• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I finally got a blue Start Button

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ColdMiser

It took a while. The older versions of StyleXP didn't work for me for some reason. Maybe cuz I have the corporate version of XP, I dunno. But anyway, the latest version works!

Did you use a rescource hacker to change it? That's what I used so that my Start button dosen't say "start" anymore.

Smizack said:
Did you use a rescource hacker to change it? That's what I used so that my Start button dosen't say "start" anymore.

I'm not exactly sure what a resource hacker is, but I think you're talking about a hex editor to change your start button in Win 98 right? I have never done that, but I heard that it can cause problems with the OS.

I don't know if it's called a resource hacker, but I used StyleXP, StyleBuilder, and Photoshop 6 to do it. It only takes a sec if you have the 3rd party imaging software. They recommend Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro. It modifies some DLL file to allow XP to display GUI components that do not originate from Microsoft. Then you can take ANY existing GUI component in the whole OS, and use Photoshop to modify it.

Joker76 said:
How do you take screen shots of your desktop? Is there a program to do that or something?

The "Print Screen" button. Then past it into Paint or PSP.

ColdMiser said:

I'm not exactly sure what a resource hacker is, but I think you're talking about a hex editor to change your start button in Win 98 right? I have never done that, but I heard that it can cause problems with the OS.

I don't know if it's called a resource hacker, but I used StyleXP, StyleBuilder, and Photoshop 6 to do it. It only takes a sec if you have the 3rd party imaging software. They recommend Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro. It modifies some DLL file to allow XP to display GUI components that do not originate from Microsoft. Then you can take ANY existing GUI component in the whole OS, and use Photoshop to modify it.

I'll have to check at home but it's just called Rescource hacker I think. I haven't tried with 98, but it works good with XP.

Smizack said:

The "Print Screen" button. Then past it into Paint or PSP.
he forgot to tell you that you have to hit alt or control and print screen at the same time. alt+printscreen to take the top image on the screen, and control+printscreenfor the whole screen.:D print screen will also take a picture of the whole screen.

jdmcnudgent said:
he forgot to tell you that you have to hit alt or control and print screen at the same time. alt+printscreen to take the top image on the screen, and control+printscreenfor the whole screen.:D print screen will also take a picture of the whole screen.

What? My print screen button takes the whole page.

Joker76 said:
Thanks. Does anyone know if there's a "hide desktop icons" option in Windows XP ?
Right click on blank desktop space. Rest on "Arrange Icons By", then uncheck "Show Desktop Icons"

Back