• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I run 2 x HD5850 2gb Toxic cards on 550w unit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HR4

Registered
Hello

I am thinking of getting another Sapphire Radeon HD5850 2gb Toxic card and would like to run them on my 550w bfg unit, however I am thinking this may not be enough, do I need to upgrade power.

What do you think ?

Thanks

Really depends on the unit. What is the exact model number on it? There are at least three 55w bfg units.
If it's a good unit with a nice solid 12 V rail, yes.
If it is anything else, I don't recommend it.

Without opening it up its the LS model, not sure of its full number..

That's cutting it fairly close, if you have a low to medium wattage cpu and aren't OCing it'll probably work.
Please not the probably!

If it doesn't work it will hopefully hit OCP and shut down rather than exploding, and if it does explode hopefully it'll do it peacefully rather than frying the entire computer.

I can't say I'd recommend it, really.

No I agree, I think I will be looking for a better power unit, once I have my other hd5850 2gb.

600 or 650w any recommendations ? £100 or under..

Thanks..

I don't know what y'all use for online retailers, but look for a Corsair, OCZ ZT series, Antec Anything series. The InWin Green Me 750w is solid as well and MSRPs at $99, don't know if it's available yet or not though.

There's a sticky in this section with a lot of good PSUs in it.

I don't know what y'all use for online retailers, but look for a Corsair, OCZ ZT series, Antec Anything series. The InWin Green Me 750w is solid as well and MSRPs at $99, don't know if it's available yet or not though.

There's a sticky in this section with a lot of good PSUs in it.

Thanks.. will take a look..:)

Back