• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LOL! I blew-out a fan!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're in the wrong catergory :p This probably should be in the air cooling department. :confused: Unless you were a bit more specific and you were talking about a "radiator fan" :D

I think you're in the wrong catergory :p This probably should be in the air cooling department. :confused: Unless you were a bit more specific and you were talking about a "radiator fan" :D

It was a radiator fan. 120mm 200cfm... I had it plugged into the rear fan 3-pin but wanted to move it to the CPU fan's connector, so it would blow harder when appropriate. I didn't think it would hurt it but it did. Went full blast, then nothing. Tested the CPU fan connector with a cpu heatsink/fan and it ran, so bad fan.

I have a 30 day warranty on it so I'll get a replacement.

Right now I'm running on an ANTEC 3-speed case fan.

It was a radiator fan. 120mm 200cfm... I had it plugged into the rear fan 3-pin but wanted to move it to the CPU fan's connector, so it would blow harder when appropriate. I didn't think it would hurt it but it did. Went full blast, then nothing. Tested the CPU fan connector with a cpu heatsink/fan and it ran, so bad fan.

Oh dam lol.......that sucks man hope it works out for you and its good to hear the header on the board is ok.

Have you tested the fan with power straight from the PSU? It could very well be that your 200CFM fan overloaded the CPU Fan header and IT shut the fan off to protect itself... I've never heard of a fan blowing up because you connected it to a fan header; it's usually the other way around.

Have you tested the fan with power straight from the PSU? It could very well be that your 200CFM fan overloaded the CPU Fan header and IT shut the fan off to protect itself... I've never heard of a fan blowing up because you connected it to a fan header; it's usually the other way around.

Trust me. It be dead.

I tried a regular intel cpu fan on the same connector and it came on when I booted up.

Trust me. It be dead.

I tried a regular intel cpu fan on the same connector and it came on when I booted up.

:D

Think about it... Plugging a new fan to the same connector only proves that the fan header is working properly. :) I'm just telling you from experience; I've had fans shut off on me on motherboard fan headers simply because the header itself could not give them enough juice. I'd test it out; worst case scenario, you confirm that the fan is indeed dead and get it sorted out via warranty... But you may not even have to go through all that.

:D

Think about it... Plugging a new fan to the same connector only proves that the fan header is working properly. :) I'm just telling you from experience; I've had fans shut off on me on motherboard fan headers simply because the header itself could not give them enough juice. I'd test it out; worst case scenario, you confirm that the fan is indeed dead and get it sorted out via warranty... But you may not even have to go through all that.

My motherboard has a 12VDC power connector on it for extra power to 12 volt devices. There's no way I overpowered my motherboard.

My motherboard has a 12VDC power connector on it for extra power to 12 volt devices. There's no way I overpowered my motherboard.

I'm not saying you damaged your board man... You've already stated that the fan header worked fine with another fan. And just keep in mind that even though your board has an extra 12V connector on it... The fan headers are still rated for a certain amperage and if your 200CFM fan overloaded that header it may have triggered some sort of protection on the board that cut power to it.

Up to you... I'm one that always likes to test and double check everything.

I'm not saying you damaged your board man... You've already stated that the fan header worked fine with another fan. And just keep in mind that even though your board has an extra 12V connector on it... The fan headers are still rated for a certain amperage and if your 200CFM fan overloaded that header it may have triggered some sort of protection on the board that cut power to it.

Up to you... I'm one that always likes to test and double check everything.

Well they're sending me another one at no cost. I don't even have to ship them the old one. Maybe if I get it working, I can have a 400cfm push-pull.:D

Well they're sending me another one at no cost. I don't even have to ship them the old one. Maybe if I get it working, I can have a 400cfm push-pull.:D

That's not how that works.

For one, 200CFM is a manufacturer rating, which means it's already way exaggerated. The conditions they test under are so far past ideal conditions its crazy.

Additionally, you will never see the max flow with any sort of restriction. It's a max flow, your actual flow lies somewhere on the pq curve for the fan, which brings me to my next point.

Push-pull is series flow, and as such it does not add CFM, but rather static pressure. You will see an increase in airflow moving to push-pull, but that increase is due to the increased ability to overcome restriction (pressure), not due to a higher maximum possible flow-rate. For you to double max flow, you would need a parallel setup, which is to say you would have to put the fans side by side.

What motherboard has that on it...? Seems like cool feature.

He is talking about the 4 pin Auxiliary PCI Express graphics power connector his board has. http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15640/eng/DX48BT2_ProductGuide01_English.pdf

Remember when you first started learning about building computers and for a short while you knew just enough to be dangerous?

I tried prime95. It crashed. Gave me a screwed up screen before it puked. Wonder if it was testing my graphics (I have a crossfire configuration overclocked.)
:facepalm:

Last edited:

Geez that is either pure ignorance or a bad joke bud. Just because you're feeding a a pcb 12vdc does not mean it can source an enormous mount of current.

A 200cfm fan will attempt to draw an amp or so of current. You'll either 1 fry your motherboard trying to source that much current or 2. The fan won't start because the mobo can't supply the current.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back