• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD setup for HTPC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thadde

Registered
Hi all,

I am currently in the process of building an HTPC/Media Server. My initial idea was to have something compact (mATX) that would fit nicely in the TV stand while being able to fit a decent amount of hard drives so that I would not have to rely on a NAS or whatever other external storage solution.

For the case I settled on the Lian Li PC-C50B. While a bit on the expensive side, it is a nicely compact case (12.8'' deep) with 3x3.5'' and 3x2.5'' hdd trays.

Would you advise against not doing RAID at all? I was thinking of starting with just 1 or 2 (out of 3 possible) 3.5'' HDD but I have a real hard time getting my mind around paying twice the HDD price for just once the storage space, so to speak. The whole setup I chose is already way above my initial expected budget!

Also, let's say I just start off with 2 HDDs that I set up in RAID 1. When the time comes, how easy/hard will it be to add a third HD and, let's say, set the whole thing to RAID 5?

And, probably the dumbest question of them all: I suppose all HDs in a RAID array have to be identical?

Thanks for your input.

Just for info, other components are
- Intel core i3-2100 (I know ivy bridge is said to come out in under a month but I just can't wait that long)
- Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3
- G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB
- Corsair Force 3 60GB SSD (for OS)
- Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB x1/x2
- Antec EA 380
- (possibly) Scythe Big Shuriken 2
- Sharkoon Silent Eagle 1000 x2 (to replace noisy stock fans)
- LiteOn iHES212 or ASUS BC-12B1ST depending on availability when purchasing

Last edited:
There seem to be two schools of thought when it comes to HTPCs.

One believes that the HTPC should be outfitted with major storage capabilities

The other feels serving media is the job of a NAS

You're trying to combine both into one box. Understandable. I did basically the same thing.

As far as RAID is concerned, it's best to have all drives in a RAID array be not just the same mfgr/model, but the same batch as well, at least in my experience, anyway. That means you'd need to order all the drives at one time instead of adding to them later.

My "HTPC" is similar to what you're building. I have four 2TB WE Caviar Blacks but NOT in a RAID setup, and a Crucial M4 SSD as boot drive.

I found I do not need the extra reliability of RAID because this machine is backed up to my gaming machine (and my gaming machine is backed up to this one) I can add to or change this setup at will without having to rebuild arrays, and that is a definite plus.

Large storage capacity in a HTPC falls to an HTPC being "always on" and not needing a second "always on PC".

My HTPC was always the house server. Saves money on equipment and electricity to do so.

That said.

RAID5 will get you same space for only 50% more cost (3 drives = 2 drive storage).

Having been there and done that, RAID is not data redundancy, if you are worried about losing files, you should replicate your data on your network.

If a RAID1/5 array's DATA gets corrupted due to Virus, power fluctuations etc, your backup is trashed too. RAID is ONLY for protection against drive failure NOT data failure.

I would stick to single drives no RAID, and you can use your drives then for dividing things up. One for TV recording/time delay, another for TV shows or movies another for family pictures and music. I ran 3 storage drives in mine. 2TB for movies 2TB for TV shows and a 1TB for pics and music (which was replicated on 2 other PCs manually).

Thanks for the very fast and helpful reply.

There's just no way I'm going to buy three 2TB+ drives at once at the current market prices (for a RAID5 array).

I'll probably just start by equipping my HTPC with my small pool of external drives which actually already contain all the "media" I currently possess. This will give me time to refuel the ol' bank account and let HDD prices drop until I need some more storage.

Indeed, I don't think RAID is relevant for my htpc usage.

As far as RAID is concerned, it's best to have all drives in a RAID array be not just the same mfgr/model, but the same batch as well, at least in my experience, anyway. That means you'd need to order all the drives at one time instead of adding to them later.

I would beg to disagree, ideally your drives should have the same specs but NOT the same mfgr/batch. What if you run into a Seagate 7200.11 debacle and all of your drives have the same issue/bug? In a perfect world you'd have one Seagate, one WD, one Hitachi, one Samsung, etc....

Thanks for the very fast and helpful reply.

