• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

want to buy a new Intel system, $700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Z Overlord

Registered
I am currently on a x58 system, I'd like to upgrade to something newer.

I had allot of trouble with overclock stability on x58, and I felt my gigabyte mobo was crap and nobody here seemed to like it (x58a-ud3r).

I will be gaming on it. My main concern is allot of people often reccomend something they themselves wouldn't use, and it turns out way crappier than they thought it'd be (for a friend people suggested this motherboard that turned out to be infamous for frying when overclocked)

Im actually in the process of building an intel 600-700 dollar system heres the parts list
Asrock Z77 Pro4
Radeon 6870
G Skill Sniper 8 Gb
Probably get any hard drive you prefer depending on how much space you really use
NZXT phantom 410
Corsair Series 650 W professional series

Things can be changed for your liking such as downgrading care to a simpler one and getting a better GPU and so forth
that build alone comes to about 720

Well I have a GPU and case and such, I just want to switch my mobo, cpu, and ram.

700 budget for those parts? Geez you could get some pretty beast parts with that, but since I don't have much expericance with higher end components I suggest you wait for someone else to help you out on this.

You are better off waiting till Ivy Bridge releases, the best you can get now is SB-e which will be outdated soon once IB becomes available.

I assume you are running a i7-9xx? If so you are better off waiting till IB shows what it has to offer(they will be available at the end of the month).

Hokie's review of IB

You are better off waiting till Ivy Bridge releases, the best you can get now is SB-e which will be outdated soon once IB becomes available.

I assume you are running a i7-9xx? If so you are better off waiting till IB shows what it has to offer(they will be available at the end of the month).

Hokie's review of IB

Really? Judging by the amount of butthurt and raging at OCN I thought Ivy bridge sucked.

Right? Seems like there are too many problems, and I thought 2500k could over clock with more stability?

Really? Judging by the amount of butthurt and raging at OCN I thought Ivy bridge sucked.

lol I think the issue is that you are reading OCN...Like I said wait for the retail releases, they will have FAR less issues compared to the review batches.

IB is an excellent upgrade to SB much better than the cash-in of SB-E.

Hokie's review which I linked is a great un-biased review which outlines the weaknesses and strengths.

For OP IB is the better upgrade, but for someone running SB they are probably better off waiting it out. TBH it depends on your use.

If your budget included up to $700 for CPU, MOBO, and RAM I would run one of these CPU/MOBO combos and add whatever brand ddr3 1866 in 2x4GB or 4x(2 or 4)GB in the case of the X79

trippleIntelCombos.jpg

Hokie's review which I linked is a great un-biased review which outlines the weaknesses and strengths.

For OP IB is the better upgrade, but for someone running SB they are probably better off waiting it out. TBH it depends on your use.

Reading the review, they sure don't sound too good, it seems like you can't OC it unless you got a triple radiator water cooling setup.

I sorta wanted to use one of those Corsair all in one CPU water cooling things. I heavily doubt that will be enough for IB.

Check Judging by that reviewer's wording it seems like his CPU is going tobe unstable in the long run.

You are correct you need extreme cooling for Ivy bridge.:cool::popcorn:

I have not seen a review that they used air.

Back