• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to overclocking. What do you think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hansthegerman

Registered
How's it goin guys. I'm new to overclocking but I decided to play around a little bit. I have...
AMD Phenom x2 555 black edition (All 4 cores unlocked :attn:)
Gigabyte GA870A-UD3 Rev 3.1 mobo
EVGA GTX 460SE
8Gb PNY Optima Ram
Thermaltake TR2 600W PSU
Samsung Spinpoint 1tb HDD
OCZ Agility 3 60gb SSD

Anyway, I was able to get the processor to 4Ghz w/ 1.4 Vcore and multiplier only. Ran Prime95 for 12 hours and still had all 4 cores running. Usually core 3 dropped out first if I had stability issues. CPU temp was usually around 64c, but in the morning it went up to 68. Oh and it's being cooled by a ZALMAN CNPS9500. Anyway, heres screenshot of CPU-Z and early Prime95
yeahhh.jpg
I was just wondering if this was right. Being new at this I'm not sure what to expect, but 4GHz with only 1.4Vcore on air seems almost too good to be true.

Oh and memory is manually set at 1t, which hasn't failed... yet.

Anywords?

68c? Oh my god :shock: . Most of us are scared when we hit 55c and are trembling when we hit 60c. You're going to burn the **** outta your CPU if you keep that OC up...

Can you post a HWMonitor picture and tell us what setup you have for fans in your PC?

Really? I was reading a topic yesterday where the guy was running same CPU at 81 and people were telling him not to go over 70? I figured 68 at max load after 12 hours was okay?:confused:

Are you sure it wasn't an Intel thread? All Intel processors have a higher thermal limit than AMD (which is about 60c)

I'm 99% sure it was an AMD thread. I dont have the thread anymore but I'm pretty sure it was someone with the same CPU and same Mobo. So I shouldn't go above 55?

How accurate is core temp after the unlock. I know locked you get core temp for each core, when u unlock you can't get individual temp. I have a fan controller that's got a sensor attached to the bottom of the heat sync(Not inbetween the processor and the heat sync, but it's right next to the processor and attached to the heat sync) And that was reading mid-high 40's. I'm wondering if the core temp Speedfan was reading was accurate. Once Prime 95 was shut down, according to Speedfan, temp went from 68-45 in about a second or two. It can't cool that fast can it?

When i get home im going to rig something up to get better airflow across my heatsync. Im a senior in aeronautical engineering so im sure i can come up with something to get better airflow.

If you are hitting those sort of temps at such a low vcore that cooler wants slinging in the bin ! If you use HW monitor to check the core temp against the socket temp on the locked CPU use the socket temp as a reference on the unlocked CPU you can get a better idea of what sort of temps you are running, as those temps don't seem realistic for an aftermarket cooler, also the bloke running his at 80c is full of s*** as the CPU would have thermal shutdown at those temps to stop him melting the *** of his chip.

I start to shake at seems anything over 60c. I have always tried to keep it under 57c when stress 55c is with out a doubt max for pII. If you are using stock cooler like others said pick up a better cooler(Cheaper then a new chip) Hyper 212 is the best I know of for the price like 30 bucks. 1.4 should not get that hot. I was 1.5 and only 58c with load. Correct me if I am wrong as I am new to amd's but after 55c it starts to do math wrong. Least thats what I have been told.

Mmm... I am actually surprised this Deneb is stable at such a high temp@4GHz.

As it is an unlocked cores CPU, I am wondering if there is not something wrong with the sensors...

Thats what im wondering. Im going to set it back to stock, run prine 95 and compare cpu temps with what my fan controller reads.

If you are hitting those sort of temps at such a low vcore that cooler wants slinging in the bin ! If you use HW monitor to check the core temp against the socket temp on the locked CPU use the socket temp as a reference on the unlocked CPU you can get a better idea of what sort of temps you are running, as those temps don't seem realistic for an aftermarket cooler, also the bloke running his at 80c is full of s*** as the CPU would have thermal shutdown at those temps to stop him melting the *** of his chip.

For amd chips yes they thermal shut down on most chips once they hit 69-70c. For APU's thermal shutdown can happen as early as 65c on some boards as a default, usually the chip becomes unstable and crashes before the shutdown takes effect most of the time. For intel chips like like the ist gen iCore series thermal shutdown is 80-85c. For icore 2nd gen (sandy bridge) Thermal shut down is between 92-95c.

Generally most AMD dont like high temps. 40-50c is really there optimum temperture range under load, They seem to be the happiest there. If you can pull that off. There are some that are happy running hotter and still overclock like champs, but in general those chips break from the norm.

Also command rate makes little to no difference on most amd chips. So if you can run a lower timing at 2t your better off doing that. Than trying to run 1t.

Here it is stock as a dual core,
Untitled2.jpg
here it is in quad core @ 4GHz, I stopped it at what i think is 55c.
Untitled.jpg

and I've established my fan controller temp is def not close to core temp.

and it got to 55 pretty fast.

Leave hardware monitor on while you run it so we can see the max it gets to. If your going by the TMPIN1 chances are the values are incorrect, you need to go off the core amf phenom II x4, temperatures for the cores.

Those top temp sensors are thermal resistors on the board and are highly inconsistent, and the large majority of the time wrong no matter what is being run.

third.jpg

Thats when it started fluctuating.
and I have.

2 Rosewill 120mm fans, one intake upfront and exhaust out back @74 cfm
1 80mm on the side of the case just infront of the CPU @ 33 cfm
and the ZALMAN CNPS9500 heat sync.

I'm currently testing it @ 3.6Ghz at 1.25 volts.

Last edited:
Why create a background instead of saying that NO MATTER WHAT the Phenom II and Athlon II will not increase in speed after reaching 55C on loaded temperatures. Let me repeat that, all Phenom IIs and Athlon IIs will not increase their speed (overclock) and more once the loaded temperature on the cores reaches 55C.

Taken from Dolk's PII Overclocking guide. I've actually had mine over 60C and had spontaneous shut downs when I was trying to find the wall for this cpu. I saw a few members pointed out to you the "safe zone" temps and I just wanted to throw Dolk's guide quote in there because many members here use Dolk's Guide as a standard for over clocking their PII's.

I also wanted to point out that though 55C is in the "Safe Zone" I wouldn't consider it safe for 24/7 use.

Leave hardware monitor on while you run it so we can see the max it gets to.

+1 on this. It's important for us to see exact temps and not estimates just because it gives us a better insight as to what's going on. Temperature are everything :D

Here's what I'm testing now.
fourth.jpg

3.7 @ 1.3v . Prime 95 has been running for almost 3 hours and now temp is fluctuates between 52 and 53.

Back