Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

Made one of those room a/c's

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 03-18-12, 03:56 PM Thread Starter   #1
bioevolve

10 Year Badge

Made one of those room a/c's

I got borded and my computer room was getting hot, so I made one of those copper coil/fan a/c's.
POORMAN'S A/C!!!
There is a refridgerator (not the main fridge) in the computer room, so I thought I'd use that instead of a cooler for ice water.
No temp checks yet, waiting for the water to get cold.

bioevolve is offline SETI Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-18-12, 03:58 PM   #2
thideras
Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
Premium Member #3

I don't see how that is going to cool the room since the fridge is just dumping heat into the same room you are attempting to cool. I only see this increasing the total heat in the room.

8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
"That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
"Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current project: Rackmount Overkill (New)
Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!
thideras is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-18-12, 04:13 PM   #3
\dev\goat
man /dev/goat

10 Year Badge

More importantly why do you have so much milk

128gb Crucial m4 -- 240gb mushkin chronos -- 60gb mushkin chronos -- 8tb server
Corsair TX850 -- Dell u2711 2560x1440
\dev\goat is online now Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-18-12, 04:25 PM   #4
Randyman...

Neat concept - but Thiddy is right. Plus, the convection into a small > 1Gallon Bucket in a ~34*F fridge isn't likely to offer much cooling effectiveness IMO. Just think how long it takes for 1Gallon of ambient 70*F water to reach ~40*F in a fridge (hours) - then think how quick that water would heat right back up once you start the loop.

Using the Freezer would help increase the delta - but you need to be careful about freezing if the loop is stopped. And as Thiddy pointed out - the Fridge is spitting all of the heat it "removes" from the loop back into the same room you are trying to cool (plus the additional power the fridge is pulling and also turning into heat). Kind of like running an A/C w/o any external exhaust.

Good luck!

PC#1 (Main Rig) : Lian Li PC-V1010 / P8Z68-V-GEN3 / 3750K @ 4.5GHz + Ven-X / 16GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 / HD5770 "XXX" 1GB / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / (6x) 2TB 5K3000 on Areca ARC1222 in RAID-6 / Seasonic X660 PSU / 2407WFP-HC / RME "Multiface" 38 Ch. Audio I/O / Dynaudio AIR-15 + AIR-BASE-2 Studio Monitors
PC#2 (Realtime DAW) : Lian-Li PC-K65B / Sabertooth X79 / i7-3820 @ 4.8GHz + TRUE / 8GB RipJaws DDR3-2133 / HD6570 / 120GB Intel 520 / 4x 1TB on Areca ARC-1210 in RAID-5 / RME "HDSPe MADI" 128 Channel Audio I/O / 2x SSL AlphaLink MADI AX / 48 Mic Inputs + Fully-discrete Mic Preamps + 4260Watt PA System with 5x 18" JBL Subs :-)
NAS#1: NSC-800 ITX Case / Asus P8H61-ITX / i3-2120 / (8x) 1TB 7200.12's in RAID-6 on Areca ARC-1220 Card
NAS#2: 12TB ReadyNAS Ultra-4+ / (4x) 3TB 5K3000's
And 7 other i7/i5/C2D/C2Q PC's
Randyman... is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-18-12, 08:52 PM Thread Starter   #5
bioevolve

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by thideras View Post
I don't see how that is going to cool the room since the fridge is just dumping heat into the same room you are attempting to cool. I only see this increasing the total heat in the room.
I just does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by \dev\goat View Post
More importantly why do you have so much milk
I have 3 kids and they like cereal lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman... View Post
Neat concept - but Thiddy is right. Plus, the convection into a small > 1Gallon Bucket in a ~34*F fridge isn't likely to offer much cooling effectiveness IMO. Just think how long it takes for 1Gallon of ambient 70*F water to reach ~40*F in a fridge (hours) - then think how quick that water would heat right back up once you start the loop.

Using the Freezer would help increase the delta - but you need to be careful about freezing if the loop is stopped. And as Thiddy pointed out - the Fridge is spitting all of the heat it "removes" from the loop back into the same room you are trying to cool (plus the additional power the fridge is pulling and also turning into heat). Kind of like running an A/C w/o any external exhaust.

Good luck!
I understand that , but I'm not sweating in my sauna anymore.
It has dropped the room temp 10f, from 89f. The door is always open to that room to help vent some air out.
I already have a ceiling fan, desk fan and a floor fan circulating the room with the central A/C set at 70F daily. I would sweat daily just browsing for 5 minutes on the computer in there, now it's cooler in the room.
I've even added 2 servers, 26" LED Monitor and another computer on top of the other 2 computers, 1 server, 2 monitors, 2 laser printers, inkjet printer, 5 light bulbs burning on the ceiling fan and the fridge lol.
We'll see how it holds out this week.
Old 03-18-12, 09:37 PM   #6
Randyman...

