AMD Motherboards
Forum Jump

CPU or Motherboard dead?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 04-01-12, 10:49 AM Thread Starter   #1
Wolfdawg
Registered

Unhappy CPU or Motherboard dead?

I couldn't find a technical help section, so I'm posting here.

system specs
Phenom II x4 3.40ghz (no oc at the time)
GTX560
2gb ddr3 ram (plan on 2 8gb sticks)
motherboard NF725GM-P43

I was playing the game "lord the the rings war in the north" Forgot my CPU fan was at 40%, It read as 130f in game, so I set fan speed to 60%.

5 minutes later instant shutdown without a bluescreen and a bad smell....my CPU heatsink was hot as **** . Computer wont turn on afteran hour of waiting to cool down.

Fans spin for half a second but no boot, tried removing everything except for my CPU, same results. I un hooked the 4pin giving power to my CPU and wha-bam the fans run and otherparts of my PC, but still no boot/post beeps.

When re seating my heat sink, the CPU came out with it....(got it off with a screw driver) released the socket and put everything back in. Same results.

Is my CPU or motherboard dead? how can I test my motherboard. I never learned how before building this PC and can't find results anywhere.
Wolfdawg is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 04-01-12, 10:57 AM   #2
trents

You can only test the motherboard with another CPU. A motherboard will not power unless a valid CPU is present. It does sound like the CPU fried but nonetheless do a visual inspection of the motherboard to look for bulging or leaking capacitors or burned mosfets. It might also be a good idea, just in case, to swap out the PSU with a known good one if you have a spare or can borrow one.

RAM: 16 (4x4) gb Team Group Vulcan 2400 mhz @ 2176 mhz / 11-13-13-35-2T
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 7870
Case: NZXT Source 530
PSU: OCZ 750W
Storage: Segate 480 gb SSD + 2x300 gb WD Velociraptors

Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6
trents is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-01-12, 11:19 AM Thread Starter   #3
Wolfdawg
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by trents View Post
You can only test the motherboard with another CPU. A motherboard will not power unless a valid CPU is present. It does sound like the CPU fried but nonetheless do a visual inspection of the motherboard to look for bulging or leaking capacitors or burned mosfets. It might also be a good idea, just in case, to swap out the PSU with a known good one if you have a spare or can borrow one.
the motherboard will not power without a CPU? It just booted up my hard drive without my CPU in

under inspection, there is no damage to the motherboard (no burn marks on the CPU either)

I'm sure the PSU works, I hear they won't give power at all if not working perfectly, and it runs my GTX560 fans and HDD, so it should be working.
Old 04-01-12, 11:24 AM   #4
thideras
Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
Premium Member #3
First Responders

It won't POST because there is nothing to process the information. The components will physically power up (such as your hard drive), but it won't do anything.

8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
Router: Coming soon
"That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
"Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current project: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!
thideras is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-01-12, 11:29 AM Thread Starter   #5
Wolfdawg
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by thideras View Post
It won't POST because there is nothing to process the information. The components will physically power up (such as your hard drive), but it won't do anything.
so as long as my motherboard is doing this, that means its not dead?
Old 04-01-12, 11:29 AM   #6
thideras
Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
Premium Member #3
First Responders

No, it just means it can turn on. That doesn't mean it is functional.

8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
Router: Coming soon
"That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
"Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current project: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!
thideras is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-01-12, 11:34 AM Thread Starter   #7
Wolfdawg
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by thideras View Post
No, it just means it can turn on. That doesn't mean it is functional.
damn, guess I need a working CPU to try out.
would be a shame to waste time to RMA my CPU and it not be the problem.
Well, its the only choice. I don't have spare crap anywhere, and there is 1 computer repair shop in this town.

on a side note, why did my CPU overheat? I left my fan speed at 40% while playing BF3 one time and I just got a hot CPU and bluescreen.No reports of overheating from other people with the game I was playing.
Old 04-01-12, 11:54 AM   #8
Ronbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfdawg View Post
damn, guess I need a working CPU to try out.
would be a shame to waste time to RMA my CPU and it not be the problem.
Well, its the only choice. I don't have spare crap anywhere, and there is 1 computer repair shop in this town.

on a side note, why did my CPU overheat? I left my fan speed at 40% while playing BF3 one time and I just got a hot CPU and bluescreen.No reports of overheating from other people with the game I was playing.
That's actually a complex question... Just because no one else with your cpu playing the same game had over heat problems doesn't really mean much. I would suggest if you're getting bluescreens and shut downs you consider leaving you cpu fan on 100% as most do. I'd never dream of going any lower then max RPM unless I had a water cooling set up with many multiple fans

WD 1TB Caviar Black 7200RPM
Windows 7 HB 64x
G.Skill™ Ripjaws 2x2GB 1600MHz
Lim. Edition Patriots 2x4GB 1600MHz
Corsair 850W TX
GTX 670 - 2GB

HEATWARE
Ronbert is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-01-12, 12:03 PM Thread Starter   #9
Wolfdawg
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbert View Post
That's actually a complex question... Just because no one else with your cpu playing the same game had over heat problems doesn't really mean much. I would suggest if you're getting bluescreens and shut downs you consider leaving you cpu fan on 100% as most do. I'd never dream of going any lower then max RPM unless I had a water cooling set up with many multiple fans
it runs 108f browsing the internet/watching videos on my HDD at 40%. I don't often forget to bump it back up to 100%

