• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recently purchased computer with AMD-FX 8120 and my concerns.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Phont

Registered
Specs:

Processor = AMD-FX 8120 8-core 3.1gHZ

Video Card = HIS Radeon HD 6950 IceQ X Turbo 2.0 GB

RAM = 8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1800 Memory Module - Corsair

Motherboard = ASUS M5A97 -- AMD 970

Power Supply = 800Watt - Standard

Processor Cooling = Liquid CPU Cooling System [AMD] - ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade

This computer is quite new; Around 2 months old and built/put together from ibuypower.com.

I've been having issues playing certain games due to the 8-core compatibility of AMD-FX 8120.

I've been suggested to disable 4 of the cores and to overclock the remaining ones to possibly improve my performance until Windows 8 is released with the proper compatibility.

Another thing that worries me about this computer is the temperatures.

Here is a screenshot of my computer's temperatures:

I don't think my liquid cooling is working properly.

When gaming, the temperature goes up to 50-60C.

This is the temperature without it being overclocked.

So to clarify, here is what I'm wanting help with:

1) Should I disable 4 of my cores so my processor could be more compatible with current gaming until the release of Windows 8 where the compatibility of 8-cores is said to increase?

2) How exactly would I go about overclocking my current CPU?

3) Are my temperatures too high with liquid cooling being used? I've heard so.

This is a lot to ask for and appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Last edited:
To add on to my first post, I just used ycruncher to put my computer under a stress test of 7.0 GB memory limit.

This is how my temperatures look after:

I'm afraid to attempt to overclock my processor in fear of the temperature increasing too much afterwards.

Last edited:
Your temperatures aren't unsafe at a max core temp of 50C. I'm not familiar at all with the water cooling system you are using. Can you give a link to the product? One common misconception is that any water cooling system will be better than air cooling. Not so. Top drawer air cooling like the Noctua D14 will beat the socks off inexpensive water kits. Not until you get into something like the Corsair H100 (about $120 US dollars) do you get better cooling than air.

I'm also not familiar at all with the stress tester you are using. Never heard of "ycruncher" so I cannot comment on how thorough it is. Most people around here use Prime95 or OCCT. Are you using Windows or Linux? How long did you run the stress test?

To add on to my first post, I just used ycruncher to put my computer under a stress test of 7.0 GB memory limit.

This is how my temperatures look after:

I'm afraid to attempt to overclock my processor in fear of the temperature increasing too much afterwards.

I tried using Prime95, but it kept displaying this:

I'm not really sure of the liquid cooling it contains.

It mainly just said AMD CPU Liquid Cooling System and 120mm ARC fan upgrade.

Here's a picture: http://www.ibuypower.com/Images/Components/4250/arc-red-angle-sm.jpg

I ran the stress test for about 10 minutes since my temperatures didn't seem to be varying after that amount of time. I'm sure that's not long enough.

The problem I'm having is that I'm having difficulty running games for some reason on my processor where I have way past the recommended specs.

I tried downloading CPU-Z to display other specs of my PC but every time I tried to run it, it said the program has stopped working.

EDIT: That was the spare fan that I linked.

This looks like what's in my PC: http://www.ibuypower.com/ibppages/Img/Liquid_Cooling_page_title.jpg

Not sure what options in Prime95 you chose but you should choose, "Just stress testing", "Toture Test", "Blend, something of everything." How about trying that again.
"

Right when I opened it, I chose Blend and that's what happens.

My question is, what make/model is that PSU?
HWMonitor is dubious at best at recording voltages, but if it's correct about the amount of droop under load I have serious doubts about that PSU.

CPU temp wise, if HWMonitor is correct you're running 1.4 vcore, far higher than stock for any FX chip I'm aware of. I had a GBT motherboard with a feature called "core performance boost" that did some automatic OCing, defaulted to on, and raised the voltage from stock (1.25v) to 1.42v. It cause some serious heat issues before I found that setting and disabled it.
Once it was disabled my FX really runs quite cool.

Here's some info using AMD OverDrive.

It's only showing my core clock speed to be 1400 mHZ?

It looks like coolNquiet is enabled, that's why you are only showing 1400 MHz,as it drops the multi and vcore to save power when not in an active state, as you can see the vcore is only 0.89v also.If you keep AOD open and stress the PC you will see it ramp up to full power. I don't know what ram that is but the timings are not the best if AOD is reading the SPD correctly.

It looks like coolNquiet is enabled, that's why you are only showing 1400 MHz,as it drops the multi and vcore to save power when not in an active state, as you can see the vcore is only 0.89v also.If you keep AOD open and stress the PC you will see it ramp up to full power. I don't know what ram that is but the timings are not the best if AOD is reading the SPD correctly.

Would you know of a possible fix to the timings?

I've read it's not something you want to dive in to without experience.

You really need to get CPU-z working,and that will tell us in easier pictures what the ram is doing as AOD is a pain in the **** to work with, once you get CPU-z installed, take a screen shot of the memory CPU and spd tabs and they will tell us everything :thup:

That doesn't really tell us anything :D
Do you have a link to a product page?
What does the label on the PSU say?

I'd have to open my case to see the label, right? Sorry, I'm not very computer-savvy.

@keny,

I've installed and reinstalled it multiple times but it keeps telling me the same thing for some odd reason.

I was using that one, yes.

I reinstalled and now the program won't even open when I try to.

@Aldakoopa,

It's framerate lag.

For example in Assassin's Creed 1 when I look down on the city from a roof top. My frames drop to about 30.

I figured this computer could run it on max settings with no problem, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The reason I asked is because there's some problems with other games, such as Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Total War: Shogun 2, Portal 2, and Team Fortress 2, (at least the Steam versions of them). I can't find anything about Assassin's Creed not working though.

On an unrelated note, I wish I had gone for the IceQ X Turbo 6950 instead of the 6850, but that's just an afterthought. Oh well. :rolleyes:

The reason I asked is because there's some problems with other games, such as Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Total War: Shogun 2, Portal 2, and Team Fortress 2, (at least the Steam versions of them). I can't find anything about Assassin's Creed not working though.

On an unrelated note, I wish I had gone for the IceQ X Turbo 6950 instead of the 6850, but that's just an afterthought. Oh well. :rolleyes:

You'd think with my computer specs, I'd be able to run the game just fine...

Since my computer was pre-built at ibuypower.com, someone recommended a system wipe.

I'd have to open my case to see the label, right? Sorry, I'm not very computer-savvy.

@keny,

I've installed and reinstalled it multiple times but it keeps telling me the same thing for some odd reason.

Yeah, the PSU'll be the bit with the wall power cord going into it and a bunch of wires coming out on the inside. It should (I hope!) have a label with the brand/model/wattage on it.

Back