Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

Raid for 24 TB

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 03-30-12, 11:42 PM Thread Starter   #1
KHAnet

Raid for 24 TB

i'm currently building a media server for all of my content and getting rid of 4 external usb HDD's. My question is i'm going to get an 8 port raid controller with 3TB HDD's, with that many drives would it be safer to go raid 6 and lose basically a drive worth of space or go with raid 5. Thank you in advance.
KHAnet is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-31-12, 01:46 AM   #2
Adragontattoo
Trailer Chasing Senior

Location: Northwestern corner of Va. USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol Sector, outer arm of spiral galaxy

Depends on much more than what you put in.

HW Raid or SW Raid/ZFS?

Classies Rules and Regs
Prices, slashes and edits
Quality over Quantity Pictures are NOT req.
Adopt an animal if you want one, dont use a breeder!
Adragontattoo is offline Author Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-31-12, 10:14 AM Thread Starter   #3
KHAnet

Hardware raid
Old 03-31-12, 09:15 PM   #4
Randyman...

I like RAID-6 with large drives with important data - but I have read the arguments against RAID5/6 and I am slightly intrigued by using RAID10 instead (also has a few drawbacks of its own).

Will all 24TB be backed up elsewhere? If not - don't even consider it. Backup somewhere, and use a RAID-6 for primary storage. Should be pretty dang solid...

PC#1 (Main Rig) : Lian Li PC-V1010 / P8Z68-V-GEN3 / 3750K @ 4.5GHz + Ven-X / 16GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 / HD5770 "XXX" 1GB / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / (6x) 2TB 5K3000 on Areca ARC1222 in RAID-6 / Seasonic X660 PSU / 2407WFP-HC / RME "Multiface" 38 Ch. Audio I/O / Dynaudio AIR-15 + AIR-BASE-2 Studio Monitors
PC#2 (Realtime DAW) : Lian-Li PC-K65B / Sabertooth X79 / i7-3820 @ 4.8GHz + TRUE / 8GB RipJaws DDR3-2133 / HD6570 / 120GB Intel 520 / 4x 1TB on Areca ARC-1210 in RAID-5 / RME "HDSPe MADI" 128 Channel Audio I/O / 2x SSL AlphaLink MADI AX / 48 Mic Inputs + Fully-discrete Mic Preamps + 4260Watt PA System with 5x 18" JBL Subs :-)
NAS#1: NSC-800 ITX Case / Asus P8H61-ITX / i3-2120 / (8x) 1TB 7200.12's in RAID-6 on Areca ARC-1220 Card
NAS#2: 12TB ReadyNAS Ultra-4+ / (4x) 3TB 5K3000's
And 7 other i7/i5/C2D/C2Q PC's
Randyman... is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-31-12, 09:25 PM   #5
thideras
Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
Premium Member #3

With that much storage, I would absolutely go with RAID 6. The problem is that you are reaching the raw read error rate of hard drives today, which is around once in every 12tb of data. That means you have a very high change of getting a read error rate while simply rebuilding an array. If you lost a drive in RAID 5, it would not be able to recover if it got a read error, which could break the array or corrupt data silently. I would seriously consider ZFS for this array as it has the ability to detect corruption better than a RAID array can.

8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
Router: Coming soon
"That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
"Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current project: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!
thideras is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-31-12, 11:43 PM Thread Starter   #6
KHAnet

Thank you for the replies, I'm going to try raid 6.
Old 04-04-12, 10:57 AM   #7
Adragontattoo
Trailer Chasing Senior

Location: Northwestern corner of Va. USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol Sector, outer arm of spiral galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thideras View Post
With that much storage, I would absolutely go with RAID 6. The problem is that you are reaching the raw read error rate of hard drives today, which is around once in every 12tb of data. That means you have a very high change of getting a read error rate while simply rebuilding an array. If you lost a drive in RAID 5, it would not be able to recover if it got a read error, which could break the array or corrupt data silently. I would seriously consider ZFS for this array as it has the ability to detect corruption better than a RAID array can.

If you arent going to go with ZFS, at least look at doing to arrays to keep closer to the 12tb line. While not as convenient, it is a much smaller headache then corrupt data.

Classies Rules and Regs
Prices, slashes and edits
Quality over Quantity Pictures are NOT req.
Adopt an animal if you want one, dont use a breeder!
Adragontattoo is offline Author Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.