Intel Motherboards
Forum Jump

Gigabyte M.I.T. (BIOS overclocking) not working anymore

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 04-25-12, 12:24 AM Thread Starter   #1
microfire

10 Year Badge

Gigabyte M.I.T. (BIOS overclocking) not working anymore

Strange thing happened, after running what I could call stable for a very long time without issues. My computer suddenly BSOD and rebooted, I had noticed that all overclocked setting had defaulted to stock.

No problem, just re-enable them, yeah?, well thats not the case. If I go in to my motherboard BIOS (Gigabyte X48-DS5) and then in to the M.I.T. area to make changes, if I just enable overclocking without changing a single item, the computer POST then switches off, everything is back to default in that area.

I cannot even change the strap, even if I do not enable changing the host clock.

The only way to overclock back to my good old 3400 MHz CPU clock and 1600 MHz FSB, is to use a software overclock using Easy Tune 6 slider under the tuner tab, this one setting is all I have now

My trusty aged Q9550 E0 and X48, still has 4 cores and performs well by todays standards, I am not ready to move just yet, does what I need.

I have looked around the internet for answers, I see this is not uncommon problem, and affects other gigabyte motherboards with different chipsets. Only problem is I still cannot find an answer to fix this?

Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 05-04-12, 01:23 AM Thread Starter   #2
microfire

10 Year Badge

Bump.

Loyal Overclockers I haven't been here for sometime, help.

Old 05-04-12, 01:56 AM   #3
c00l3st

have you tried shorting the cmos reset pin of your mobo ? do you have a backup file of your working bios ? have you changed the bios battery ? you said its a long time. maybe its time to change the bios battery,

Gpu: Gigabyte 7950 WF3
Ram: 4GBx2 Corsiar Vengaence Red
SSD/HDD: 120Gb Kingston HyperX 3k , 1Tb Seagate
PSU: Corsair Tx 750w v2
Monitor: 39" Samsung S5
Audio: Creative As520 5.1 / Razer Kraken
Phereps :Razer Black Widow, Razer Naga Molten, Razer Goliathus , Razer Onza

Folding User Stats
c00l3st is offline Author Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-04-12, 06:23 PM   #4
muddocktor
Retired

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00l3st View Post
have you tried shorting the cmos reset pin of your mobo ? do you have a backup file of your working bios ? have you changed the bios battery ? you said its a long time. maybe its time to change the bios battery,
All good ideas there. And I had a cheaper Gigabyte 775 board did much the same thing where I couldn't set any fsb manually in bios. I ended up taking the cmos battery out and shorting the cmos jumper for 3-4 hours, then installing the battery back in the socket on the board and it started working normally.
muddocktor is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-05-12, 04:27 AM   #5
c00l3st

muddocktor = my mentor " lol " remember the first post ive had here ? you wingman69 and some guys helped me.

Gpu: Gigabyte 7950 WF3
Ram: 4GBx2 Corsiar Vengaence Red
SSD/HDD: 120Gb Kingston HyperX 3k , 1Tb Seagate
PSU: Corsair Tx 750w v2
Monitor: 39" Samsung S5
Audio: Creative As520 5.1 / Razer Kraken
Phereps :Razer Black Widow, Razer Naga Molten, Razer Goliathus , Razer Onza

Folding User Stats
c00l3st is offline Author Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-09-12, 10:46 PM Thread Starter   #6
microfire

10 Year Badge

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried backing up my current BIOS flashing to an earlier BIOS, resetting the CMOS. All of which did not work.

However I have found the issue. Weird one it is too. One of my two external USB drives (which I have had for years), I notice the LED flashing while the motherboard took an unusally long time to POST. I pulled both the drivers out of the USB, and the M.I.T. overclocking started working like it was new. POST was real quick too.

Just goes to show, not only on this board by other gigabyte board where the overclock feature stops working, look out for what is attached to your computer

Old 05-09-12, 11:03 PM   #7
ssjwizard
Has slightly less legible writing
than Thideras, Member

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by microfire View Post
Just goes to show, not only on this board by other gigabyte board where the overclock feature stops working, look out for what is attached to your computer
This applies to any motherboard. I had a whole spree of fail to posts on an Asus board with because of a usb device was attached at boot time. I have also seen this on systems running stock speeds.

So your looking for an AMD FX motherboard, things you need to know. Whats the max safe temps/volts for an FX?

Green Gorilla, CM 690-II nVidia, FX 8320, GTX 670, liquid cooled
Liquid Fusion, CM 690-II, A8+6670 Dual GFX, liquid cooled
Extreme evaporative water loop 450mm^3 water cooled beast - Incomplete
ssjwizard is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > Intel Motherboards
Intel Motherboards