• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

monitor vs tv

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fishthesecond

hi at all,

can you help me come to a desicion?
i am currently on the seek for a monitor/tv that would be used in two situations:
as desktop-monitor (mostly powerpoint, web-browsing and stuff like that) and to watch videos. here is the thing though: when watching videos i dont wanna sit at the desk but on the sofa behind it. that would make the distance monitor - eye about 390cm/155'
my question now is:
is there a size that would fit both needs? is it comfortable to watch movies on a 22'/27' screen 150' away or to work on a 42' display?

very important: are there - when close - any differences between monitor and tv in terms of health of the eye?

btw i dont really care about what colours are a little bit deeper or which contrast ratio might be a little bit better.
i am not so sure about pixels though, since the big tvs often have a simlar resolution to the way smaller screens and if this affects the quality of the "day to day office experience" inacceptabely.

anyhow: i would appreciate any help.

thank you very much!

I don't know of any health issues from being that close, but I imagine it wouldn't be comfortable. 27" would be pretty small over ten feet away, but certainly do-able given you have decent vision. With that kind of distance, I would look at a 40"+ TV. If you think that will be too close, you can always push the monitor back on the desk, if you have the space. I assume that buying a computer monitor and a TV is probably out of the question?

Only problem I have with tv's is fps's suck if your used to a low input lag monitor and are a twitchy player but since your using it for just office stuff and movies I think a tv would be fine I think a 32 would be perfect

Back