• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD without AHCI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hormel

I was hoping to install an SSD. I've read that it is pretty important to have the AHCI SATA controller, mainly for the TRIM feature. My computer does not have an AHCI controller, only RAID and IDE. In this case, should I not install an SSD? From what I have read I will experience a significant drop in performance over time without TRIM. Do I have other options that will preserve the performance of my SSD?

Also, I have read that many people set up SSDs in a RAID. RAID is a separate controller from AHCI. Will the RAID configuration experience the same drop in performance over time? Because RAID does not have TRIM.

What hardware do you have, exactly? When set to RAID, most boards will set non-RAID member disks to AHCI. If your board was made in the last few years, I'd be surprised if it was incapable of AHCI. I'm running a socket 775 Intel board and mine has it.

That would probably useful for you to know :)
Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model 0RY007 (Socket 775)
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model P35/G33/G31
Chipset Revision A2
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801IR (ICH9R)
Southbridge Revision 02

I believe my bios is developed phoenix-award. It is OEM for sure. When I enter the bios is says "Phoenix-Award BIOS" at the top

The ICH9R chipset does AHCI. Setting it to RAID should work fine. However, I would test this before buying the SSD, though. Dell can make some really bad decisions when it comes to building a computer.

I know how to set it to RAID. If I do that, I'm pretty sure windows won't boot because it is currently set to IDE. Would I have to reinstall my OS after I configure it to RAID? Even if I did set it to RAID successfully, how would I know if AHCI is enabled?

If you set it to raid and it will not boot it is likely set to ahci mode. You may be able to install the raid controller drivers while still in ide and then reboot turn on raid and it can get into windows

I know how to set it to RAID. If I do that, I'm pretty sure windows won't boot because it is currently set to IDE. Would I have to reinstall my OS after I configure it to RAID? Even if I did set it to RAID successfully, how would I know if AHCI is enabled?
As Janus said, you can install the driver while it is set to IDE (I'd do the RAID and AHCI driver, to be safe) and restart. I think there are some guides that show you how to do this. Otherwise, it is a reinstall of Windows, yes.

Let me make sure I have this clear. If I set it to RAID and it doesn't boot, that means I am likely in AHCI. In case I miserably fail and windows doesn't boot, will it boot again after I reset it to IDE?

Another question. What does that even mean when it is set to the RAID SATA controller? Certainly it is not a true RAID array. From my understanding, the term RAID only applies when multiple hard drives are in use.

Yes, if you revert to IDE after it doesn't boot, it will work fine.

You are correct on the RAID terms: it requires multiple disks (RAID members) in a RAID array. If they are non-member disks (i.e. they aren't in an array), the chipset should default them to AHCI.

Yes, if you revert to IDE after it doesn't boot, it will work fine.

You are correct on the RAID terms: it requires multiple disks (RAID members) in a RAID array. If they are non-member disks (i.e. they aren't in an array), the chipset should default them to AHCI.

Bingo.

Basically by setting to RAID you may see one additional screen when booting up that asks for (for example) CTRL+I to setup a raid volume, since you will not be doing so it doesn't matter and just let the screen go by.

OH wow, that seem so simple! I have another question. Should I be looking for hardware specific or OS specific drivers? For RAID and AHCI that is. I'm running Vista Home Premium x64 btw.

You will need drivers for the ICH9R chipset for Vista 64bit. The ones for XP/7 64bit would likely work, but if there are specific Vista ones, get those.

You can also just do a registry change to enable AHCI, and then when you reboot, enter BIOS and switch modes, and when you enter Windows, it'll automatically load the correct driver.

Wait, wait, wait.

If he's running AHCI and he sets the storage to RAID, it SHOULD boot, not fail.
Considering that he posted he is currently using IDE, I think it would be safe to assume it will fail to boot without the drivers.

This is turning out to be a little more complicated than I thought. I've done a little research concerning the drivers I need. I think I need the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver. From what I understand this provides the AHCI an RAID drivers. I downloaded this:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...eng&OSVersion=Windows Vista 64*&DownloadType=

I attempted to install; however, my system did not meet the minimum requirements which can be seen here:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20624/eng/iata_10.8.0.1003_readme.txt

I don't see where my system is failing. My processor is better than the ones they list. My OS is ok.I downloaded the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility, which was a prereq download. The only thing I could think of that may be lacking are the RAID and AHCI storage controllers listed in section *1. I know I don't have a AHCI controller and I'm not sure if I have a true RAID controller.

Does this Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver look like what you guys have been describing above? Am I on the right track? If so, does anyone know why this might not be installing?

Hormel,

I haven't read every post in this thread, but i can solve your problem.

My MB bios has the ICH9R chip but the bios doesn't let me set HDD to ACHI. The problem is your bios, nothing else. You need to crossflash your bios to a very similar bios that allows you to use ACHI mode. For example, my MB is a p5k se/epu and i flashed it to a p5r which is just a higher level version of my mobo.

Be careful when you do this though. When i did this it disabled my onboard internet controller (because the bios i used came from a mobo with a different internet controller) so i simply bought a pci internet card. You need to find the closest bios to yours and try to figure out what the differences are.

You can also just do a registry change to enable AHCI, and then when you reboot, enter BIOS and switch modes, and when you enter Windows, it'll automatically load the correct driver.

That registry hack doesn't give you the speed he is after. In fact, it doesn't seem to do anything.

There's one problem with that. I have an OEM Dell motherboard. Even though it was probably manufactured by some company, dell has themselves are listed as the manufacturer. Dell has no hierarchy of motherboards. There are no series of related models. As far as you could tell each motherboard is completely different.

Back