• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vid card or mobo+cpu best bang for buck

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Metlcub

Hey all
Well house got broken into over the weekend, TV, HTPC, and PS3 were damaged, when the they were carrying the stuff outside, the cops were waiting for them, of course they took off running and threw the stuff down, and with the sprinklers running, everything got water damaged. They did not how ever go upstairs and take my main rig.

Good new is they got busted , and tackled and cuffed, 1 wrist was broken in the scuffle.

So, Best bang for the buck, Keep the X58 system in sig and upgrade to a GTX570,
or replace X58 - keep GTX470 and get

Asus Crosshair Formula V and FX-8120 keeping everything else? Both options would be about the same price, I'd get a better Sata 3 performance with the Formula V board, and probably better sound. What you think would be best rout to take, get GTX570 or Formula V + FX 8120?

Everything else I'll be keeping thats in my sig. once the insurance money comes in on the computer, TV, PS3, I'll replace those, but Probably just a TV n PS3 for now.

well, I got my plan, get the Asus Crosshair V forluma mobo and the FX-8120, sell my X58 board and i7-930 and put that to a new card.

I don't see why the CPU switch is necessary...the speed difference is EXTREMELY minimal between those two CPUs.

Hey all
Well house got broken into over the weekend, TV, HTPC, and PS3 were damaged, when the they were carrying the stuff outside, the cops were waiting for them, of course they took off running and threw the stuff down, and with the sprinklers running, everything got water damaged. They did not how ever go upstairs and take my main rig.

Good new is they got busted , and tackled and cuffed, 1 wrist was broken in the scuffle.

So, Best bang for the buck, Keep the X58 system in sig and upgrade to a GTX570,
or replace X58 - keep GTX470 and get

Asus Crosshair Formula V and FX-8120 keeping everything else? Both options would be about the same price, I'd get a better Sata 3 performance with the Formula V board, and probably better sound. What you think would be best rout to take, get GTX570 or Formula V + FX 8120?

Everything else I'll be keeping thats in my sig. once the insurance money comes in on the computer, TV, PS3, I'll replace those, but Probably just a TV n PS3 for now.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Met.

well, I got my plan, get the Asus Crosshair V forluma mobo and the FX-8120, sell my X58 board and i7-930 and put that to a new card.

why are you going to switch to a AMD is beyond me. :s if you care going to fork out for a 8120, you might as well get a 2500k they are about the same price, and the 2500k kicks the crap out of it for gaming performance. The performance difference between a i7 nehalem and the bulldozer line is very minimal.

Also if i go with the i5 2500k you dont need an expensive mobo either. All ocing is done by the multi. Also you can hit 4.8 ghz on air without running into any problems

I don't understand how ANYBODY buys an amd cpu over an Intel these days.

in the mid to low market ( ie below the 2500k) amd do have a fighting chance. But if you are going to spend around $200 on a cpu, a 2500k will kick the snot out of anything that AMD can offer for that price.

Back