• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first Gaming PC build. Opinion please :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bartuc666

Registered
ASUS ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5
Intel Core i7 2600K Sandy Bridge
ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 Sandy Bridge B3
Corsair Obsidian 650D
Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850
Kingston 8GB DDR3 1600MHz (2x4) HyperX
Seagate 1000 GB harddisk Barracuda
ASUS DRW 24B3LT Black
Revoltec CCFL 10cm Twin-Set Red Cathode
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1

Will be playing at 1920x1080 res.

What do you think?

If it's for gaming only. Drop the 2600K to a 2500K. I notice you're up in Scandinavia ^^. So I'd assume that the HD 7950 3Gb costs more than the GTX 580 out there.. If it doesn't, I would suggest the HD 7950 > 580.

I'd consider a Z68 board. Thinking Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 here.

I have that case. And I'm really not partial to it anymore. If you don't need a window; consider the Fractal Arc Midi or something.

That PSU is slightly overkill. Are you planning to SLI later on? (Though frankly at 1080p you don't need it).

Where's the SSD? =D. Surely in a build like that you can afford an SSD =). Crucial M4 comes to mind here.

Ya. I thought about that.

The 650D is not really the best air cooler. I would suggest changing both the front and top fan. And make them both intake as well. though you'd need to buy a Demi Flex filter for the top to stop dust.. I also notice he doesn't have a CPU cooler. You might wanna get one of those ^^. (Thermalright True Spirit. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo)

Get the 2500K instead of 2600K, add a better heatsink fan, and OC. OCing is pretty easy these days.

Also a SSD will make a huge difference to the everyday computing experience. Once you've tried one you'll never go back.

What heat sink would you recommend ? Not too expensive, its my first build, so I would like to stick to air :)

Pref a black/dark cooler, want to stay with the black/dark look ^^

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Asrock Extreme 4 Z68

Yeah the AX750 should be fine. It's a bit overkill spec wise; but it's a good PSU. And the pricing is decent for you.

Crucial M4 128 SSD

Is the SSD I would buy. =)

HD 7950 3GB

Is the Graphics card I would buy as well. it's cheaper than your GTX 580; and runs less power; and has 3GB VRAM. And with this card; you could get the Corsair AX 650 if you wanted; and still be able to run two of them on a 650W. It's a very power efficient card.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7950/27.html

Beats out the GTX 580 by a little bit. But does so using a lot less power. And has a fairly high overclocking threshold. =)

Last edited:
What heat sink would you recommend ? Not too expensive, its my first build, so I would like to stick to air :)

Pref a black/dark cooler, want to stay with the black/dark look ^^

Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and the newer EVO is a favourite amongst many OCers. For the price, they are both good HSF. It's not black though. There are other HSF that are black though some are a lot more expensive then the EVO.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Asrock Extreme 4 Z68

Yeah the AX750 should be fine. It's a bit overkill spec wise; but it's a good PSU. And the pricing is decent for you.

Crucial M4 128 SSD[/URL]

Is the SSD I would buy. =)

HD 7950 3GB

Is the Graphics card I would buy as well. it's cheaper than your GTX 580; and runs less power; and has 3GB VRAM. And with this card; you could get the Corsair AX 650 if you wanted; and still be able to run two of them on a 650W. It's a very power efficient card.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7950/27.html

Beats out the GTX 580 by a little bit. But does so using a lot less power. And has a fairly high overclocking threshold. =)

Sound advice.

Agree completely with Mjolnir ^^^

SSD is easily the most important part for general use performance wise.

Oh, sorry to interrupt... Left my hat here.

-GL with the build =)

Attachments

• sorry left my hat here.gif
    sorry left my hat here.gif
    498.9 KB · Views: 34
Back