• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Few questions from a 1st time w/c'er

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonnL

Alright I'm planning my new build which will include watercooling. As it's my first time I'm having a dilemma choosing which kit to purchase.

2 kits in question are:

XSPC Raystorm kit w/ RX360 Radiator $299.99
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=59_202_972&products_id=33549
or
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1..._Free_Kill_Coil_Hot_item.html?tl=g30c321s1310

or
XSPC Raystorm kit w/ EX360 Radiator $259.99
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=59_202_972&products_id=33590

Also there's a few fan choices:
Stock Fans that come with the kit
XSPC 120mm 1200RPM Fan
XSPC 120mm 1650RPM Fan
XSPC 120mm 2000RPM Fan
Yate Loon 120mm 1300 RPM Fan
Yate Loon 120mm 1650 RPM Fan
Yate Loon 120mm 2250 RPM Fan

Pump choices:
Alphacool VPP655
Swiftech MCP655-B
Swiftech MCP655 ($15.00) <-- equivilent to the Alphacool? Variable pump speeds?

The EX is a slimmer rad which means I would have to go with faster/louder fans for the same performance as the RX on a low RPM fan? But I'm not sure if that's worth the $40 savings? What do you guys think? My case is the Corsair 600t so do you think it's best to save the $40 and get the faster/louder fans and hook them up to the fan controller or spend the extra cash for the RX rad and get that extra room for cooling/ quietness?

I will be adding in a full coverage video card block as well into the loop.

Last question is 7/16" ID or 1/2" ID tubing? I've read that there's not much performance gain, if any between the two and that it's only a visual thing?

Thanks guys

You have that last part wrong. Thinner rads can accept lower speed fans and thicker dads require high speed fans:)

Read and reread all the sticky's at the top of this forum. I am telling you this because the next guys in line will tell you the same thing. If you read them good and dig in deep it will take you a few days to completely understand.

Last edited:
pretty straight forward. Either kit will do, you seem to already know the difference. What are you cooling? do you plan to add another radiator later?

I'd say the EX is fine, but if you have the space the RX will offer more cooling performance (at possibly the expense of noise.) If you're only planning one radiator but a cpu/2x gpu setup; then i'd suggest the thicker radiator. As for the pump, either will do; but word is the 35x is the pump u want (as it is strong and voltage controllable.) and that is also the answer to the fans, most likely the YL fans are undervolt capable, meaning if you got the "fastest" ones you could use a fan controller to slow then down to a not so noisy level. 7/16 vs 1/2; no difference; but the 1/2 will offer a tube OD 5/8 or 3/4, and the 7/16 usually only offers OD 5/8. i've read that with 1/2ID 3/4OD tube it can be a pain in the buttox to work with tight spaces and compression fittings.

and +1 @ Modz

Like Dtrunk said, the RX will cool a bit better WITH THE EXPENSE OF MORE NOISE. The RX is a rather low fpi rad and is going to need some medium CFM fans to cool it. Higher CFM mean MOAR noise:D

The MCP35x pump would be ideal but does not look to be one of your options. Yes the MCP655 base versus the Vario model is worth it. You have adjustable speed settings of 1-5 where the base is always on speed setting 4 and that is all you get.

Last edited:
You have that last part wrong. Thinner rads can accept lower speed fans and thicker dads require high speed fans:)

In this particular case your are completely backwards on that. The EX Series radiators use ~20FPI density and the RX is 8FPI even though its twice as thick it creates less aerodynamic drag across the heat exchanger.
http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1401&page=6 said:
xspc_ex360_temp2.jpg

Unless you need to save money, or have a space restriction get the RX its the better radiator.

I was referring to FPI btw. More dense the fins(thick) more high speed you need. I don't care about overall size because that has no affect on that. For instance the GTX 360 is just as 'big' but has 30fpi. :D

Like ssjwizard said, go with the RX360, most of the time you will want quiet fan speeds in 800-1000 rpms, and RX with low fpi will perform better on quiet speeds.

Most people use a rheostat, get 1600-1800 rpm fan speeds, and then for 24/7 run the fans at quiet speed 800-1000 rpms, then for benching/stability testing run them at max 1600-1800 rpms. 1200 rpms isnt quiet enough for 24/7 (for me anyways), and you will want more fan speed when stress testing, so again use a rheostat you will be happier.

Regarding tubing size, I agree with above comments and use thick 1/8 inch tubing, bends easier without kinking, less leak prone at fittings. Ie like 3/8 ID, 5/8 OD is 1/8 inch thick tubing, easy to work with, and temp difference cpu between 3/8 ID tubing and 1/2 ID tubing is 0.1 to 0.2C from Cathars testing in the stickies.

answer to the fans, most likely the YL fans are undervolt capable, meaning if you got the "fastest" ones you could use a fan controller to slow then down to a not so noisy level.

Hmm does this mean that the XSPC fans cannot be controlled with my fan controller on my Corsair 600t? I can't find anything about XSPC fans being undervolt capable and YL fans seem to be the more well known of the two so I guess I'll go with them.

Like ssjwizard said, go with the RX360, most of the time you will want quiet fan speeds in 800-1000 rpms, and RX with low fpi will perform better on quiet speeds.

Most people use a rheostat, get 1600-1800 rpm fan speeds, and then for 24/7 run the fans at quiet speed 800-1000 rpms, then for benching/stability testing run them at max 1600-1800 rpms. 1200 rpms isnt quiet enough for 24/7 (for me anyways), and you will want more fan speed when stress testing, so again use a rheostat you will be happier.

So I'll go with the RX360/YL 1650rpm combo hooked up to my case fan controller. Sound good?

Thanks again guys.

Should do quite well for you, even with a GPU in there.

On a different note though I run yate 2200RPM fans in my main rig and they can undervolt to about 1kRPM and are whisper quiet at those settings.

Back