• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird HDD detection problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smartbomb

I'm having a problem where my PC won't boot up because one or two of my HDDs won't get detected at POST... and sometimes it will. By turning my PC on and off a few times, all the HDDs will by complete luck usually end up getting all detected and the PC will have no problem booting. My PC currently has 4 HDDs connected to it, and it's usually the same 2 HDDs that seem to be the culprit. If it does boot up and manages to load the OS, sometimes one HDD will fail to be detected.
I'm thinking the main suspects are a broken PSU, broken Hard Drive controller on the motherboard or broken SATA ports, or the HDDs themselves are broken.

I've tested all of my HDDs with Seatools and Western Digital's software, but both fail to find any faults. All HDDs pass all tests. I've also used chkdsk, and that also fails to find anything wrong. I've switched the power cables around, as well as the SATA cables... and the results are the same. I've even taken a Molex to SATA Power cable and used that to power one of the suspected HDDs, and the result seems to be the same. Weird thing is... if I don't power the system down and either just leave it on, or put it on stand-by, this problem doesn't persist. Once the HDDs get detected, the system seems to work reliably and without fault... which would lead me to believe it's neither the PSU or the HDDs themselves, because otherwise I'd be getting lockups and BSODs am I right?

Can any of you guys list absolutely everything that can possibly go wrong to cause such a problem? I'm sure I've missed some possibilities. There are some things I won't be able to do to try and diagnose this... like buy a new PSU just to see if that's actually the culprit, or buy a new motherboard. I'd like to try and figure out what's wrong before buying any replacement parts.

...gotta figure this out through process of elimination. Starting to drive me nuts. Also, I've never once overclocked any of the components on this system. I do a lot of 3D Rendering, so I need absolute stability.

Specs:
CPU: I7 920 @ stock
Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P
RAM: 6G Kingston Triple Channel
Vid Card: eVGA GTX-275 Superclock
PSU: Seasonic S12 650W
HDDs:
2x2TB Western Digital Green
1x500GB Seagate
1x320GB Western Digital - OS Drive. Windows7\Windows XP partitions.

Try replacing the SATA cables. Which ones are the suspected ones?

Thanks for the reply man.

The two drives I suspect are broken are the 320GB Western Digital and the 500GB Seagate. I haven't tried replacing the SATA cables, but I did switch the SATA cables around and plugged them into different drives... result is the same. Non of the other drives mess up, it's just those two.

Back