• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PC Build - POST Problems - Please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jkennedy01

Hi Guys,

Just joined up because im looking for some help on a build.

I have put everything together and on first boot up I get nothing on my screen, all fans, hdd and disk drives are active. The CPU LED is solid red and In the hand book to the board it narrows down the light to a CPU error. The board does not have speakers as far as I know so no beeps.

Looking through many forums it seems to be a common fault, but not much in the way of fixes apart from new board and cpu.

I bought a bundle from Scan uk. The board came pre built and was meant to be tested. This included:

AMD FX 4100 black clocked to 4.4Ghz
ASUS M5A99x EVO mother board
Artic Cooling Freezer CPU fan
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM 2x4GB
Corsair 650W PSU
1GB XFX HD 6870

Also have 1TB seagate HDD and wireless adaptor.

I have emailed tech support and also took out installation insurance but would like some help if anyone knows what has gone wrong. I don't really want to wait many more weeks to receive new parts.

Let me know if Ive missed anything.

Cheers,

have you tried flashing the bios? there should be a bios flashing jumper, jumped 2-3 for no flash, but change to pins 1-2 momentarily to flash the bios, then set the pins back to 2-3... ((READ the manual to confirm location and pins; as it might b reverse))

Also, you can pull the battery on the motherboard, wait ten seconds, replace it.

You just get ONE red led?

have you tried flashing the bios? there should be a bios flashing jumper, jumped 2-3 for no flash, but change to pins 1-2 momentarily to flash the bios, then set the pins back to 2-3... ((READ the manual to confirm location and pins; as it might b reverse))

Also, you can pull the battery on the motherboard, wait ten seconds, replace it.

You just get ONE red led?
By "bios flashing jumper" you mean the CLRTC / Reset CMOS jumper, directly above the CHA FAN2 header don't you?

All I have done is take it out the box and put it together. I did my homework and more than sure everything is in the right place. How do I start it on normal clock??

Also would you advise earase the RTC RAM??

Thanks guys

can you take a picture? some new builders for get the POWER connection on the motherboard, without that I don't think the CPU gets enough voltage to boot. It sounds like the manufacture setup and overclocked the system and then mailed it to you? odd. I would suggest clearing the CMOS memory (RTC RAM) as this will reset everything to STOCK. Assuming RTC RAM is what your mobo manufacture calls the CMOS/BIOS

Yeah the board come with the cpu, cooler, ram all assembled. Pictures should be below. Removing the battery did not do anything.

Attachments

• IMG_0881.JPG
    IMG_0881.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 360
  • IMG_0882.JPG
    IMG_0882.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 329
doh.... mayb the CPU is pulling out of the socket? have you tried taking the cooler off and resetting the CPU then heatsink? did you find the CMOs/BIOS Reset? Is it possible that something is behind the PCB mobo shorting out the mobo?

You might have a bad CPU, but that would b odd for them to put it all together and "test" it.

CMOs/BIOS Reset didn't do anything. As it came pre built I don't want to touch the CPU, I can only be a bad chip or mobo. As I said I have installation insurence so will ask them to send me a new bundle. If I have time I may remove mobo to make sure there's nothing shorting it.

Not sure what else to do.

well you have like 3 pounds of heatsink pulling on the CPU; if it wasn't COMPLETELY packaged right, this easily could tug the CPU out enough to cause an issue. I've taken a CPU out with heatsink attacked, while the cpu lock down arm was DOWN. you should rule everything out, and checking/reseating the cpu/heatsink will take 5 minutes.

edit: yes, call the people... have their technician guide you through checking things.

well you have like 3 pounds of heatsink pulling on the CPU; if it wasn't COMPLETELY packaged right, this easily could tug the CPU out enough to cause an issue. I've taken a CPU out with heatsink attacked, while the cpu lock down arm was DOWN. you should rule everything out, and checking/reseating the cpu/heatsink will take 5 minutes.

edit: yes, call the people... have their technician guide you through checking things.

It wasn't packaged all that well! Nothing to support the heatsink and fan. I will take a look.

Cheers,

Back