I run new vegas and just cause 2 at 70% because they only use 2 cores
Old 04-01-12, 04:17 PM   #10
esCob4r

Quote:
it runs 108f browsing the internet/watching videos on my HDD at 40%. I don't often forget to bump it back up to 100%

I run new vegas and just cause 2 at 70% because they only use 2 cores
It is probably a better idea just to leave the fan speed on your heat sink at 100% or allow it to automatically adjust to avoid these types of problems. Manually adjusting any fan speeds other then say your video cards is a recipe for disaster IMO. Even then the only time I adjust my fan speeds on my gpus is when the automatic crap doesn't adjust it high enough to keep it cool enough. I never put it below what the automatic setting is. I only higher it if need be.

Just a suggestion^^

Also while you inspect your components, you said you smelled something. Well your bust bet to find what may have broke is to pull that said piece away from everything else and smell it. If it smells cooked and its no where near the other components then it is probably what roasted.

Evga GTX 560 SC(Non Ti)
Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Cooler Masters Haf 912
Cooler Masters 120MM Sickle Flow Fan x4
Cooler Masters 120MM 1200RPM Fan x2
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 160G HDD
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 500G HDD
Asus 48X Sata DVD/RW Drive
Corsair HX1000 Power Supply
esCob4r is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-01-12, 04:21 PM   #11
trents

Wolfdawg, please use C. instead of F. when discussing temperatures.

RAM: 16 (4x4) gb Team Group Vulcan 2400 mhz @ 2176 mhz / 11-13-13-35-2T
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 7870
Case: NZXT Source 530
PSU: OCZ 750W
Storage: Segate 480 gb SSD + 2x300 gb WD Velociraptors

Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6
trents is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-01-12, 05:59 PM Thread Starter   #12
Wolfdawg
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by esCob4r View Post
It is probably a better idea just to leave the fan speed on your heat sink at 100% or allow it to automatically adjust to avoid these types of problems. Manually adjusting any fan speeds other then say your video cards is a recipe for disaster IMO. Even then the only time I adjust my fan speeds on my gpus is when the automatic crap doesn't adjust it high enough to keep it cool enough. I never put it below what the automatic setting is. I only higher it if need be.

Just a suggestion^^

Also while you inspect your components, you said you smelled something. Well your bust bet to find what may have broke is to pull that said piece away from everything else and smell it. If it smells cooked and its no where near the other components then it is probably what roasted.
ill be more cafefull with fans speeds from now on.

I don't smell any difference from the other parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trents View Post
Wolfdawg, please use C. instead of F. when discussing temperatures.
sure beans trents
Old 04-16-12, 06:28 PM   #13
Zerix01

Quote:
I was playing the game "lord the the rings war in the north" Forgot my CPU fan was at 40%, It read as 130f in game, so I set fan speed to 60%.
130F should not be enough to fry a CPU but it is getting close. I think PII's are rated for about 70C before they fry (about 150F).

Quote:
Fans spin for half a second but no boot, tried removing everything except for my CPU, same results. I un hooked the 4pin giving power to my CPU and wha-bam the fans run and otherparts of my PC, but still no boot/post beeps.
Just had this same problem with a Gigabyte 890FX board. Replaced the board and all is well.

Quote:
When re seating my heat sink, the CPU came out with it....(got it off with a screw driver) released the socket and put everything back in. Same results.
This has happened to me three times with my PII 1055t. I don't like it and I think I scratched my heatsink with the screw driver this last time. But it still works.

8GB Patriot DDR3 2000MHz (clocked@2133Mhz)
2x Gigabyte 550 Ti 1GB Water Cooled
2x64GB Crucial m4's in RAID 0 + 3x500GB Hitachi HDD's in RAID 5
Fedora 16 64-bit KDE Spin

Folding User Stats
Zerix01 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-17-12, 05:05 PM Thread Starter   #14
Wolfdawg
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerix01 View Post
130F should not be enough to fry a CPU but it is getting close. I think PII's are rated for about 70C before they fry (about 150F).

Just had this same problem with a Gigabyte 890FX board. Replaced the board and all is well.

This has happened to me three times with my PII 1055t. I don't like it and I think I scratched my heatsink with the screw driver this last time. But it still works.
Don't think I would find out the exact temps a CPU can die. I didn't know the temp when it shutdown anyway. but it was HOT.

I think its the CPU, but it could go either way.
Old 05-26-12, 08:48 PM Thread Starter   #15
Wolfdawg
Registered

BOTH my CPU and motherboard died
took forever to get my CPU sent to AMD for RMA because I moved but I got it back last Friday, same problem.

So I sent my Mobo off Monday mid afternoon to CA, USA, flat rate shipping, hoping it would be there (from Tennessee) by tonight, but looks like it will around Monday or Tuesday.

Well...When I was testing the new CPU and found out the Mobo was dead, when taking off the heatsink the CPU came off with it! after inspecting it, it looks to have ONE bent pin, WHAT? how is that even possible??
AMD even sent me a heatsink that doesn't fit, tried to lock it in place, bent metal and plastic on the the heatsink. (going to do the feedback on the RMA once I see that the new CPU even works and see if I can get a heatsink replacement).

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > AMD Motherboards
AMD Motherboards