Here is my current rig
ASUS P8P67 rev 3.0 motherboard
I5 2500k overclocked to 4.2 ghz
PC Power 750 w red PSU
500 gb Seagate Momentus xt hybrid HDD
Generic CD/dvd burner drive
4 gb Corsair Vengence
PNY Geforce 560 TI 1gb graphics card

I want to upgrade to the newer z68 board but lost as to which one. i am mainly running fsx, but want to take advantage of this ssd cache that the motherboard does, as well as sli my 560 ti. anyone use one of these motherboards? how well does it perform. how easy is it to setup the ssd cache?
Scotty21 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 03-08-12, 04:16 PM   #2
fornoob

If you seek a real increase in performance: SSD caching is not as interesting as a pure SSD solution (1 SSD + 1 HDD without caching). Simply because a lot of actions you do on your computer don't go in the cache or weren't in the cache when you asked for it: still pretty slow...

I was incredibly unlucky with ASUS Z68 MOBO (3 justified returns on 3 tries....), so I won't give you my back up on this point: I am not representative at all (or I hope so ^^').
I will let some others give their opinion on the MOBO.
fornoob is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-08-12, 06:25 PM   #3
Mago

Quote:
Originally Posted by fornoob View Post
If you seek a real increase in performance: SSD caching is not as interesting as a pure SSD solution (1 SSD + 1 HDD without caching). Simply because a lot of actions you do on your computer don't go in the cache or weren't in the cache when you asked for it: still pretty slow...

I was incredibly unlucky with ASUS Z68 MOBO (3 justified returns on 3 tries....), so I won't give you my back up on this point: I am not representative at all (or I hope so ^^').
I will let some others give their opinion on the MOBO.
i have the v pro have used SSD caching , better than HDD alone in my opinion but its not as fast at pure SSD,
have pure SSD now and not looking back....

SSD is the way to go and use the HDD as storage.....

if your board doesnt do caching, just wait and invest in a decent size ssd use the hdd as storage would be the best bet IMHO....

if you have a small ssd and hdd and the board is holding you back then that a judgement call on you..... pure ssd > caching>hdd.
if im wrong chime in.

Asus P8Z68 V Pro
16GB Corsair Vengence (4x4)
1000 Watt CM Silent Pro
Corsair H100
EVGA 780 TI SC W/ ACX
Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
120 GB OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOP
600 GB WD Velociraptor 10k
Mago is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-08-12, 07:05 PM   #4
xsuperbgx
Benching Team Leader

keep the current mobo and just buy an ssd as a disk drive. If you do have to update, wait for a z77 and at least that is a better upgrade.

LTC "LQPgAb7jbtYEzi6W9hnXsS4Xi3RLN7NDgu"
heat
xsuperbgx is online now Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > Intel Motherboards
Intel Motherboards