• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which paste to use on EVO and 960T?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stealth3si

I have a 7 year old AS5 compound lying around and the Cooler Master Thermal paste that came with the EVO.

Are any below go really well with EVO HSF and 960T?

Shin Etsu G751
OCZ Freeze
TIM Consultants T-C Grease 0098
IC Seven Carat Diamond
MX2
AS5
Cooler Master EVO paste

I've been using Ceramique for years. I used to use Artic Silver 3 then 5, but ran out. Saw a deal on the giant tube ot AS Ceramique and never went back to AS5. Ceramique works great and I'm happy.

I vote use what you have that's new/fresh. I don't see any problems using what came with the EVO.

I use ceramique, it's the best bang/buck IMO.
(short of the $4/pint stuff, but that only wins because you get an awful lot of it)

The difference between all of those are minimal...the AS5 you have is fine (if it didn't dry up), and even if it did the Evo paste is still good stuff.

How about a paste that's great for overclocking? Something that would give me headroom for medium to heavy overclocking in the future.

EDIT: I also found some old paste stored away.

It's called the Arctic Silver Ceramique and Zalman Thermal Grease CSL 850.

I use ceramique, it's the best bang/buck IMO.
(short of the $4/pint stuff, but that only wins because you get an awful lot of it)

See previous :D

You can lose maybe 5c-8c by going to MX4, but it costs a bunch more. Not worth it IMO.

I use ceramique even for 5.2GHz air benching at 1.55-1.6v.

UPDATE: I have my eye on the Prolimatech PRO-PK1 now. Seems to be the best and costs the least, albiet with 1g. Would this work on the EVO heatsink (CDC technology) and 960T CPU?

I repeat, the difference in temperatures is so small, it's not worth buying new paste just for the increase in performance.

Shin Etsu G751 has been around forever, is non conductive and a good choice
Arctic Silver Ceramiquie has also been around just about forever, is non conductive and performs similarly to the Shin Etsu compound.
Arctic Coolin MX4 is probably the best of these 3, is non conductive and like the other 2, cheap.
Arctic Silver 5 is a good cooler, unfortunately its conductive though really you should use so much that it squashes out the sides of your chip anyway. Heatspreaders mean you're highly unlikely to be able to cause any damage. It's also time proven like the above 4 and readily available.

I've used IC Diamond paste before and found that the vibration of the fan passes through the fan and down the heat pipes. I ended up with the lines from the 3x heatpipes polished/ground into the heatspreader on the top of my chip. Because of this I personally don't recommend IC diamond. Besides, its overly expensive.

Boys and computers is like girls and boobs, they like to spend money on expensive silicone and put it on display and brag about it.

You're saying you don't like looking in either case? :p

Besides, you can read a bit into peoples values by what hardware they buy.... Mind you, doesn't mean you necessarily understand other peoples choices, their values are often different to your own. Mind you, it's interesting when you come across other people with similar views when it comes to computer hardware.

No paste is better than the other IMO. All just a money grab. If applied correctly, the CM paste will perform just the same as any other brand.

You're saying you don't like looking in either case? :p

Besides, you can read a bit into peoples values by what hardware they buy.... Mind you, doesn't mean you necessarily understand other peoples choices, their values are often different to your own. Mind you, it's interesting when you come across other people with similar views when it comes to computer hardware.

I'm about functionality first and value second (I'm cheap). That's why I love to OC and utilized to the maximum each and every equipment that I own. When it come's to TIM, around here, the good ones are all around $10/tube. Which will last me until Sandy Bridge is as useful as my 386 - DX40.

I'll probably get the Prolimatech PRO-PK1. I see it's one of the best in TH's thermal compound roundup. and every lil' bit helps I guess.

Back