• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got my new cooler, unstable nonetheless.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

akatsui

Registered
So hey, I got some really good help earlier with OCing my CPU using my stock cooler and got it stable with viable temps at 3,7GHz with a Vcore of 1.3875.

Now, I got my new cooler installed and temps have dropped immensely, so yay for that!
But now, my aim is to improve the OC even more.
Whenever I went higher than 3,7Ghz, even with higher voltages, my system got unstable really quick.
My brother told me to downclock my RAM back to 1333MHz, which I did, but it still crashed.

So, back to my old working settings, currently in my signature.

Can anyone tell me what to do next?

Here's a picture of the current settings in my BIOS.
http://www.imagebam.com/image/303702185416688

Why are you trying to overclock to 3.7ghz? The 6100 turbos 3 cores to 3.9ghz when it needs the extra juice. If you're going for something, you might want to consider 4.0ghz, instead of just 3.7 ghz.

Do you want all of your cores on one speed or...?

your voltages look fine for what you're trying to do. Turn off the turbo core for starters. Also did you turn off all of your "green settings" in the bios?

Now for the stupid question but I feel I must ask it......does your PC run just fine at stock?

Have a look at the Bulldozer overclocking guide in my signature for starters. Throwing darts and praying it lands in the right area just doesnt work with overclocking. ;)

It's stable at 3,9GHz now with 1,4Vcore.
I want it to be at 4GHz+, but it simply gets really unstable, no matter the Vcore, and the temps stay at around 40 degrees at 3,9GHz.

My FSB and NB clocks are untouched, if you need any specific information tell me so I can screen it.

Also, yes, my PC runs fine at stock, but I also use Dolphin, a Gamecube emulator which requires an immense amount of processing power.
So to properly emulate with the LLE audio plugin, I figured 3,7Ghz would be enough, but at some magic intensive points, it slows down inevitably, so I need a tad higher even.

I actually got that post on my phone when OCing, for some reason, it's stable now at 3,9GHz so far, whenever I increase to 4GHz+ my system gets really bad.

Akatsui, could you run a 3.9ghz 20 minute blend test and post pictures of CPUZ, Hardware Monitor and the prime test passing? I'd like to see what your system looks like at that state so we can try to figure out why your CPU might be randomly freezing when it hits 4.0.

Akatsui, could you run a 3.9ghz 20 minute blend test and post pictures of CPUZ, Hardware Monitor and the prime test passing? I'd like to see what your system looks like at that state so we can try to figure out why your CPU might be randomly freezing when it hits 4.0.

Well, at the hand of the overclocking thread I got linked to, I'll try and copy his OC and get it stable at 4,5GHz.
If it fails, I will do as you said! :)

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Hexa-Core 3,3GHz Stock - 3,9GHz Overclocked
Vcore: 1,3875
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz XMP enabled
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB
Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3
Case: CoolerMaster 690 2 Advanced w/ USB 3
Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo rev. 2
PSU: 550watt HKC PSU

Stable, temps do not get higher than 45c per core.
Temps.png

EDIT: I stressed it with Linpack for 10 minutes.
As I've been reading up on the forums I read than Linpack is a stronger and more accurate program than Prime95, also faster, I do not know how it accounts for longer terms though.

Last edited:
Looks like you may have a little room from a temperature standpoint to add more vcore to help stabilize the system.

What about that 550W HKC PSU? Never heard of that brand. Is it trusworthy and is it actually putting out the advertised wattage of 550W?

What we need from you now are pics of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD" to check your other bios settings.

Looks like you may have a little room from a temperature standpoint to add more vcore to help stabilize the system.

What about that 550W HKC PSU? Never heard of that brand. Is it trusworthy and is it actually putting out the advertised wattage of 550W?

It's a fairly unpopular and unknown brand, but it does it's work properly.
It's a good stable PSU and I've had no problems with it so far, also, I was a bit short on budget so I couldn't go for a 80plus gold CM Modular 550w. :p
I know this raises suspicion but it's a proper piece of hardware. :)

Also, some other overclocks have drastically lower vcore's than I have set right now, while the frequency is set higher, sometimes even with minor HTT OC's.

Do what trents said and bump that CPUNB voltage up to 1.25. I would be willing to guess that if you wanted to try 4ghz I'd set the vcore at 1.41 or 1.42 and see if that doesn't get you there.

Try bumping the CPUNB voltage to 1.225. Leave the frequency alone and do not change the HT Line frequency or voltage. Leave the HT Reference at the stock 200 and overclock with the CPU multiplier.

Try bumping the CPUNB voltage to 1.225. Leave the frequency alone and do not change the HT Line frequency or voltage. Leave the HT Reference at the stock 200 and overclock with the CPU multiplier.

I've done this and my PC booted into Windows just now with a Multiplier of 20x.
Thus resulting in 4GHz.
How should I continue to increase the Multiplier and voltages?
Every .5x 1 step in the CPUNB upwards?

I've done this and my PC booted into Windows just now with a Multiplier of 20x.
Thus resulting in 4GHz.
How should I continue to increase the Multiplier and voltages?
Every .5x 1 step in the CPUNB upwards?

I'd start with a 20 minute prime95 blend test to see if your 4ghz is stable for at least that long before trying to go any higher.

**EDIT**

No need to increase the cpunb voltage anymore. Only increase it if you are going to up your NB Frequency.

Last edited:
Back