• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake Frio + M5A88-V Evo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aldakoopa

KING OF PROCRASTINATION Member
I'm still using the stock cooler for my FX-4100, and today Newegg has a sale on the Thermaltake Frio CLP0564 that will cost about as much as the Hyper 212 Evo, which I was thinking about getting. I like that the Thermaltake looks a little better,comes with a second fan, I believe it outperforms the Hyper 212, but it's a little larger and I'm wondering if it will fit on my motherboard, and also if it will fit in my Antec 300. If nobody knows then I will do some measuring tonight so I can decide if I want to buy before the sale ends. :D

i'm wondering the same thing. how much clearance is there for the first (a1) ram slot and the side case fan?

i've got a similar rig as you except the cpu and my ram is relatively low profile it's the G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL.

If the first ram slot is taken by the Frio's fan then it's possible the rams can still work on the otehr slots not sure though.

EDIT: nope just took some measurements and it won't fit...it takes up the first two DIMM slots vertically and horizontally.

Last edited:
i'm wondering the same thing. how much clearance is there for the first (a1) ram slot and the side case fan?

i've got a similar rig as you except the cpu and my ram is relatively low profile it's the G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL.

If the first ram slot is taken by the Frio's fan then it's possible the rams can still work on the otehr slots not sure though.

EDIT: nope just took some measurements and it won't fit...it takes up the first two DIMM slots vertically and horizontally.

You have the M5A88-V Evo too?

You have the M5A88-V Evo too?

yep

i also got an email from Thermaltake support:

Hello,
Thank you for contacting Thermaltake Customer Service.

By measurements we don't think you will be able to use a memory stick in DIMM_A1 for that motherboard if you use our FRIO. Since the Gskill kit you have is a dual stick kit, you will have to use DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 in order to not only use both sticks in conjunction with our cpu cooler, but to be able to use Dual Channel as well.

Thermaltake USA Customer Service
1-800-988-1088 M-F 9:00AM ~ 5:30PM (P.S.T)
Great savings on premium Thermaltake products at Thermaltake Store (www.thermaltakeusa.com/store)

-----OriginalMessage264189-----
Name: ******** Email: *************** Phone: ********** Company: Question / Comment: What is the clearance for the Thermaltake Frio CLP0564 on Asus M5A88-V EVO and G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL.
I still think it's too big that it'll cover DIMM_A2 as well.

yep

i also got an email from Thermaltake support:

I still think it's too big that it'll cover DIMM_A2 as well.

I think so myself, especially with the use of both fans. Oh well, the Hyper 212 is still looking like the best way to go then.

Another question kind of related, is there any difference between the AM3 and AM3+ sockets when it comes to the mounting hardware? I have been assuming no, and that anything that said AM3 would work on my AM3+ board.

Mounting is the same. AM2 upwards are all the same :thup:

Ok, thanks for the quick reply. I tried searching and about all I had come up with so far was all the technical differences between AM3 and AM3+, like the voltage regulation and stuff like that.

So, with this in mind, all I have to do is find a cooler that says it is AM2 compatible and it will work.

Yup.
AMD mounting has changed very little, if at all, from socket 754 through 939 through AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+/FM1.
A few 754 and 939 boards have slightly different mounting, and the bolt holes that hold the plastic frame to the motherboard are different sometimes.
Everything AM2 onward is identical, even if it's AM3+ without the full frame around the CPU. The bolt holes and clips are in the same spot.

Back