• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R2E Dual Hard Drive issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drew@PSU

Hey all,

I feel a little disgusted with myself that I can't figure this out, but it's late (here at least) and my pride is not interfering anymore. I've got an R2E with an 920 and an intel 160GB G2 SSD in it.

Screaming system, except when I put in a second hard drive and it decides to completely lose it's mind. It will absolutely insist there is no boot media in it, even after I remove the second hard drive. This would appear to me to be the steps to bring it back to where it worked, but nothing doing, it still refuses to boot.

I have a feeling it corrupted my MBR and a quick fixmbr, fixboot will take care of it. What I don't understand is why this happens and what i can do to fix it. I'd really like to have 2 hard drives in there, particularly when I'm trying to grab someone else's data off of one.

Here's what I think may cause it:
-Since one of the two drives I put in used to be a primary boot drive, did the two boot partitions have a fight and knock themselves both out? (not likely, don't most BIOSes just go 1->2, not 1&2?)
-My SATA controller is tapped out with the SSD and DVD R and loses it's brains with more devices (also not likely, everything would just be slower, plus I doubt I'm anywhere near tapping that thing out)
-I have misconfigured something in the BIOS (most likely, I just can't for the life of me figure out what)
-BIOS error (not likely, enthusiast board, most have more than 1 hard drive anyway)

What I've tried:
-Run the drives in ACHI mode instead of IDE (I probably should have been running in ACHI mode from the beginning, but I didn't think of it)
-Different SATA port for the second hard drive (from 3-5, not sure it would help either way)
-Turn off all of the IDE options for the secondary drive

Tomorrow I'll grab my W7 disc and do a repair of the SSD install and go from there. If anyone else has had a problem similar to this, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Drew

Last edited:
Did you make sure that the boot order was still setup correctly after the install of the 2nd drive? Sometimes it will switch it around causing the issue you are seeing.

Tried that twice with no effect. I just gave up on it, I need to play games more than I need storage in the game PC. I'll try it again when I have more time to rebuild my computer again.

Back