• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD prices going up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

medo145

Not sure if this belongs in the general discussion, wasn't there a computer related discussions section?

I've been eying nas solutions and HDDs to with it for a bit, and I've finally come to a decision on the nas. Looking at HDDs and their prices, it seems to me that they've gone up in price by about a third or in some cases by double of the prices they used to be.

Is it me or has anyone else noticed that as well?

I guess you don't follow computer related news as this has been discussed a bunch. Their was flooding in Thailand where most hard drives are manufactured which lead to a shortage and a huge price increase.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/28/us-thai-floods-drives-idUSTRE79R66220111028

I'd like to think that I do follow computer related news, but I must have missed that one. In any case, that explains it. Thank you.

Computer Related Discussion >>>> General Hardware

I believe that there was a computer related discussion in the discussions section (no post count). Didn't want to put it into the general hardware section, might as well fit in the storage section.

If you wait you may see some drive prices come down abit im not expecting big drops any time soon.

My suppliers tell me that Drive manufacturing has been ramping up again though , this doesn't guarantee price drops, due to losses in the entire industry.

Also the companies that make the parts that are used in the drives were also effected so Forecast is cost as a whole took a hit from parts to production.

I expect to see manufactures try and reclaim some losses by producing and selling at a higher premium than in the past but at least we might have some availability then as of right now finding enterprise drives for servers is hit and miss trying to find non seagate drives is even harder.

good luck on your search!

Prices are going down, but not that fast. It'll probably be another 5-6 months before we see prices like 2nd & 3rd quarter of 2011. The drive I have my eyes on at NewEgg, has already dropped $110 dollars since the price gouging (I'm calling it like it is), but still isn't near the $85 mark it was. So I'm just going to wait patiently till it drops back to normal.

I keep checking the hard disk prices every two week or so to see if there has been a change. Really need a backup drive for my server but I will be needing a 3TB drive. The thought of my 2TB RAID5 array being un-protected in rather unsettling :( but I simply cant afford a large backup disk with the current prices.

Hard drive prices, like everything else in the world of technology, are falling. However, there has been a significant hiccup due to the recent flooding disasters(which are much sadder than prices of computer parts going up)

Like always, the best solution is to wait it out.

I keep checking the hard disk prices every two week or so to see if there has been a change. Really need a backup drive for my server but I will be needing a 3TB drive. The thought of my 2TB RAID5 array being un-protected in rather unsettling :( but I simply cant afford a large backup disk with the current prices.

Buy used and within your country. I don't search for this stuff but there are probably much better deals to be had in this market. I have no idea what I could sell some of my old 1TB drives for but I can't imagine it being much more than $50? I don't even know. 20?

Buy used and within your country. I don't search for this stuff but there are probably much better deals to be had in this market. I have no idea what I could sell some of my old 1TB drives for but I can't imagine it being much more than $50? I don't even know. 20?

If only sellers were more reasonable like you. The majority are taking advantage of the price gouging and selling used drives for more then what they were new, even on this forum.

Ditto on that Tom10167

I bought 1 new ssd in the past 12 months and filled my hdd needs with used from within the USA, with good results. Let them choke on the high priced hdds !

Back