• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY CNC machine!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
Ok so back in the wild wild west days of water cooling I used to hand machine water blocks, and so did many other people. After each block and each design I found myself as I'm sure many of you did wishing I could afford access to a CNC mill. I have built many DIY jigs and other simple tools in the past to bring new functionality to tools I already owned. I have considered designing/building one myself in the past but really just never had the time or a good enough excuse to do it. This

And then the sun rose over the hills of lightweight inexpensive computing power and the DIY CNC was born!

http://www.mydiycnc.com/complete_kit

Just add time, and a PC with a parallel port and away you go!

Funny you should say that, I just got my tracking number from NewEgg for my new board with a parallel port. Haven't actually seen one in years, odd to see it on a DDR3 machine!...

Yes, pirate.assassin, most "high end" boards or mid-range boards don't fashion a LPT port. But some lower end ones have RS232 and a LPT port.

For me, an internal RS232 is a big pro. Love to use that for Arduino projects and what not.

Radio Shack is expensive. At least, that's what they told me (I'm a Spaniard).

If you need to source components, Farnell, Digikey or Mouser is the way to go.

I just like it because it's right down the road. No waiting to get stuff when you need it.

I haven't gotten a mydiycnc yet, but plan on it for small crafts and home projects, and parts; what does everyone recommend is a good program for it?

Back