• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IE 8 on Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jasmina

Hi Problem recently came up. IE 8 is not responding but if I right click on the icon I can get it up in Private browsing but I have to do that each time I want to use it. I do use Firefox as my default browser . I have looked at the many different ways people have solved this problem. It does seem to me that this is a quite common but is there an easy answer. I have run all my Anti Virus and Spyware checks and they found nothing . Can anyone help? Thanks Jasmina.

Have you tried to setup another temporary account on your machine to see if it might be something with your Windows profile? Reset IE to defaults yet?

Have you tried upgrading to IE9? I had some problems with 8 myself but 9 seems much better.

Some people simply do not have that option.

And this statement bothers me also. I understand legacy enterprise environments/applications, but ppl, let's be serious here. How long can you run applications on a proven insecure browser? Development on the IE browser has improved, but there are still problems which just would not exist if you abandon the browser completely.(unless you run a support business - then I am all for keeping IE to continue the flow of money):D

None of us should be using an inherently insecure browser. We would all be better off removing IE entirely from ANY image/workstation build you own. There are several improvements in the Windoze 7 OS and am VERY thankful MS now allows the removal of the IE browser entirely. +1 for MS -10 for IE.

I am very passionate about my feelings on browser security and compatibility. Do not mis-interpret my hate of IE either. Other browsers have been shown to have their own security issues/pros/cons. Remember, the only true way for a workstation to be secure is by unplugging your colorful RJ45 cable.

End users do not get to chose what application developers develop for. Working in an heavily FDA regulated environment, Internet Explorer was in fact the only supported browser allowed so that is what everyone used. Sometimes design requirements are not just because a developer is stupid or they are too lazy to develop and application that works on multiple browser platforms. Often it is dictated by the requirements put in place by an organization or management and there is no element of personal choice.

I would love to be able to use something besides IE for a great deal of the work I do. For some things, I use Firefox and Chrome when possible but there are simple some applications that I use at work that do not work well in IE. Their functionality is crippled by using a different browser and I, for one, will not give up function just for the sake of having a different browser. Hell, if I really had the choice, I would run Linux at work but I need the .NET Framework and IE. Everything else would just be a hassle to get working when Windows just works. It all comes back to using the right tool for the job.

Sorry, I realize this is off topic but I can fully understand why some people really do not have a choice but to run IE in certain situations.

Hell, if I really had the choice, I would run Linux at work but I need the .NET Framework and IE.

Amen.

Everything else would just be a hassle to get working when Windows just works. It all comes back to using the right tool for the job.

I disagree, with today's plethora of OS choices, I do not see other OS problems as they were prior. In fact, it seems hardware support has improved greatly in the Linux space. Almost all applications today are being ported to the web and quite honestly, IMHO, there is no reason to continue with MS operating systems. MS has a HUGE support industry/following/enterprise footprint, but I strongly believe the world is changing towards Linux platforms (Apple/tablets etc).

Sorry, I realize this is off topic but I can fully understand why some people really do not have a choice but to run IE in certain situations.

I can understand the organizational/enterprise direction/lack of choice reason. But based on this thread, it appeared he may have had a choice, thus my ranting.

/Agree with mbentley.

I am testing a database application at work. It currently is only supported in IE 8. And we are getting regular "Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working". Doesn't happen as much on my computer, but it does a lot on my supervisor's. Only thing I could do was have her remote into another machine to work on the app from there. Not a hassle at all really since she has dual monitors.

The developer is working on Firefox support, but what am I suppose to do? Beat them until they do? My state's webapps are the same way. Firefox releasing a new version every month doesn't help either.

thanks Redduc900 and everyone I solved the problem by disabling all Add ons to IE8 and reverted to default settings. Now working again not that I use it much now but it is needed occasionally Thanks again Jamina

Back