How is this any different from just leaving the Fridge door open (aside from not cooling the food at that point)?

PC#1 (Main Rig) : Lian Li PC-V1010 / P8Z68-V-GEN3 / 3750K @ 4.5GHz + Ven-X / 16GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 / HD5770 "XXX" 1GB / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / (6x) 2TB 5K3000 on Areca ARC1222 in RAID-6 / Seasonic X660 PSU / 2407WFP-HC / RME "Multiface" 38 Ch. Audio I/O / Dynaudio AIR-15 + AIR-BASE-2 Studio Monitors
PC#2 (Realtime DAW) : Lian-Li PC-K65B / Sabertooth X79 / i7-3820 @ 4.8GHz + TRUE / 8GB RipJaws DDR3-2133 / HD6570 / 120GB Intel 520 / 4x 1TB on Areca ARC-1210 in RAID-5 / RME "HDSPe MADI" 128 Channel Audio I/O / 2x SSL AlphaLink MADI AX / 48 Mic Inputs + Fully-discrete Mic Preamps + 4260Watt PA System with 5x 18" JBL Subs :-)
NAS#1: NSC-800 ITX Case / Asus P8H61-ITX / i3-2120 / (8x) 1TB 7200.12's in RAID-6 on Areca ARC-1220 Card
NAS#2: 12TB ReadyNAS Ultra-4+ / (4x) 3TB 5K3000's
And 7 other i7/i5/C2D/C2Q PC's
Randyman... is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-18-12, 09:55 PM   #7
McGrace

It does not raise the "temperature of the room". It adds heat to the room. Basically the electricity the fridge uses to run the compressor. The fridge dumps the heat behind itself. The setup is throwing the cool air in another part of the room. If you take a fan and blow the heat from behind the fridge the temperature of the room would rise. That is, the temperature in the middle of the room.

It is a physical law of nature. Heat can neither be created nor destroyed, only moved. You are moving the heat from the main part of the room to behind the fridge. Google the laws of thermodynamics.

Another useful one when creating/designing a HVAC system is that the rate of heat transfer is directly proportional to the difference in temperature between two systems. In other words, given two pieces of metal in contact with different temperatures, if they are 100 degrees and 50 degrees, they transfer heat (at the instant of contact) twice as fast as two pieces of metal that are 100 and 75 degrees.

This is why fans are great for cooling. Heat transfers into the air, then the fan blows the newly hot air away. This keeps cool air surrounding the heat source and thus increasing the RATE of heat transfer.

Regards,

DB

Main Build:
Phenom II 1100T, 8GB GSkill DDR3 1600 (running @1333), MSI GeForce 430GT x 2, MSI 870A-G54 MoBo, 60GB Crucial SSD

Mine: Dell PentiumD 820 2GB GeForce 7200GT RAM
Wife's (formerly mine): Phenom II x4 910 8GB RAM ATI 4350

My Laptop: Toshiba Core2 Duo T6600 6GB RAM 18"
Wife's Laptop (formerly mine): Gateway Core2 Duo T7200 2GB RAM 17"
McGrace is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-19-12, 05:38 AM Thread Starter   #8
bioevolve

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman... View Post
How is this any different from just leaving the Fridge door open (aside from not cooling the food at that point)?
Hahahaha true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrace View Post
It does not raise the "temperature of the room". It adds heat to the room. Basically the electricity the fridge uses to run the compressor. The fridge dumps the heat behind itself. The setup is throwing the cool air in another part of the room. If you take a fan and blow the heat from behind the fridge the temperature of the room would rise. That is, the temperature in the middle of the room.

It is a physical law of nature. Heat can neither be created nor destroyed, only moved. You are moving the heat from the main part of the room to behind the fridge. Google the laws of thermodynamics.

Another useful one when creating/designing a HVAC system is that the rate of heat transfer is directly proportional to the difference in temperature between two systems. In other words, given two pieces of metal in contact with different temperatures, if they are 100 degrees and 50 degrees, they transfer heat (at the instant of contact) twice as fast as two pieces of metal that are 100 and 75 degrees.

This is why fans are great for cooling. Heat transfers into the air, then the fan blows the newly hot air away. This keeps cool air surrounding the heat source and thus increasing the RATE of heat transfer.

Regards,

DB
Basically by adding a forth fan I have created enough positive pressure in that room to move more heat out of the room thru the door.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.