• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime95 and other test failures, CPU issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

edvardas.m

Registered
Hey,

I have built my new PC and started experiencing some issues. Firstly, here's the list of parts:

Power Supply - Streacom PicoPsu 150W + 150W Adapter Power Kit (12V, 12.5A)
Motherboard - Zotac H61-ITX-A-E (Wifi)
CPU - Intel Core i5 2405S (energy efficient to 65W, graphics Intel HD 3000)
Cooler - Scythe Kozuti 1000
RAM - GSkill 2x4GB
HDD SDD - SanDisk Ultra 60Gb
(for the sake of testing, I have set up the system outside the case)

I had no problems combining the parts and I have no problems accessing BIOS and running the machine outside windows (PC makes no sound on the start, although I heard that it should make a beep or something...). But once I boot into Windows 7, the PC start shutting down and rebooting randomly. It happens only when some heavy activity is performed such as opening multiple tabs in Chrome, watching a movie or other applications :confused: ... I have tried to identify the problem with various stress applications and here are the results:

RealTemp - the temperature of each core is around 30-35C, which I believe is normal and should not cause any problems.
Memtest86 (outside windows) - tested rams (one by one, together) show no errors in 15 tests.
Intel Burn Test - after 1-2 minutes in action, the PC reboots. The CPU usage at 100%, but the total watt usage is around 40Watt, which means that could not be the PSU issue. I am able to keep the PC running and boot into windows for hours, but not when activity is increased, so the PSU seems to be enough for my system.
Prime95 - once I try to test the Small FFTs, the system shuts down / reboots immediately, no BSOD, nothing, just a crash.

I have tried using the LIVE CD of Ubuntu, by removing the SSD, and the same problem persists - at some point in loading the PC reboots, meaning that there should be no problems with SSD. I also tried installing into HDD - same issues. Decided to stick to SSD for faster load and testing times.

The following are the H/W Monitoring results from BIOS:

Cpu Temperature 39C
System Fan Speed 4607 RPM
CPU Fan SPeed 1797 RPM
VCORE +1.064
VDIMM +1.552
VPCH +1.088
AVCC +3.328
3VCC +3.328
VSB3 +3.296
VBAT +3.136

Maybe I should adjust something in BIOS or return the CPU and ask for the new one? I would be very grateful if someone could help me identify the issue :)

PSU not sufficient under load.

Sometimes it turns off just when windows boots, sometimes it turns off after half an hour of web surfing (4-5 tabs open). Could it be that the PSU is just faulty? I don't have a graphics card, so the main consumption comes from CPU, which is up to 65Watt. I'm not experienced in this area and would be grateful if someone could explain me in more detail.

Maybe Watt meter would show me the necessary results?

I am not very experienced either, very much a noob myself. Do you have a different PSU you could use just to try and eliminate that being the fault?

Unfortunately, I don't have one. I will try to get one in the following days and test the system. In the meantime, I ran Large FFTs test (it would never ran before, the system would shut down immediately as well, but this time it seem to work for longer than 20 minutes). The temperatures of the CPU were constantly increasing from around 30 to 50, but I kept it running without opening anything else. The wattage was always below 40W, so now I'm really confused on what's wrong...

Can you get screen shots of HWMonitor and CPU-Z? Also have you tried to reseat all connections to make sure everything is snug?

I will, but I just noticed one strange thing. When I try to save the screenshot, or just press any save button on any application, the PC would just restart :eh?: could it be related to SSD issue after all? I will post the pics of cpuz and hw asap...

LIVE CD does not simply boot, I could only get to the Ubuntu loading screen and then it would reboot. With HDD, the PC would shut down the same way, but I did not try the Save function in any of the apps... I not sure how is that related to anything, but it seems really strange - does saving increases CPU consumption or increases Watt consumption? :eek:

Here are the screens from CPU-z and H/W:

capture1.JPG
capture2.JPG
DSCF0775.JPG

DSCF0776.JPG
DSCF0777.JPG
DSCF0778.JPG

DSCF0774.JPG

Sorry for the low quality of latter pics, but I was just too frustrating to make save pics from screens as the pc would just crash..

Did you ever try swapping ram?

I only have the recently bought DDR3 2x4GB from GSkill, and they are DIMM's, I've only got SoDIMM's lying around... But I tested them both with memtest and it showed no errors, but I believe it might not be enough to determine compatibility, right?

They seem ok to me as well, so maybe it's a faulty PSU? Would you happen to know the approximate usage of my setup?

Since I did not have an extra PSU, I have decided to visit a local diagnostics shop, where they hooked me up with a fully working PSU. The system ran smoothly with no quirks, the Small FFT's test would not crash. When Idle, the system would squeeze at most 30W and only ~65W when under heavy load, therefore my Streacom Pico PSU 150 + 150W adapter is probably faulty. Will try to get a refund on this one and get something from Mini-Box :thup: Thanks for the help guys!!!

Did you find out if your PSU was faulty?

I have similar problems (can't even boot properly) with my new PC, powered by the Streacom pico PSU. I have located the problem to the PSU, since the system works perfectly with a different, more powerful, PSU.

I'm now in doubt if the Streacom pico PSU doesn't deliver what it says, i.e. is faulty, or if I have underestimated the power requirements.

It would be interesting to hear what you solution you ended up with.

Yes, indeed, it was the faulty PSU. There is something wrong with that Streacom PSU... I have hooked up my motherboard to another more powerful PSU and also attached the wattmeter. As far as I recall, the system would not go above 50-60 watts under heavy load and so it worked perfectly. I have returned the PSU and order the one from minibox 150 + 120 watt adapter - so far so good, not a single glitch and all the tests were passed. Hope it helps!

I returned my Streacom picoPSU too. It must have been faulty, since the system now runs fine with a minibox 150W PSU together with an 80W adapter.
Because of the small physical size of the 80W adapter, it would actually be able to fit inside my Streacom F7C chassis. I might try that later.

Back