There's just no way I'm going to buy three 2TB+ drives at once at the current market prices (for a RAID5 array).

I'll probably just start by equipping my HTPC with my small pool of external drives which actually already contain all the "media" I currently possess. This will give me time to refuel the ol' bank account and let HDD prices drop until I need some more storage.

Indeed, I don't think RAID is relevant for my htpc usage.

It is worth noting that unless you're looking at software raid via mdadm, you will not have the option to migrate your array from say a RAID1 to a RAID5. Once RAID1 with onboard/ICH raid, you're stuck at RAID1 iirc

I would beg to disagree, ideally your drives should have the same specs but NOT the same mfgr/batch. What if you run into a Seagate 7200.11 debacle and all of your drives have the same issue/bug? In a perfect world you'd have one Seagate, one WD, one Hitachi, one Samsung, etc....

There's always that risk. However, it is still recommended that they be the same batch.

I personally wouldn't recommend a RAID for a HTPC. This is not a server. Heat and noise is an issue. For my HTPC I got a SSD which is a definite upgrade with regards to improving general computing experience. For storage I used 5400 RPM HDDs in both 2.5" and 3.5" formats. A 5400 RPM HDD is more than sufficient for streaming HD content while at the same time being cost effective, low noise and quiet. Being that it's cost effective allowed me to buy extra drives for backup.

Now I definitely don't need any more convincing not to do RAID. Just a few experienced HTPC owners who suggest that I spend less money for more storage space is all I needed.

However, the urge to learn compels me to follow up on this:
It is worth noting that unless you're looking at software raid via mdadm, you will not have the option to migrate your array from say a RAID1 to a RAID5. Once RAID1 with onboard/ICH raid, you're stuck at RAID1 iirc

How do you mean exactly? notarad earlier was speaking of "adding disk" and "rebuilding your array". Is that actually not possible at all? So basically once you've made a choice in that matter you can never undo it?

How do you mean exactly? notarad earlier was speaking of "adding disk" and "rebuilding your array". Is that actually not possible at all? So basically once you've made a choice in that matter you can never undo it?

Software RAID (other than via mdadm) which includes onboard RAID does not allow you to migrate RAID levels. You might be able to expand a RAID1 (doubtful), but you certainly can't migrate from a RAID1 to another level of RAID.

There's always that risk. However, it is still recommended that they be the same batch.

Then I would avoid any recommendations from that group. Putting all your eggs in one basket.......

Ok, thanks a lot. Feels good to learn.

But just to make sure we're on the same page, I was never under the illusion that you could just migrate an array from one RAID level to another without any data loss.

Ok, thanks a lot. Feels good to learn.

But just to make sure we're on the same page, I was never under the illusion that you could just migrate an array from one RAID level to another without any data loss.

You can do this easily via hardware raid, or software raid via mdadm. mdadm is the only one I know of where you can downsize RAID and remove devices

Well I mix and match at times and have no issues. Spec is spec.

Currently I have a Fujitsu 2.5 (320GB 8 meg [MHZ2320BH G1]) and a WD 3.5 (320GB 16 meg [WD3200AAKS-22L6A0]) in raid 1 on my gaming rig/testbed.

It preforms better than my RAID 1 on my mail rig which is composed of the exact same WD drives.

Today I think people say these things to try and sound like they know something but this attitude is dated. Hell I mix and match memory and have no issues. Diffrent sizes. 2x4GB and 2x2GB kingston and Gskill respectively and have 0 issues. Hell that is on my testbed.

EDIT: The memory clocks for **** (crap). Even in matched sets. When doing heavy MEM clocking matched sets generally out do mixed sets.

Last edited:
Well I happened upon this thread again and thought about things and though you can mix drives it is best to match them as closely as possible, if possible. Not that it will not work; but it may not work as well as a single disk.

Well I happened upon this thread again and thought about things and though you can mix drives it is best to match them as closely as possible, if possible. Not that it will not work; but it may not work as well as a single disk.

I think this is only recommended if the OP is going to set up a RAID? If no RAID then it don't matter. Especially if higher capacity is the goal.

Back