• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First gaming rig. Help with cooling. NZXT Phantom 410

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Don

Hello everyone, I am building my first PC rig.

I'm currently doing research and found out everything I need to know, except for cooling.
This is indeed a hard subject to perfect.

That's why I'm here and asking your expert opinion on my airflow setup:

NZXT_Phantom_built.jpg

The H100 will have push/pull with 4 fans total (2 stock case fans + 2 H100 fans)

All fans are stock fans, except the rear exhaust, which will be 120mm Noctua NF-P14.

Is this good?

Yea. SHould be just fine. As long as there is good air flow coming into your case. DO you have all the fans that can be installed, installed?
The H100 stock fans that come with it, can run t 2500RPM. Does the two stock(case fans) run at the same speed? If not it might want to get some high RMP fans to match the corsair ones.

my corsair H100 exhausts UP. (out of the box)

as heat dissipates better in that direction.
unless you have an AirCon right above it, and drafting in the cold air will help..

otherwise, add another intake in the front.
You can try the VIPER 140 fan, which is 110CFM

or if there's enough place, use 2 x 120mm Kaze jyuni (100+ CFM each!)

as my computer is placed under my desk, I had no benefit drafting air from top of the chassis, so I kept it as an exhaust, and it is working great.

Yea. SHould be just fine. As long as there is good air flow coming into your case. DO you have all the fans that can be installed, installed?
The H100 stock fans that come with it, can run t 2500RPM. Does the two stock(case fans) run at the same speed? If not it might want to get some high RMP fans to match the corsair ones.

No, just found out that the stock ones are at 1200 RPM. Does it HAVE to match rpm with the corsair ones for the push/pull to be effective?
I've heard that the strong ones can push with hi Static pressure, while weak ones can pull. Is there any truth to it?

I might just go for the H80 as rear exhaust and two Noctuas on top.

I want a silent rig, I hate loud fans. (xbox 360)

Last edited:
for FANS.

on the H100, you want the CFM to be roughly equal (same best)
if the different is too large, the front fans can overheat the back fans.
and you won't be getting the best out of it.

I bought 4 fans, Kaze Jyuni just because of that.

but my fans are loud, you probably want Gentle Typhoon. :)

if your stock fans runs at 1200 , you can leave the H100 stock fans on the lowest setting and it should be fine. My two stock case fans runs at 2000RPM and corsair runs at 2500 and all is fine.. so it can have alittle difference. As long as there is close air flow from the fans. NZXT is a decent company. So i think you should be fine and it should be silent.

for FANS.

on the H100, you want the CFM to be roughly equal (same best)
if the different is too large, the front fans can overheat the back fans.
and you won't be getting the best out of it.

I bought 4 fans, Kaze Jyuni just because of that.

but my fans are loud, you probably want Gentle Typhoon. :)

I was actually thinking 4 Typhoons, but I think I am gonna follow Evil Jokers advice and opt for the low setting on the H100 fans. Cheaper. :bday:

Also, I'm gonna seal the side hole, because it might disturb the airflow.
Smart or not so smart?

Also, I'm gonna seal the side hole, because it might disturb the airflow.
Smart or not so smart?

depends on the overall flow!!!!

the side holes actually help to manage if the net flow is too positive or negative.
if the inside pressure is too large, then your fans will begin to suck in less !!

I say EXPERIMENT.
run Prime95 on 2 threads with small FFT. (just for temp reading) for 30 mins, record max.
... let it cool for 20 mins.
run again with side holes blocked. record max.

compare. WIN !:attn:

depends on the overall flow!!!!

the side holes actually help to manage if the net flow is too positive or negative.
if the inside pressure is too large, then your fans will begin to suck in less !!

I say EXPERIMENT.
run Prime95 on 2 threads with small FFT. (just for temp reading) for 30 mins, record max.
... let it cool for 20 mins.
run again with side holes blocked. record max.

compare. WIN !:attn:

Thank you! I will do just that.... in May! :p

As I said, I am currently just planning the whole shabang.

Great help, people.
Appreciate it immensly.
Thank you very much!

You will hear from me as soon as more theoretical problems arrive before assembly day. :fight:

I would get a higher cfm exhaust fan to semi match the inlet fans. I Your picture show your PSU as a fan but PSU suck from the bottom then out so wont do anything for your air flow in your case. Or did I miss the pic of the fan next too the PSU.

Also take into fact that your Vcard will be sucking air out of your case as well.

What bluezero said run your burn program for a little while and see what works best.

Plugging holes most the time is not a good thing.

and I just did an experiment for you.
I tried my H100 as Intake which I usually has as exhaust....

results.
with Corsair h100 as intake, CPU temp is avg 5'c higher, and my PCH went up to 40'c cause of the heat building up inside the chassis. I immediately made it back into an Exhaust.

Ur experience may vary. :)
but if your computer is to be placed under a table... then my sample has some striking resemblence.. and might be worth it as a comparison. :)

GOOD LUCK BRO !!!!

I would say that might just be the way your case is. But yes you will need to try many things to see what works best. I stepped out side the box, my 3x120mm rad is blowing in. But case cooling really takes time to get it right.

On another note God I love white cases. Yet I don't own one lol.

results.
with Corsair h100 as intake, CPU temp is avg 5'c higher, and my PCH went up to 40'c cause of the heat building up inside the chassis. I immediately made it back into an Exhaust.

but if your computer is to be placed under a table... then my sample has some striking resemblence.. and might be worth it as a comparison. :)

GOOD LUCK BRO !!!!

My computer will be out in the open.
And I will make it an exhaust then. :)

Thanks for trying it out, bro.

results.

GOOD LUCK BRO !!!!

Umm... did you reverse the flow of the rest of your fans to compensate for the H100 as intake?

Personally I'd just run the H100 as exhaust. If your system has decent airflow it'll make very little difference whether set up as intake or exhaust.

Umm... did you reverse the flow of the rest of your fans to compensate for the H100 as intake?

yes of course.
reversing all the fans takes 30 mins each time.
regardless how you think of it.. when my computer has 50% load + the temps goes to 60'C+ towards 85'C, and blowing that kind of air onto my GPU CANNOT be good. when I reverse my fans again.. my 7970 was HOT, and I didn't even play anything that's graphically demanding. My PCH went up through the roof too..

since the airflow in the front is just as cool, I actually now see no logical reason to let such hot air recycle into my chassis.. If i must try another config, I might try to mount it on the side and exhausting out...

but never as intake again.. the results.. spoke for itself.

Your experience may vary. :)

No, your experience is the same as mine with a H100. Use it as an exhaust, until it dies anyway.

Back