• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x240gb ssd in raid 0, or 1x512gb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sgtstaine

hi overclockers,

i'm about to start my first build, and could use some advice on a SSD. I am stuck whether as to go with 2 240GB corsair force 3 SSD's, or one 512GB Crucial M4 SSD. I am using this as my main drive for the OS, so if I use two smaller drives I will combine them with RAID 0. which combination will give me better performance? I know that RAID 0 halves reliability, but these are still SSD's so i'm ahead of the game anyway than if i were to use a HDD. (i am using an HDD as backup/storage)

the crucial M4 is about $130 more expensive. if i get the two SSD's i will put the extra cash into a better monitor, which i am inclined to do atm.

i will be using this build for gaming, multitasking and programming (Pthon). the rest of the build is an i7 3770k CPU (when released), an ASUS P8Z77-V mobo, a nvidia GTX 680 GPU, 16GB corsair vengence RAM (1866Mhz) and a H60 corsair cooler.

also, on this system what will the bottleneck be? any other comments on those parts?

thanks

Hands down 1 512GB. Unless you work with large files a lot, R0 isnt worth the chance of the array crapping out (much less a drive).

No other comments. Looks solid to me (though you didnt mention a PSU).

thanks for the speedy reply. for the psu i'm using a corsair enthusiast series 750W.

Depends on what you're gonna use em for. If you need tons of bandiwdth the RAID 0 might be a good choice. But if it's not too important then stick with the single 512. Your seek/access times are gonna be insanely low, so unless you're working with very large, sequential files get the single drive as its simpler and more reliable.

Back