• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual GPU/Card or Single?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I'm going to build a new rig. Mine is ancient.

I played both FPS's (Battlefield 2/Far Cry as examples) and RTS, like SimCity, Sins of a Solar Empire, and Command & Conquer, Shogun Total War type RTS's too.

Should I go with a multi GPU card? Do I need to?
Should I go with a dual video card? Do I need to?

I'm unsure if I will go w/Intel or AMD, but either way, it will be a fast stock speed.
The mobo, I tend to lean towards Asus, but there are other good makers out there too.

I'm wondering what direction I should go in, so much has changed since I built mine.

Thanks in advance.

i would go with a single card set up . less heat . less power . less driver pains . but thats just me . im still rockin my 9800xt in my 2.8 p4 . no real need for duel cards unless your going for 3 screens .

Single card is recommended and will be just fine unless you are running a huge resolution and or multiple monitor surround gaming

We need a little more info: Resolution? Surround or Eyefinity? 3D?

Resolution: Over 1280x1024 would be nice depending upon cost. If I could hit 1900 or maybe over 2000 I'd be psyched with full effects on like anti-aliasing, shading etc. However, that may be unrealistic due to price perhaps, I haven't researched enough yet to know that.

Basically I try to get the best resolution I can afford. I haven't decided on final cost for a vid card yet.

I won't be doing 3-dimensional displays.

As for Eyefinity, it's interesting, but IF I get a flat panel, it would be pretty big (to me that is), maybe 24". I'd rather have one giant screen, than many side by side. I don't like the plastic case from each screen in my visual field. In screen shots on the web, I think it would be distracting to me. I had 2 side by side and the case is annoying to me. If only there was a single GIANT screen. I admit Eyefinity would be cool to use to get peripheral vision in an FPS w/a 3x1 setup.

To save money I may stay with my 21" flat glass CRT. It weighs a ton, but the resolution is gorgeous, and there's nothing wrong w/it.

Single card is recommended and will be just fine unless you are running a huge resolution

How large a resolution is large for gaming purposes? And what type of video card would support or rather exceed what most consider large?

How large a resolution is large for gaming purposes? And what type of video card would support or rather exceed what most consider large?

2560x1600 is the start of large resolutions in my opinion. 1920X1080 is fine with a single card under most circumstances

1920*1080 and a single video card is the best bang for the buck setup at the moment with the least hassles.

2560x1600 is the start of large resolutions in my opinion.

If I wanted to go up to 2560x1600, what would I need? Dual video cards, or single card w/multiple GPUs? Second, what do good, large monitors which that resolution cost?

For work/surfing the net, I keep my resolution at 1280x1024, but this is w/older tech, maybe w/newer tech I'd move my work resolution up a bit if the icons/text weren't TOO small.

Dual video cards and a single with multiple GPU's are the same thing.

Good monitors like that cost around $700+.

You can also adjust icon/text size if you go that big.

Dual video cards and a single with multiple GPU's are the same thing.

Good monitors like that cost around $700+.

You can also adjust icon/text size if you go that big.

Good point on the text/icon size.

RE: vid card...that's the same thing oh I see, makes sense. Is a multi core GPU card basically 2 cards sandwiched together, taking up two slots? Or does it fit into one PCIe slot? Is PCIe still the standard, or is it going to be replaced soon?

If it's the same things, what's the advantage, if any, to getting 2 cards, versus a single card w/multiple cores?

I may not get a monitor that big then, or maybe use my current monitor until I can afford to get a larger one.

In the past, there were literally dual PCB (cards) sandwhiched together. However these days, its 2 cores on one PCB. There isnt a difference really performance wise if the clockspeeds matched. Its stil SLI/Crossfire on a card. There are no advantages outside of saving space in SFF cases.

PCIe is still the standard.

In the past, there were literally dual PCB (cards) sandwhiched together. However these days, its 2 cores on one PCB. There isnt a difference really performance wise if the clockspeeds matched. Its stil SLI/Crossfire on a card. There are no advantages outside of saving space in SFF cases.

PCIe is still the standard.

Yeah I remember the sandwiched cards..they were huge. Thanks for the helpful information. I'm glad the architecture has switched.

Is performance still the same, that is every production cycle it switches from nVidia to AMD (formerly ATI) being the fastest? I remember not long ago, nVidia was on top for almost a year I THINK. I've owned both, I'm not trying to stir up some nVidia vs AMD war online. I just want the best w/in my price range. I think my total build price is $2000-$2500. Not sure how fast a system that will get me w/out OCing.

Currently Nvidia cards, at least their high end which is the only thing out, rules the roost (GTX680 vs HD7970).

That will get you a hell of a system with that budget.

The price/performance changes back and forth at different price points. nVidia held the title with the GTX580 for over a year and at the release of the ATI 7970 it took the lead. The new GTX680 trades blows with the 7970s depending on the game/resolution/situation. Then again those are $500+ cards.

Currently Nvidia cards, at least their high end which is the only thing out, rules the roost (GTX680 vs HD7970).

That will get you a hell of a system with that budget.

Hmm..could I build a great system for only $1500-1750? It seems prices have come down since I built my last one! That's great. All I know is that vid card offerrings MUSHROOMED, and the prices exploded. A top one used to cost 300, but now I hear you can spend as much as 600. I don't believe more money means better parts necessarily, I'm not one of those people.

I try to build the fastest stock rig (little OCing) for the least. Maybe my budget is too high.

The price/performance changes back and forth at different price points. nVidia held the title with the GTX580 for over a year and at the release of the ATI 7970 it took the lead. The new GTX680 trades blows with the 7970s depending on the game/resolution/situation. Then again those are $500+ cards.

That part bothers me, that sometimes performance depends on the specific game you play. I had a hard time picking out my current card, this time is going to be even harder, as there are many more options.

I need a price/performance table for the vid cards, before I buy. Sometimes getting the faster card isn't always worth the money when you can OC the card just below it in the product line up.

Dont forget, you can also overclock the card above it. My advice, regardless is get the best card you can/want to afford.

Dont forget, you can also overclock the card above it. My advice, regardless is get the best card you can/want to afford.

I agree on both. I read another board a few moments ago, and different people were complaining about both companies drivers for each of the cards you recommended. It never fails, there's always some people who say "this is borked because of..." and someone else repeats the same thing but w/the other company. So confusing at times :shrug:

My first card was nVidia, and l loved it, then the Radeon I have now, loved it too. Games were not as complex, but everything is relative.

I want fast, powerful card w/flexibility (if I want to OC, multiple monitors, or 1 large one).

So I'm not confused, does a single, multiple GPU card allow for SLI/Crossfire? Or do you need 2 cards?? I don't know if I would use either comp's technology, but if I wanted that option, it would be nice to know.

Back