• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clawhammer on the brink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cluster

AMD's long awaited clawhammer processor is on the brink of being released. The clawhammer, AMD's 64-bit processor was introduced at the Intel Developer Forum over the last couple of days in an A0 stepping .13 micron core. The processor was realeased at about 1GHz but is projected to be in a final release form of near 2GHz once they do some revisions on it. The Clawhammer processor will come with 754 pins and the sledgehammer will come with a whopping 940 pins. The SledgeHammer will feature Dual-Channel 64-bit DDR and the Clawhammer will have only Single-Channel. Another feature was the heat spreader on top of the CPU much like Pentium 4 and will protect against 'crushed cores'. The ETOR(estimated time of release) is Q4 '02 for the hammer line.

now that the hammer is expected will amd stop production of socket a processors????????? I know that nobody knows for sure, but does anyone have an educated guess on how expensive the hammers will be at release (like as expensive as the athlon xps started at, that what I mean, not the price)?

I smell a cut and paste. Good news anyway.
Looks like my XP 1600 is one step closer to being obselete and I'm one step closer to upgrading (still lots of steps, though).

I don't imagine that Socket A will be dropped any time soon. Not this year anyway. I would imagine that the Hammerline will be in the thousand dollar range (Itanium goes for 2700). This is why the Socket A will stick around for desktops. The Hammer lineup will probably be much like the xeon, have a high amount of cache (high price) and will be aimed at large scale servers.

Although this is only specualtion, if the hammer lineup does start off in the hundred dollar area, it might just be feesable and affordable to have this proc as a desktop option.

Only time will tell.

Well, it wasn't EXACTLY cut and paste, more like read and rephrase. The article was too long to cut and paste.

Also here's some pictures of the Sledgehammer and Clawhammer.

Here's the Clawhammer

Why not the claw be the server type and the sledge be the desktop type? Somehow, I think you may be right, though. The claw would be a good budget server.
If you look at AMD's roadmap, it still leaves a LONG arrow for the Duron line. I could see them mergeing their budget and performance lines, because there is so little price (or speed) difference.

I was one of the first people to purchase the Asus A7N266-E. Hell the Motherboard has not even really had a chance to see any dust on it yet!!! Does this mean that the claw and sledge will not fit/work on this cutting edge bad as$ of a motherboard. I was going to purchase a 2000+ Xp or better processor to complement this awesome board. But if the claw and sledge will be compattable then I will hold out. Any advise???

Does this mean that the claw and sledge will not fit/work on this cutting edge bad as$ of a motherboard.

No it will not be a Socket-A CPU... this CPU is for servers, just like the Xeon and Itanium CPU´s!

Clawhammer is desktop and will probably run for about 400-500 at realease (just a guess)

Sledgehammer is server and that will compete with intel's high priced server chips like Itanium

no, i dont think it is, i think AMD is designing an affordible 64 bit processor for desktops.

This is from a interview with Reinhard Fabritz from AMD:

"The Hammer family (Sledgehammer for servers, Clawhammer for entry-level servers and high efficient work stations. Our aim is to enter the corporative market)."

I shall be saving my cash for a year or so, starting now :D

I take it that the Barton will fill in the Midrange Desktop level?

in my opinion amd expects clawhammer to be used in alot of desktops.I read somewhere that the low end clawhammer would be about $350 to $400.I will find where i read that and post it.

Back