutions (up to 2560x1600), but not necessary for most people.

Sweet, thanks for posting that. I didnt even think to check the approved adapter list lol.

Buying approved ones is a good idea, but as long as they are "active" they have a good chance of running. A few months ago I needed an adapter and didnt have time to run to the store, so I used the one for my MacBook Pro (MDP to DVI), it worked fine; but it is always a better idea to get approved ones.

Ok I've had eyefinity for several days now. I'm liking it a lot.
You pretty much always just look at the center screen, and have the side screens for peripheal vision. It does add to the game a lot though.

Only 'problem' is any screen on the Mini displayport to DVI connector has pretty bad screen tearing :(

I've searched it and I guess there isn't really a fix for it.....

I took a quick video of it in action :)
(crappy quality from phone camera at night).

(Is there a way to embed youtube videos?)

Back