• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell - Unwanted pre-installed software refund?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
My current laptop is a bit uncomfortably sluggish with multiple projects open in IDEs, running a VM to test Windows compilations, multiple local compilations, etc., so I'm thinking about buying a new one. I'm looking at an XPS 15 from Dell, but it includes non-removable options - Office "Starter", a 15-month McAfee subscription, a 12-month IDsafe subscription, and a Windows license I don't need. Has anybody had any recent success with getting Dell to refund some $$ for all the crap?

I believe that you have to request the FreeDoS OS when making the purchase.

What about those subscriptions? I'm going to wipe the drive as soon as I get it to install Linux, anyway, so if it's at all possible to get a bit of a discount by doing so, my bank account would appreciate it :cool:

They'll charge you $100 less to go with freeDOS instead but you have to print sign and fax back a form stating that you will not be running a microsoft operating system and if you do you will purchase your own license. You have to set this up over the phone obviously.

Wow, this is actually very helpful for me. Glad I decided to browse the forums today! Thanks for the insight!

Installing that trial software doesn't cost them anything, so they won't give you any discount for not having it installed, plus it's all part of their default image so they can't remove it without manually doing so. Iirc, companies actually pay Dell to have them put their crap on there.

Installing that trial software doesn't cost them anything, so they won't give you any discount for not having it installed, plus it's all part of their default image so they can't remove it without manually doing so. Iirc, companies actually pay Dell to have them put their crap on there.

They gave me no option to refuse it on the order, so I do not know the price. I can only ask them to refund me the retail price. They already attempt to force you to accept the third-party licenses by requiring you to check a box and click accept before the pre-installed Windows will even start. Good thing I have a bunch of live CDs :p

Good to know about the OS discount. Many of us just wipe whatever crap image comes on a laptop so $100 ain't bad.

Good to know about the OS discount. Many of us just wipe whatever crap image comes on a laptop so $100 ain't bad.

I don't mind the OS so much as I mind the multi-year subscriptions to McAfee and TrustedID. The retail total for those is over $300.

Last edited:
I got the machine, and for anybody considering one, it seems very sturdy (time will tell for sure, though). The phone support said they would initiate a refund for the McAfee and IDsafe stuff, but not how much for. I mentioned the total retail price being over $300. If they do actually refund that much, they'll have a repeat customer. Around $900 for a 1080p Blu-ray 8GB quad-core hyperthreaded virtualizable 15.6" laptop is a pretty good deal, IMHO.

This is how computers are able to be as cheap as they are.
That makes no sense. If the cost is added onto the machine, then it's not "as cheap as they are", and if it isn't, that means either Dell or the software vendor is losing money, not making it, which would be plain stupid.

I mean with regards to the trialware/bloatware found in many computers, especially the really cheap specials stores have. I am guessing the software vendors pay good money to have it included.

I got the machine, and for anybody considering one, it seems very sturdy (time will tell for sure, though). The phone support said they would initiate a refund for the McAfee and IDsafe stuff, but not how much for. I mentioned the total retail price being over $300. If they do actually refund that much, they'll have a repeat customer. Around $900 for a 1080p Blu-ray 8GB quad-core hyperthreaded virtualizable 15.6" laptop is a pretty good deal, IMHO.

That makes no sense. If the cost is added onto the machine, then it's not "as cheap as they are", and if it isn't, that means either Dell or the software vendor is losing money, not making it, which would be plain stupid.

That type of software is a fixed cost man, it's not costing Dell or the software manufacture anything. In fact, those 3rd parties that have their 3 year trials and crap thrown on the machine are actually paying Dell to have their stuff on there.

I never knew about this and I just got a new Acer, turned it on, opened DVD up, shut off, turned back on and installed my own copy of Windows. Oh well, To late now.. But for next time

Back