• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless USB Bridge?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

I have a telemetry recorder on an RC aircraft that connects to my computer via mini USB. If I could get a wireless USB bridge, I'd be able to get real-time data vs having it log the data and looking at it afterwards. Is there any way I could do that? Range required would be about 100-150m, though there would be absolutely no obstacles between my computer and the aircraft. Price would have to be less than $100. Some soldering and coding is fine.

Thanks!

I think that you would have to do some finagling, but you could probably get this to work. You may be able to trick your PC into thinking that the wireless port is a USB port...not sure if that's even possible, but it's worth a shot.

...how? Isn't that just a USB wifi adapter? You'd need to somehow install drivers on the telemetry module, and it doesn't exactly run windows. :) Am I missing something?

I've been looking for something like that for years, but it seems the demand is not there. My friend you are out of luck. Although there are products like this out there, they all have terrible drivers, are buggy, and only support thing like flash drives. (no mice, keyboards, webcams etc.)

I'd buy one! :thup: On the other hand, how difficult would it be to build one?

You would have to have a relatively advanced knowledge of electrical engineering. Start with an old wireless mouse, get a better antenna (preferable fractal), and amplify the transmitter's signal. Other than those first couple steps, I have no idea. Ask me in 6 years lol (I'm double majoring physics and electrical engineering).

Back