• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me spot the bent pin! (Asus p67)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thekillerlama

Ok, first off the problem is obviously with the motherboard as the cpu led lights up red and I have checked all the other components with another motherboard.
The technician at the local shop claimed that one of the pins was bent, but i can't seem to locate the pin.

027.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
we would defiantly need a larger image to be able to see a bent pin im on a 46" screen and wouldn't be able to see it=( only thing that looks even slightly off for me is about 1/3 of the way up on the left but its probably just the lighting. i would find a straight edge like a quality ruler and hold it just above the pins in each row moving one row over at a time and see if any pins dont line up,just dont bump the ruler into any pins you dont want to bend anymore.and if its a new board i would make sure the bios have been updated to support the cpu your installing if everything is updated and there is actually a bent pin i would just RMA it

The image is over 3K pixels wide guys... Just right click on it and select "Open in new window"...

This one? Doesn't look too out of place, but it is the only one I found to have a different "shine" of the flash on it and that means it's at a different angle than the rest.

Untitled.jpg

yea i dont see anything wrong with it ether i would RMA it or return it if it was a local store.

The image is over 3K pixels wide guys... Just right click on it and select "Open in new window"...

This one? Doesn't look too out of place, but it is the only one I found to have a different "shine" of the flash on it and that means it's at a different angle than the rest.

View attachment 108640

that's the only one i noticed as well.

Also these are hard to bend back without breaking its not like the old days with a mechanical pencil tip. i fixed one awhile back and told my co workers never to take the cpu out cuz it was flimzy lol we put a sticker in the case so we would know.

Same, thats the one I noticed as well. I also editted the first post and inserted the image inline, so that it could be enlarged easily.

3rd row from the bottom, far left looks like a pin that has been bent and possibly straightened. It is the only pin that stands out. Looks like it is about lined up where it should be though.

Thanks guys! I agree that pin seems kinda different from the others, not by much though. I may as well try to bend it back, its not like I have anything to loose right :p
Sorry the late response, i am kinda sick at the moment.

Also take a look at the 1st/2nd rows right under the plastic piece down the middle of the left side.

Two pins there look a little off.

Id like a side shot so you can judge height as they all look lined up to me after clicking on the picture...again. Boy, where is Dejo's wife's cosmetic magnifying glass thing when you need it? :p

From that angle it definitely looks Bent. I would venture to guess that if your problem is from a bent pin then that pin is the problem.

definitely something on that corner is off. if it strait left to right lift it up it should in theory go in place when the cpu is pressing down on it.

Here's a more moderately sized version of that newer pic, and its clear that pin we initially indicated is partially mangled in it. If the pin can be put closer to "in place", its possible it will work again.

You want to be careful about bending it back - just as easy to make the problem worse as it is to make it better. Could damage nearby pins, or bending it back that pin could be brittle and break off. Doesn't hurt to try though I don't imagine, unless you can RMA the board currently.

DSC_0057.JPG

With a careful hand, I have repaired a similarly damaged pin before.

Imog: Glad to hear its still hope for the motherboard! I will hopefully get to fixing this weekend :D Thanks to everyone else who pitched in too! :)

did you already try to rma this and they rejected it? this board looks like a asus board

Back