• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid 1 HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Danmg

Hello :) first time posting new to this site.
I am currently building a new sytem as a photoshop workstation and gaming( got to have my swtor and eve online)
Cm Storm Trooper
Coasiar ax1200 (over kill but getting tired of not enough juice)
Plextor dvd rw
Plextor blu ray burner
2 hypers x 120gb ssd
2 wd 2tb black drives
Phantek red cpu/heatsink cooler
i7 3280 or 3930 ( getting one this weekend)
msi big bang xpower II coming tomorrow
will get some LP memory 32gb to start
ok the ssd are going to sata 1 & 2 for raid 1 setup more wear and tear on them but i hate backuping stuff.
The problem is i want to raid 1 the 2 WD but the only raid ports are 3g. Ports 7-10 are 6gb but no raid.
I know they wont ever hit 6gb speed but should i get a different board that does raid the 2 wd or leave them in the 3gb ports?
Is there are real world difference sticking them in the 3gb or 6gb port? For a raid? I know indivually not much difference as a single drive but raid heard u can get over 200.
Thanks for any help

I think I read that you want to raid 1 the two SSDs and then put the two WD drives in raid 1 aswell, but you are concerned because the two WD drives will go into sataII ports? I don't think you should worry about this because raid 1 does not give out the performance boost of a raid 0 and they are mechanical drives so they should be fine in sataII ports anyway.

Agreed with Twiggz. For the mechanical drives I can't see much reason to not put them on a SataII connection, I highly doubt they can come close to filling that bandwidth level anyway.

Back