• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS Vita? Anyone have one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Curious to how people like there PS Vita? I've really thought of getting one as I did have a PSP (Gen1) a long time ago and sold it off a few years back. Though I do miss it, but I do have a smartphone which helps but its no specific gaming machine.

Personal experience with one anyone?

I have no personal experience, but I did quite a bit of reading about it when I first heard of it. It has a quad core processor clocked somewhere between 800 mhz and 1.5 ghz, and it's graphics processor is 16 times as powerful as an iPad's.

Sounds like fun. :D

I got to play with one and I can tell you this just from my short time with it. I initially thought it was just a slightly revamped PSP but after actually holding one in my hands and playing with it, it's 100X nicer than the PSP ever was in any incarnation. The control stick on it (both of them) and the buttons feel a lot smoother than the PSP. It feels much larger but thinner and more comfortable in the hands. The screen is very bright and vibrant. It's not at all hard on the eyes like the PSP could be at times.

That being said, the DS-Lite and the PSP were the last handheld console systems I'm ever buying and I sold them a few years ago. I can't really say that I'm ever on the move and not too preoccupied long enough to ever play a portable. I guess if you're a person who has long public-transportation commutes or is a frequent flyer then I could see it but if I'm at home, I've got no desire to play a portable.

I do fly here and there on business so it would be used for that type of thing since there is no way I can use my laptop most of the time on flights, besides it only lasts 2 hours max when gaming.

I got the original PSP for travel purposes as well though did use it here and there at home at night on the couch relaxing if the wife was watching something on TV.

I do fly here and there on business so it would be used for that type of thing since there is no way I can use my laptop most of the time on flights, besides it only lasts 2 hours max when gaming.

I got the original PSP for travel purposes as well though did use it here and there at home at night on the couch relaxing if the wife was watching something on TV.

I'd play with one before you make an impulse buy then but from the time I had it in my hands, I thought it was really nice and it may be worth buying for you. Also be aware that the games are nearly as expensive as PS3 games at 2/3 the price and right now selection is limited. I never was happy with the selection of PSP games.

A friend of mine inexplicably loaned me his.

It's basically a small PS3. There are games that are direct conversions (Like Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3... which is the EXACT same game as the PS3 version... you won't notice a single difference.)

Some of the games that are actually made for the system (such as Uncharted) even run better than their PS3 counterparts (probably having to do with the fact that the little cartridges are basically SSDs).

It has apps and stuff... which I'll probably never use since I program for iPhone and own a Galaxy S II...

I've been able to play about ten minutes at a time at work... and I've been moving (still taking my stuff out of bags and boxes) so I haven't had too much time to deal with it, but if you're in the market for a handheld at all it's certainly more powerful, and a better buy, than a 3DS.

Vast improvement over the PSP and still offers backwards compatibility (with PSP downloadable games of course...)

I know I liked my PSP when I had it. Though I did decide to get this and wow... think they finally listened to the consumers of what we wanted. Its slick. Sucks it has another new memory format for it and its pricey but not bad at all.

Got it, 8Gig stick and Uncharted. Plan on being able to have a few DL'ed games (to save some $$) on the stick itself and if not transfer the stuff on/off it as needed. The network connectivity is much better then the PSP then when I had it. Much more responsive overall very pleased with the purchase. A small PS3 is right, I don't own a PS3 so this is nice hopefully I'll finally get a few games I was missing out on.

Back