• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking phenom x3 8750 NEWBIE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zadawn

Registered
Hello everybody!

Today i decided that i want to OC my CPU and while searching for help i stumbled upon this great site which i believe will give me the right information to be able to succesfully OC my CPU.

Aside from the articles and threads i read up today i am completely new to OC-ing and this is why i need your help people.

As the title says i have a phenom x3 8750 working at 2.4ghz and i would like to have it work at about 2700 or more if possible.

I will post below my computer specs and the options my BIOS offers for overclocking i and kindly ask you to point me to what should i be modifying.

Computer specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte m61pme-s2p
CPU: Phenom x3 8750 2.4ghz
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770( i believe this doesn't really matter but just making sure)
Memory:3 GB DDR2 403 DRAM freq

BIOS overclocking options exactly as they appear:

GPU Bank Flip

CPU Frequency

k8<->NB HT Speed (modifying options varying from 1x up to 5x and auto of course)

k8<->NB HT Width (modifying options : "arrow pointing down"8 "arrow pointing up"8 and "arrow pointing down"16 "arrow pointing down"16

DRAM Config

PCIE Spread Spectrum

SATA Spread Spectrum

HT Spread Spectrum (which seems locked)

PCIE Clock MHz

CPU clock ratio (modifying options varying from x5 up to x8)

CPU north bridge freq (options varying from x5 up to x20)

Robust Graphics Booster

VGA card clock (locked)

Now i kindly ask you,the more experienced guys,to lend me a hand and point me into the right directions to overclock this thing.

Thanks in advance!

PS: Mods , If i posted into the wrong section please don't delete/lock the thread and move it instead.

CPU Frequency = what are the choices there? 200 thru what?

Where is the CPU Voltage setting?

Those are pretty old boards and may not have all the options seen in a good bios today. Or the bios options may go by odd/different names.

Hey thanks for the fast reply!

The CPU frequency can be rised from 200 up to 300 by 1 increment.

I don't know about the voltage options though,what i posted are the exact options i got.

in the DRAM Config there's a whole new page of options if i pess enter,can it be there?

Page #63 of the motherboard manual.

>> 4-3 EasyTune 5
EasyTuneTM 5, an easy-to-use and convenient system overclocking and management tool, lets you do overclock and overvoltage in Windows environment, eliminating the need to enter the BIOS Setup program. EasyTune 5 provides the following functions (Note 1): overclocking/overvoltage, C.I.A./M.I.B. (Note 2), smart fan control, and hardware monitoring and warning. (For instructions on using EasyTune5, read or download the information on/from the Support\Motherboard\Utility page on our website.)<<

That is 'why' you don't see any voltage bios options. They are using some wonky software to do the overclocking. Not so good. The part I copied above tells you where to go to get information about using that software. We almost exclusively overclock from the bios but that cheap board does not have such in bios. Good luck.

Thank you!

Yes i know i got a cheap and old mobo,i'm planning on getting both a cpu and a mobo the next month and that's why i'm trying my luck on the current one.

I'll try using that software and let you know how it went,if it did at all :)

Ok so EasyTune doesn't want to start in any way or form.

Can you guys recommend me another similar software and a little bit of insight about it?

That version of Easy Tune may be dated and not compatible with the new CPU. Is there a later one available on the Gigbited wed site? What's the TDP rating of that motherboard? The CPU is rated for 125 watts. I'm thinking that board is not up to it.

That version of Easy Tune may be dated and not compatible with the new CPU. Is there a later one available on the Gigbited wed site? What's the TDP rating of that motherboard? The CPU is rated for 125 watts. I'm thinking that board is not up to it.

Hi

I've indeed tried both the version of easytuned aformentioned and the latest,neither worked.

Also i have no idea what TDP is.

TDP is "Total Design Power" and refers to the power rating of the motherboard with respect to the power rating of the CPU you would be pairing it with. Inexpensive, budget type motherboards are commonly rated for 95W (W=watt) TDP where as the CPU you are trying to run on it is a 125 watt CPU. You really don't want to run a power hungry CPU on a low power board.

Sorry, man. I should have been paying more attention. You have the first generation Phenom 8750. I was reading that as FX 8750 or the new Bulldozer line. Duh! That CPU should work fine on that motherboard at stock frequencies and voltages. It is only a 95W CPU and may overclock a little bit if you just raise the CPU frequency. Do it in 5 mhz increments and test for stability by running "Prime95" blend tests for 20 minutes after each increase. Prime95 is a freeware stress tester most of us use around here to test the stability of our overclocks. Also have the temp monitoring program, "HWMonitor" open on your desktop and monitor for the core temps and the "CPU" temps of the CPU. You don't want to let either of them exceed about 65c. I'm assuming you have the stock factory CPU cooler in place. Unfortunately you will only be able to overclock a little because you don't have bios setting that would allow you to bump up the CPU voltage to support a higher overclock.

Last edited:
Hi and thanks!

I tried and brought it up to 210 in two phases but CPU-Z didn't notice any difference, it still says it runs at 2.4ghz.

Are you sure you saved the changes you made in bios before exiting it? Usually, after you make the change you can press F10 and it will prompt you to accept or reject the change.

Hi again

Yes i did save them,in BIOS it shows that it is set to 210 but CPU-Z still shows 200.

Last edited:
I have seen this before on the forum with regard to boards with Nvidia chipsets. It's a bug in the bios. Is there a newer bios available for this board?

I have seen this before on the forum with regard to boards with Nvidia chipsets. It's a bug in the bios. Is there a newer bios available for this board?

I have checked Gigabyte's website and its download section.It seems there are 2 types of BIOS (one from 2009 and one from 2010) but neither wants to install it says they are not compatible with windows 7 64 bit.

There are other ways to install bios updates. The best and most foolproof way is to install the bios update from a self-booting flash drive or floppy disk. That would bypass the Windows 64-bit compatibility issue.

Back