• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which 120/128gb ssd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DungeonLord

Registered
well i've ordered a force 1761 laptop from xoticpc

specs
- Display: 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Matte Screen (1920x1080) (SKU - X1R553)
- Monitor Calibration: NO Professional Monitor Color Calibration
- Dead Pixel Warranty: Contact us about our Significant Savings on our 30-Day No Dead Pixel Warranty. Heavily Discounted!
- Processor: 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM, 2.2-3.1GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache) - Limited Availability (SKU - X2N167)
- Thermal Compound: Stock OEM Thermal Compound ( IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU Provided FREE with Processor Upgrade!)
- Graphics Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 570M 1,536MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 (SKU - X3R454)
- External Display Video Adapters: No Video Adapter
- Ram: 8GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2x4GB SODIMMS) - Default (SKU - X4N340)
- Exterior Finish: Standard Finish
- Primary Hard Drive: 750GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Buffer (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s) (SKU - X5R304)
- Second Hard Drive: No Second Hard Drive (Primary Hard Drive Required When Adding a Secondary Hard Drive) (SKU - X6R953)
- Raid: HDD Raid Settings - OFF
- Optical Drive Bay: Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW/CDRW Drive w/ Software (SKU - X7R451)
- Optical Drive Bay Hard Drive Caddy: No Extra Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy
- External Hard Drive (Back Up): No Back Up Hard Drive
- External USB Optical Drive: NO External USB Optical Drive
- Floppy Drive: No Floppy Drive
- Memory Card Reader: Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RS)
- Back Up Software: No Back Up Software
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth Included (See “Wireless Network” Section Below)
- Wireless Network: Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 (3x3) (ETA: 2/28/2012) (SKU - X8R052)
- Wireless Network Accessories: No Network Accessory
- Camera: Integrated Digital Video Camera
- TV Tuner: No TV Tuner
- Sound Card: Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- Case: No Carrying Case
- Battery: Smart Li-ion Battery (9-Cell)
- Car Adapter: No Car Adapter
- Spare AC Adapter: No Spare AC Adapter
- Port Replicator / Dock / Adapters: No Dock/Hub/Adapter
- Fingerprint Reader: No Fingerprint Reader
- Headsets: No Headset
- Mouse / Keyboard Accessories: No External Keyboard or Mouse
- Notebook Cooler: No Notebook Cooler
- XOTIC PC Redline Boost™ Extreme Performance: No Thanks, Please do not Overclock my system
- OS Redline Boost: No Operating System Redline Boost
- Operating System: No Operating System Standard - Drivers & Utility Software Only
- Microsoft Office Software: No Office Software

i am going to be moving the 750gb drive to a secondary, i just dont know which ssd to get for the os/main programs. i have been looking and i am leaning towards the 120gb corsair force gt, but if there is better for cheaper or same price i am all ears. thanks for any info you can provide

p.s. i will be putting win7 or win8 on it as well as dual boot with ubuntu or possibly triple boot :comp: with ubuntu and fedora(need it for school)

Per Tom's Hardware, the Corsair is one tier lower than the M4 in performance:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-price-ssd,3070-6.html

Reviews for the Corsair are good as well. Real word performance will be very similar amongst all the 120GB SSD drives. However, I feel the Crucial is more reliable. I used to own their previous generation (SATA II) drive, the C300, and I never had issues with it.

LOL M4 is a great drive, I have not experienced any issues with OCZ drives, and with newer firmware I doubt you will either.

Agility 3 still gets my biggest thumbs up for price:performance ratio, was very very impressed with it. The M4 is damn close and garbage collection on the M4 is so fast I could not get a reliable "dirty performance" test run on it. It costs a bit more but I do like the MArvell controller it uses.

The Agility 3 is $130 for a 120GB right now.

I beat my computer to hell on a regular basis. Had an Agility 2 from OCZ, died the first night I had it; been using a pair of Intel 320s in raid 0 for about 4 months now; rock solid. My buy list in order is:

Intel
Samsung
Crucial (Micron)

... all others can go to hell. The only 3 good SSD mfgrs are the ones making the NAND itself (see above)

ITT +1 for the M4

Another Intel SSD fanatic over here! Own 7 of them now (3 for more than 3 years now), and haven't had a single issue with them.

I recently strayed with an Agility 3 60GB / Sandforce 6G (was less than $1/GB after rebates) for experimentation with the Z68's SSD Caching - so far so good - but I'll likely stick with Intel for future purchases...

:cool:

I have an OCZ Vertex 2, and have 2 friends with Vertex 3s.....Had them for over 6 months and no problems.
So...I always recommend OCZ to people.

well i still dont have my ssd, yet, as i was waiting on sales or for my laptop to be built (hate not doing it myself). but after reading what you guy said i looked into why the m4 was overall the most recommended and i have determined that it was due to the marvell controler instead of the sandforce. this has lead me to a new problem..... crucial m4 or corsair performance pro? on paper the corsair is faster in nearly every test ran and i love corsair cs. i have plenty of m4 reviews to read but not that many performance pro reviews, have any of you guys used the performance pro drive or know people that have?

Not personally, but I know it's pretty fast.

Plextor M3P has pretty good numbers too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820249020

If I was in the market for a new drive right now, in 128g size, I would get the Plextor. you can't really go wrong with any of the Marvell based drives. I said this in a different thread, but my 520 is filling up a little faster then planned, i'm loooking at 256g models & it will be Marvell based.

well i got a 48 hour sale e-mail from newegg that had crucial m4 128gb drives for i think 130 each well by the time i checked my e-mail they were already sold out:( so i went ahead and bought a corsair performance pro series 128gb.

my reason for posting this is how do i test the drive? i dont have any computers that have sata3 ports other than my laptop and if i install win7 on it i can do read tests but not write tests to measure its performance so what are some benchmarks i can do to the ssd once i get windows7 installed?

Back