General Motherboards
Forum Jump

Motherboard keeps blowing every few months :(

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 03-04-12, 07:20 AM Thread Starter   #1
joeblack643

Motherboard keeps blowing every few months :(

Hi,

My dad has 2 PCs both having this weird issue .. - the motherboard keeps blowing - either a capacitor blows or some chip burns etc .. He gets it fixed from a local store but 3 months and its again blown .. happened atleast 3-4 times now.

I dont think its an issue with the motherboard really .. one of the 2 PCs is one that i used for 2 yrs at my home without a single issue ..

My guess is the air at his house .. he stays close to the sea .. about a mile inland and I think its the humid air thats the culprit .. he doesnt have an AC in the computer room .. besides the motherboard the Power supply blows too sometimes .. not as frequent though. From your experiences do you think my guess is right ? Could there be other reasons .. and if this is the cause then do you good folks have some ideas to fix/workaround this annoying problem?

Many Thanks,
Joe
joeblack643 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 03-04-12, 07:45 AM   #2
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front
Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

My only suggestion, if it even is a humidity issue, is a Dehumidifier in that room.

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-04-12, 10:48 AM   #3
azuza001

+1 EarthDog. Also I would suggest him checking to see if he has dirty power at his home, how old is the house?

I blame Earthdog and Muddocktor for helping me pick some truly great parts. Thanks guys, now I'm broke and happy. :)

azuza001 is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-04-12, 11:10 AM   #4
Rotary

get a UPS power supply to keep the power going in your pc clean

ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6
2x OCZ Vertex 3 OCZSSD2-2AGTE120G 2.5" 120GB
SLi Zotac GTX680 4GB
Intel Core i7 930 2.8(OC 4.3) GHz
Bitspower Z-Multi 250/Bitspower 1/2in. 3/4in.OD
EK-Supreme HF - Nickel (All bitspower fittings)
EK-MOSFET ASUS X58 (EK-FB ASUS X58)
Swiftech MCP655-B 12v DC MCP655-B Pump EK
Swiftech 3X120/Swiftech 2X120mm
Rotary is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-04-12, 11:12 AM   #5
ratbuddy

He should probably look into a UPS, sound like a power issue.

edit: Heh, snoozed for a couple minutes before hitting submit and someone beat me to it

-----
Main - X3 450 - ASRock A790GMH/128M 790GX - 2x2GB G.Skill 4-4-4-12 - 2xWD Green 1TB - Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB - Silverstone TJ08 - Corsair CX400W

Nothin' up my sleeve..
ratbuddy is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-04-12, 11:03 PM   #6
Metlcub

get a UPS system, even if it's just for the comp and not the monitors, that should help about 90%. I dont think it's really the humidity, i used to live in Ocean City NJ, about 2 miles from the beach and never had an issue with any computers or what not. It's probably dirty power due to the wiring degrading from the salt air, not humidity.

Putting a UPS would be best bet. a Dehumidifier probably dont do much good, it's the Salt in the air that causes issues.

RAM Corsair Veng 12gig DDR3-1600
GPU EVGA 760 SC Acx
Storage 2tb HDD
DVD Samsung BD/DVD/CD
Inputs Logitech G510 and G700
Sound Sb X-Fi titanium , TB DX12
Case Haf X Advanced
PSU TT TR2 RX 750w
My Heatware
Metlcub is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > General Motherboards