• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network Inventory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benj1290

Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone had some input or insight into a network inventory software that i could use. I'm simply killing my hands typing out all the information on the servers at my work. I'm mainly looking for open source software and i can install another server if need be for IIS.

Thanks in Advance!

Man there is tons of software out there with all kinds of ways to get the information but you will still need to audit to make certain you have everything. Further it's a lot of work setting it all up. You can do it through MIBs via SNMP and RMON. Pick your application, there are literally thousands potential automated inventory systems.

I understand that there is tons of software. I have played around with a couple myself and I have stayed away from some as I can't tell if they upload the information to there side as well. For the pass 2 weeks I've been researching and I think I found one I liked. But i was looking for some input from others to see what they found and liked.

My problem in giving a recommendation is it has been ten years since I worked with network inventory software and a lot has changed. What do you mean upload to their side? It's done via crawling MIBs. HP Openview was the defacto standard when I last worked in this area but like I said it has been ten years and a lot has changed. People that didn't have the Budget for Openview used to use Whats Up Gold. There are also security concerns now that were not an issue so I believe running SNMP on a lot of networks is kind of frowned upon these days.

example: http://www.spiceworks.com/

you run the software, it runs it on the domain and then uploads the information on there side so that you can see everything down to the network cards, services, etc. and its something that i do not want to broadcast outside of my network.

The one i found you simply install a new server, then IIS + MySQL and it will record everything there. this is preferable to what im looking for.

Yeah I played with Spiceworks recently. I kind of left having the same feeling as you.

Are you looking to see what system/services are running on your network or are you looking for the ability to poll devices to see cpu/mem/etc?

NMAP is a good tool to see what's running on your network and is a great open source tool to do so.

I like PRTG or Solarwinds Network Performance Monitor for the latter.

Back