• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP ProLiant MicroServer N40L OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matejrexo

Hi guys :welcome: . I have quoted this post from Tom's Hardware, because no one has helped me there, so I really hope I'll get some better support on this forum :)
Recently I got the HP ProLiant Microserver which I currently use as a workstation. I'm just wondering if the are any possibilities to slightly overclock this machine (I know it's got a passive CPU cooler, but I still want to do it). I have already flashed it with an unlocked BIOS from BIOS-MODS.com, but even in that new BIOS I can't see any OC options (you can grab the rom file from here). Also, it would be nice to be able to control it's fan speed manually (I can see the current RPM in BIOS but can't change it). Here are the full spec (I added to it an aftermarket GPU AMD Radeon HD 6450 512 MB GDDR5). . Thanks in advance :) .
EDIT: I have to mention that I've already tried Clockgen and SetFSB: CG even didn't load properly (no options - yes, I ran it with administrative rights) and SetFSB (only version 2.3x which is a shareware) read the FSB, but because it is a shareware, I wasn't able to actually set the FSB speed.

Last edited:
If you dont have the options to overclock in the bios, and you are certain you have the correct PLL for the board and SetFSB/Clockgen do not work. I think you are out of luck Im afraid...

If you dont have the options to overclock in the bios, and you are certain you have the correct PLL for the board and SetFSB/Clockgen do not work. I think you are out of luck Im afraid...
Thank you for your reply. However, I didn't say that SetFSB isn't capable of setting it, but it's a paid app (the free version 2.2x doesn't work - chipset error) - I would like to ask if you can suggest me any alternatives - the best would be tools released in 2010 or later, because the old ones (like CG) don't work... It's still a relatively new chipset though.

There are no alternatives I know of outside of procuring proper hardware (and cooling) suited for the job. Passive cooling leaves VERY little headroom for temps in most cases.

Good Luck! :)

There are no alternatives I know of outside of procuring proper hardware (and cooling) suited for the job. Passive cooling leaves VERY little headroom for temps in most cases.

Good Luck! :)
So I'll probably have to either buy SetFSB, which could potentially do the job, or wait until some other (SW) method surfaces :D
Thanks for your time and help.

I wouldnt bet on more software coming out like this, otherwise, yeah, buy it or get hardware made for it. ;)

I also recently purchased a microserver n40L and wanted to add 16 gb ram.

Issue was and is for some, sometimes the 16 gb memory is picked up by bios, sometimes all you get is 8 gb

Please see this blog post for successfully having done this, but it wasn't easy.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4603-16-gb-ram-for-n36l-vs-n40l/page__st__20

A suggestion was made advising that the reason some are having an issue with the memory sometimes being picked up by bios and sometimes not is this:

I would set the system back to defaults, then boost the voltage to the RAM and/or change the RAM timings, then increase the clock rate again and try another boot. It was a processof trial and error.

the northridge part of the bios has clock speed settings, all set to Auto, question is, what needs to change to: "boost the voltage" to the RAM or change the RAM timing.

Back