• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will my pump be able to handle 2 meters more of tubing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

txus.palacios

Dear overclockers:

This idea just popped out of my mind. I found a MORA (not exactly MORA, a Phobya 120.9 rad) for a very nice price on a Spanish classifieds, and I thought "Hey, what about installing that LITTLE radiator... OUTSIDE?".

I have my computer kinda near a window that leads to an indoor courtyard. I could easily install the MORA there, and, for the fans, I have a pair of those little Phobya 90W 12V PSU that would take care of them.

But, the only problem I think I may face is that there is about a meter from my desk to the window and to the place where I could install the rad. That would mean two extra meters of tubing for the pump to handle, plus the MORA. Will my D5 be able to handle that?

Thanks for everything,

You will be removing another radiator from the loop to do this or no?
The D5 is a pretty powerful pump I imagine it should handle a loop with a big rad like that plus the horizontal. It probably isnt going to push the greatest flow rate but the giant radiator should make up for that.

No problems. My external cooling is 1.5+ Meters away from the computer, and I use the little MCP-350 from over 5 years ago. You're pump beats mine easily.
:thup:

@ssjwizard: I think so, or if I do not remove the GTX 360, I'll put it outside, or maybe I just keep it for the looks, You gotta agree that the three San Aces look kinda sexy inside a 800D.

@Diggrr, cool!

I promise to send pics if I ever do this.

For the fans, what would you use? Yate Loon Highs?

I can't comment on the fans, I tend to buy the high-end ones that are $20+ apiece...that's why my fans are 8-10 years old.
For 9 of them mounted outside where I can't hear them, I'd be sorely tempted to get the cheap ones.

Which fans would you buy for the Xtreme Nova 1080 from Phobya? As long as they have a low amperage (will be driven by a 7.5A 12V PSU, so up to 0.83A for push and 0.4A for push/pull) and are not super-expensive (+25$ each), I may consider them. Also, if possible, not too heavy.

Why use PC fans anyway. Why not use a window box fan? or a smaller honeywell?

Is it ever going to get cold enough that the water in the rad could freeze? Because if that happens, the rad tubes will split and you'll have a lot of issues...just so you're aware.

Is it ever going to get cold enough that the water in the rad could freeze? Because if that happens, the rad tubes will split and you'll have a lot of issues...just so you're aware.

Oh, thanks m0r7if3r for that info.

Actually, water could freeze, the lowest temperature I've recorded is of -4ºC, but, if instead of pure DI water, I use DI water + ethylene glycol, just like car radiators, it shouldn't have a problem, right?

Why use PC fans anyway. Why not use a window box fan? or a smaller honeywell?

I did not consider that, I'll have to pay the local store a visit.

Actually, water could freeze, the lowest temperature I've recorded is of -4ºC, but, if instead of pure DI water, I use DI water + ethylene glycol, just like car radiators, it shouldn't have a problem, right?

Shouldn't be an issue. Make sure you check the rad periodically for signs that the environment is wearing it out periodicially too.

For the winter months, I would use a gauge like below, available from auto parts stores (may have to hunt in Spain).
You squeeze the bulb and release slowly to draw your fluid into it, and the needle floats to the temperature it's protected to.
If your lowest recorded is -4°C, I would premix the fluid to at least -10°C.

During the warmer months, I'd run the usual mix of distilled water and biocide for best performance.

Always keep an eye on your system when it's cold outside, you don't want any condensation forming on the tubes/water block. If necessary, you might have to move the radiator inside for those months, then glycol wouldn't be needed...

Oh, I've seen things like those at a local car part store, I think they call them something like "hidrómetro".

Would you guys install my GTX360 somewhere?

Last edited:
If hídrometro means hydrometer, then that is false. Hydrometer are used to measure SG(specific gravity) of batteries. Like automotive and golf cart batteries. I build custom golf carts and that is the only real way to test the condition of your battery.

Okay then yes you are good. It looks like the above picture. A hydrometer looks just like a turkey baster. Inside it has a glass rod with mercury at the bottom of it and is labeled red, green and white with the different specific gravity levels on it, and when you suck up the water from a battery it floats and tells you the SG as well as its discharge percentage :D

Like you were asking about ratios i would go 50/50 or 40% antifreeze and 60% distilled water:)

beware if you let that system get cold. the viscosity of the glycol your adding goes way up and it will be murder on your pumps. just make sure not to let that happen. and to address MODZ 4 HIRE, they make those devices for both battery fluid and for antifreeze they both basically work the same but are just calibrated differently for the two different fluids.

Yep. Actually saw one today made for windshield washer fluid too. On NewEgg of all places!

Still a Hydrometer.

Thanks guys for your answers. :)

As soon as I get some free time to spend with this project (summer?), I'll start with it. But first, I would like to ask you some more questions.

The 1,2-ethanediol/water ratio. I did not consider the viscosity of the fluid, to be honest. What ratio shall I use, then? I read on this datasheet, that for -11ºC protection, I should use a 30/70 ratio of ethylene glycol and water. Shall I look for pure ethylene glycol and mix it, or use any of the premixed car antifreeze?

EDIT: And, another question, I still haven't made my mind up about the fans. Which fans would you use for this? Max. 0.40A.
I'm looking at four Silverstone FN181, I think I will go the 180mm way.

EDIT2: Ok, THAT datasheet was for propylene glycol, not ethylene glycol, my fault. But Wikipedia has info on the subject, and they also confirm that 30/70 would protect up to -11ºC.

EDIT3: Just read on Martin's that parallel is useless if it isn't a super low restriction loop, so, semi-dual-loop is a no go, what about 2 D5 serial? Or is my D5 capable of it?

Last edited:
beware if you let that system get cold. the viscosity of the glycol your adding goes way up and it will be murder on your pumps. just make sure not to let that happen. and to address MODZ 4 HIRE, they make those devices for both battery fluid and for antifreeze they both basically work the same but are just calibrated differently for the two different fluids.

I understand they are both hydrometers, just sayin I you are in an auto parts store and you see one labeled Hydrometer, it is calibrated for specific gravity. The coolant tester does not say hydrometer on the front of package. Can be misleading for some. Just trying to clear things up :)

Back